Verena Milbers
Verena Milbers  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2011

Dear all,

Since one year I try in vain to install correctly Trados on my PC. I am working with Trados Studio 2009, but there is no way to make the Trados 2007 Suite component work.
The installation order was correct. (1. 2007 Suite, 2. Trados Studio 2009, 3. Multiterm).

Problem: The Trados8.dotm file with the 2007 Suite symbols (i mean the Add-Ins such as "to open a segment" etc) deactivates itself automatically and there is no possibility to save these add-ins.<
... See more
Dear all,

Since one year I try in vain to install correctly Trados on my PC. I am working with Trados Studio 2009, but there is no way to make the Trados 2007 Suite component work.
The installation order was correct. (1. 2007 Suite, 2. Trados Studio 2009, 3. Multiterm).

Problem: The Trados8.dotm file with the 2007 Suite symbols (i mean the Add-Ins such as "to open a segment" etc) deactivates itself automatically and there is no possibility to save these add-ins.

Every time I close a Word document in order to reopen it, the add ins have disappeared.
I use Windows 7, 32 bit with the Windows office package 2010 which is reputed to be compatible with Trados 2009 and 2007!!!
Do not know what to do.

anybody has an idea?
many thanks in advance

Verena
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You certainly mean Word 2010 Sep 21, 2011

and this is no wonder TBH.
Word 2010 is not really officially supported by Trados 2007.
In fact the best would be to install Word 2003, which works with Trados 2007 without any problems. You will also be able to use Word 2007.
I know there are people using Word 2010, but there is no guarantee you will be able to make this running on your PC.

BTW, where do you have the information from, that Office 2010 is compatible with Trados 2007? In fact this should be the oth
... See more
and this is no wonder TBH.
Word 2010 is not really officially supported by Trados 2007.
In fact the best would be to install Word 2003, which works with Trados 2007 without any problems. You will also be able to use Word 2007.
I know there are people using Word 2010, but there is no guarantee you will be able to make this running on your PC.

BTW, where do you have the information from, that Office 2010 is compatible with Trados 2007? In fact this should be the other way round and I do not know about any compatibility of Trados 2007 with Word 2010.

Here is a quote from SDL Knowledge Base:
Symptoms
SDL Trados 2007 Suite is installed successfully but the Trados toolbar is not available when you try to use Microsoft Word 2010 as a translation environment for SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 2007.
Explanation

SDL Trados 2007 was available before Microsoft Word 2010 was released. For this reason, SDL Trados 2007 does not detect Microsoft 2010, so by default the toolbar is not available as an interface for translation in Microsoft Word 2010.

The latest version of our software that works out of the box with Microsoft Word 2007 is SDL Trados 2007 Suite. The following knowledge base article will help you troubleshoot any issues you may have using the Trados toolbar in Microsoft Word 2007 and 2003: #2086.
Resolution

With the introduction of SDL Trados Studio 2009, the Trados toolbar for Microsoft Word is now obsolete. However, even though SDL Trados 2007 Suite does not by default install the toolbar for Microsoft Word as a translation environment, it is still possible to use the SDL Trados 2007 Suite toolbar in Microsoft Word 2010, as a legacy product. This has been confirmed by testing that Microsoft Word 2010 is compatible with the Trados 2007 toolbar.

To use Trados 2007 toolbar with Microsoft Office 2010, hook up Word 2010 with SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 2007, as follows:

Close all SDL Trados / MultiTerm and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, etc.).
To ensure that Microsoft Word is not running, open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. If Winword.exe is listed, select this, right-click and select End Process from the shortcut menu.
Locate the template file Trados8.dotm in the folder C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates.
Copy that file into one of the following folders:
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup\
On Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup\
Locate MultiTerm8.dotm in the folder C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Multiterm\Multiterm8\Templates\.
Copy that file into one of the following folders:
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup\
On Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup\
Note: If a file with the same name already exists in the folder, overwrite that file.
Start Microsoft Word 2010. You should now be able to again use SDL Trados Translator's Workbench or SDL MultiTerm from within Microsoft Word 2010.

Note

File Types: While it is possible to continue using Microsoft Word 2010 with SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 2007 as described in this article, only SDL Trados Studio 2009 is fully compatible and supported with all Microsoft Office 2010 file formats. No filter will be developed for SDL Trados 2007 Suite that will allow translation of Office 2010 files natively. If you are planning on translating Microsoft Office 2010 files natively (using an SDL translation environment instead of the Trados toolbar in Microsoft Word) we recommend that you upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2009 as a more future-proof longer term solution.
Please be aware that we only support the 32-bit version of MS Office 2010. The 64-bit variant of MS Office 2010 is currently not supported, for more information refer to article #3393.

[Edited at 2011-09-21 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Tony Moen
Tony Moen
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Alternative option? Feb 15, 2012

I installed Office 2010 yesterday and get the TWorkbench 2007 toolbar allright (under Plug-ins), but while the Open Segment keyboard shortcut works, alt num+ calls the formula bar (which used to be under Insert Object in Word 2003).
I can get set-close-next with the mouse, bot that's a bother.

Since the formula bar is a useful Word feature, and Crt num+ seems to be unoccupied in Word 2010, couldn't the Trados function be reallocated to this (or another) keystroke combination?<
... See more
I installed Office 2010 yesterday and get the TWorkbench 2007 toolbar allright (under Plug-ins), but while the Open Segment keyboard shortcut works, alt num+ calls the formula bar (which used to be under Insert Object in Word 2003).
I can get set-close-next with the mouse, bot that's a bother.

Since the formula bar is a useful Word feature, and Crt num+ seems to be unoccupied in Word 2010, couldn't the Trados function be reallocated to this (or another) keystroke combination?

Tony Moen
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 14:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
Working around the shortcut keys Apr 24, 2012

The reason for Trados keyboard shortcuts not to work is the conflict between Trados shortcuts & Word assigned shortcuts.

Solution that worked with Word 2007:

Assign another shortcut that matched your desire as follows:
Right-click a free space on Word menu bar and select “Customize Quick Access Toolbar…” >> Click “Customize…” button located down>> under “Categories:” select “Macros>> under “Macros:” select “tw4win???" where “???” is the
... See more
The reason for Trados keyboard shortcuts not to work is the conflict between Trados shortcuts & Word assigned shortcuts.

Solution that worked with Word 2007:

Assign another shortcut that matched your desire as follows:
Right-click a free space on Word menu bar and select “Customize Quick Access Toolbar…” >> Click “Customize…” button located down>> under “Categories:” select “Macros>> under “Macros:” select “tw4win???" where “???” is the command you need to assign shortcut for.

Locate your cursor on “Press new shortcut key” box and press your desired shortcut key.

Done
Kind regards
Collapse

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other shortcuts Apr 25, 2012

With Word 2007 you can use ctrl instead of alt to make the keyboard shortcuts. This probably works with 2010 as well.
Alternatively you can also use ctrl-alt and I think z, v, or N to go to the next segment (not sure which one it is). this is especially handy on laptops with a limited keyboard.
So I press alt-home to open the segment, then ctrl-+ to go to the next.

[Edited at 2012-04-25 16:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL 2007 Suite does not work with Windows 2010

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »