TagEditor 7.0: Order in tags altered. Why and How do I correct it?
Thread poster: Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña

Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:05
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
Sep 20, 2011

Hello guys!
I am here because I thought you could help me with something.
When translating a document with tag editor I have a problem with the tags. In general, The tags are left out side the translation unit, so the translation unit is only text. Like this:

However, at some point in the document it started including the tag inside the translation unit. Like this:

And what is the problem?
Well, first of all, that I have to insert the tag or the whole thing will be messed up. Second, next time the unit appears, but with a different tag, I will only get a "fuzzy" match as the tag in the TU will not match.

Why does it happen? Hoe can I solve it?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!

Regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:05
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Formatting issues Sep 20, 2011

I would recommend you learning how formatting works and what are tags.
A good way to get a feeling of the whole is to create a small html file and try to apply bold or italic formatting there.

Unless you are an expert on tags and know what they exactly do you should neither delete nor move tags in document.
However, if you have more than just the obvious formatting tags, I would consider checking the formatting of the source, as many advanced formatting (like spacing for example) can easily be removed there and is not necessary for the target.

Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:05
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Sep 20, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I would recommend you learning how formatting works and what are tags.
A good way to get a feeling of the whole is to create a small html file and try to apply bold or italic formatting there.

Unless you are an expert on tags and know what they exactly do you should neither delete nor move tags in document.
However, if you have more than just the obvious formatting tags, I would consider checking the formatting of the source, as many advanced formatting (like spacing for example) can easily be removed there and is not necessary for the target.

Luckily, I understand how the whole tag thing work. I can write html and javascript without major problems. Not with TagEditor though

Therefore I don't understand why it would randomly decide to place the same tag sometimes inside and sometimes outside the unit. Well, the answer is probably that "it is not random" but if there is a pattern or rule, I don't see it. :S

Thanks for taking your time to help me!
Regards,

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:05
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do a very small test Sep 20, 2011

Create a simple Word file.
Set the Normal style to someting.
Type two or three lines of text.
Select the whole text and apply different formatting, ie other font and size.
Copy this text, paste below.
Select just part of one or two sentences and press CTRL+D, go to Spacing tab and set spacing to "Condensed" and the value to "0.1 point". Press OK
Insert again this text portion below and apply bold formatting to some words.
Save the file, open in TagEditor and show there "Full Tag text". Now you should easily understand how it works.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:05
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Formatting applied to entire TUs or only to segments/words within TUs Sep 20, 2011

Hi Juan Manuel,

It's very likely that you have some text where the formatting, for example bold, is applied to the whole translation unit, let's say a sentence. In that case the tags will stay outside the TU.

But if within the sentence there is only one word, for example, that is in italics, then the tags for italics will be applied to that word only and will therefore need to be inside the TU.

There is no way to "fix" this in TagEditor, but you could alter the formatting in your source file if you're allowed to do that.

Now, as Jerzy points out, some tags are not as simple as those to apply bold, underline or italics. Sometimes a document will have some crazy internal formatting that is not visible to the naked eye, such as character kerning and tracking, where some letters are compressed while some others are not, even within a single word, and all of this is picked up by TagEditor (or Studio, for that matter).

If you do Jerzy's test, this will make even more sense.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 7.0: Order in tags altered. Why and How do I correct it?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search