Can I import TMXL files into Trados 2007
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:13
French to English
Sep 24, 2011

Help, I received a job yesterday from an agency, and did not have a chance to ask the PM this question. The job is for this Tuesday 27th, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

The job consists of 2 large Word files to translate, with a .txt file which I THINK is a Wordfast file, I tried to import it into my newly created Trados TM, which it appeared to do, however it said 'Import finished successfully, 0 TUs added.' I know this company uses Wordfast and I told them I don't have it, but they were still happy to send me this job.

However, there are 2 .tmxl files as well which I'm sure are TM files, and I cannot work out how to import these into my TM, & when I try to open either of them individually a window pops up saying SDLX has stopped working and tells me to close the programme, although my Trados TM still remains open. Does this mean these TMXL files are a later version of Trados/SDLX, eg Studio, which I dont have. I'm reluctant to download a trial version of Wordfast as I'm not familiar with it. and I'm happy with Trados 2007 which I know very well, even though it's out of date now. I already searched the Trados/SDLX technical forums here and elsewhere but haven't found an answer. I found a workaround on Wordfast's site but it was only for TXM files so didn't work...

I could of course do this job with my own newly created TM but as the agency has sent TM files I should really be using these.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.

Jenny Duthie

Direct link Reply with quote

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:13
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
some ideas Sep 24, 2011

Jenny Duthie wrote:
However, there are 2 .tmxl files as well which I'm sure are TM files, and I cannot work out how to import these into my TM, & when I try to open either of them individually a window pops up saying SDLX has stopped working and tells me to close the programme, although my Trados TM still remains open.

TXML files are Wordfast Pro bilingual files and can be opened with Wordfast Pro.

If the TXT file you received is a TM generated from Wordfast, you will not be able to directly import it into Trados. You can import it into an empty Wordfast TM and then export it in TMX format so that you can import the TMX into your Trados memory. I think you can also import the TXT TM into Xbench for general reference.

HTH

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
re: importing TXML files - Wordfast Pro - into Trados Sep 24, 2011

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

TXML files are Wordfast Pro bilingual files and can be opened with Wordfast Pro.

Thanks very much Cristiana, however will I be able to import the TXML files into Trados as well once I've opened them in Wordfast Pro (provided I can download a trial version of this??) & followed your instructions for the tmx file?

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:13
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Problematic Sep 25, 2011

Jenny Duthie wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Thanks very much Cristiana, however will I be able to import the TXML files into Trados as well once I've opened them in Wordfast Pro (provided I can download a trial version of this??) & followed your instructions for the tmx file?

You can download a trial version of Wordfast Pro from their website. It is best to translate the TXML files using Wordfast Pro. If the files are not too large you can translate them using the trail version of Wordfast Pro. You can try opening the TXML files in TagEditor, but you will need an .ini file for this type of file which you have to build yourself because it does not exist. FYI, I never tried this and I do not know how if works out.

If you have the source Word files, I would simply translate those using the TM provided by the client. If you only have the TXML files and you do not want to use Wordfast to translate them, I would ask the client for the source Word files.

Good luck.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
how do I export the Wordfast TM to TMX, and then the TMX into my into my Trados TM? Sep 25, 2011

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

If the TXT file you received is a TM generated from Wordfast, you will not be able to directly import it into Trados. You can import it into an empty Wordfast TM and then export it in TMX format so that you can import the TMX into your Trados memory. I think you can also import the TXT TM into Xbench for general reference.

HTH

Thanks very much Cristiana, I've downloaded a trial versiono of Wordfast Pro, opened a new Wordfast TM and imported the txt file into the new Wordfast TM, as you suggested. However, I've been looking on Wordfast's site and it says:

"Translation Memories
TMX is the universal format for exchanging translation memory files between different TM tools. To import diffrerent TM files into the Wordfast environment you simply need to export these as TMX files.
With Wordfast:
To import a TMX file, simply “open” it in Wordfast/Translation memories by using the “Select TM” button.
*** To export the current TM to TMX: Use the TM/Glossary editor > Tools > Special filters > Export to TMX."

The sentence above preceded by 3 asterisks is the part I'm having trouble with now; in Wordfast I cannot see the tab - TM/Glossary editor > Tools > Special Filters > Export to TMX

Your advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry please ignore my last post - looks like the Wordfast TM is blank!! Sep 25, 2011

Sorry please ignore my last post looks like the Word TM is blank!!

thanks for your help Cristiana it will come in useful in the future.

Best regards

Jenny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I import TMXL files into Trados 2007

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search