Trados Studio Freelance Plus in a small Windows-network
Thread poster: Fredrik Larsson

Fredrik Larsson
Local time: 16:30
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 22, 2011

Hi,

I have a small Windows-network and would like to buy a Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus version. However, the sales person at SDL claims it's not possible to install a freelance version on a network even as small as mine. I need a professional licence. Is this really true??

Greatful for any input from current users.

Best regards

Fredrik Larsson

Wordbusters Translations AB
Sweden

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
users? Sep 22, 2011

Seems like the question here is not if a network exists or not, but how many Trados applications you want to run concurrently. Apart from the technical aspect if Freelance will install on a server....

Fredrik Larsson
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only one user Sep 22, 2011

I am the only user for this Freelence licence, but the sales person tells me it's not possible to install a Freelance version in a Windows network environment, as it will enter demo mode......

Fredrik Larsson
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No server Sep 22, 2011

Just wanted to add that the program will be installed on a PC, not on a server. The network we have is a Windows workgroup of 3 computers. But the Studio application will only be used on one PC.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't see why not Sep 22, 2011

If the installation will be on a local computer, it doesn't matter if the computer is part of a workgroup. The software will be available on the computer where it is installed.

With a Freelance Plus version you can install it in two computers (a desktop and a laptop, for example), and each copy of the software is only available in the computer where it is installed.

By the way, this is not only an assumption, it's actually my set-up, there's another two computers in my Windows workgroup (not including my laptop), and out of all three, only my computer has Studio (Freelance Plus).

[Edited at 2011-09-22 18:47 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Clarification Sep 23, 2011

Hi Fredrik,

I think this KB article should clear thinks up: http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2671&p=1

In Summary:
Studio Freelance works on regular networks (workgroups), regardless of how many there are.
It doesn't run on Domain networks.

Cheers,
Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio Freelance Plus in a small Windows-network

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search