Beginner question Clean up in Trados 2007
Thread poster: Marion Kovalchuk-van der Neut
Marion Kovalchuk-van der Neut
Ukrainian to Dutch
Sep 21, 2011

I have a problem with Clean up in Trados 2007 after translation.
I guess it's because I save my files the wrong way.
Please share: how am I supposed to save my files after receiving them,
and after translation?

May be you see where I make the mistake.
Upon receipt, I create a client folder. In folder, I create: Original, Reference, Translated and TM folders.
I place the file to be translated in Original, and in Translated, and start working on the one in the Translated folder.
Then, when I'm finished and want to clean up, I always get an error message for file not found.

Any advice is appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you working with TagEditor? Sep 21, 2011

TagEditor is very finicky when it comes to changes in file location and file name. All files should be kept in their original location if possible.

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:44
German to English
+ ...
Close file before cleanup? Sep 21, 2011

You didn't say you are using TagEditor and so I assume you're talking about Trados Workbench. I cannot see anything wrong with what you're doing but remember you must close the file you have been working on before cleanup. This

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
File not found Sep 22, 2011

Indeed. This is the correct behaviour if the only thing you got for translation is a TTX file.

TTX files are made with TagEditor by opening another kind of file (for instance a Word file, Excel file, INX file from InDesign...) and saving it as a bilingual file (TTX) for translation.

If the customer gave you just a TTX file, you cannot (and are not expected to) save the target file (a translated Word file, Excel file, INX file...) in your target language, which is what Trados tries to do when you do a cleanup. Just return the translated TTX file to your customer. If you want to update your memory, do a cleanup but remember that the "File not found" error is normal in this case.

If on the other hand the customer sent you the original source file along with the bilingual TTX file, you might be expected (ask your customer) to make the file out of your TTX file. In order to do that, save that source file in the same folder of the TTX file you want to cleanup, so that Trados can make the translated final file from your TTX file. You can also make the target file form TagEditor by opening the TTX file and using the File - Save target as... command.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2011-09-22 08:19 GMT]

Marion Kovalchuk-van der Neut
Ukrainian to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
This was helpful. Sep 23, 2011

Dear Tomas, That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks! Thanks to everyone else too, who took the effort to answer.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're welcome! Sep 23, 2011

Marion Kovalchuk-van der Neut wrote:
Dear Tomas, That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks! Thanks to everyone else too, who took the effort to answer.

You are most welcome. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner question Clean up in Trados 2007

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search