Pauline Eloi (X)
Pauline Eloi (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
English to French
+ ...
Sep 25, 2011

Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the 30 days trial version for SDL Trados studio 2009, as a client of mine required his document to be translated with this software. The installation when well. However, when I tried to open the files (in .xlsx format), or the TM on its own, a Windows message appears telling me Trados stopped working. It offers me to debug the software but when I click on this option, it just doesn't do it and Trados stops working. I don't really know what to do and
... See more
Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the 30 days trial version for SDL Trados studio 2009, as a client of mine required his document to be translated with this software. The installation when well. However, when I tried to open the files (in .xlsx format), or the TM on its own, a Windows message appears telling me Trados stopped working. It offers me to debug the software but when I click on this option, it just doesn't do it and Trados stops working. I don't really know what to do and I need this problem to be solved quickly to start my job... Has anybody already experienced this problem ? Could anybody help me ?
Thank you.
Collapse

Samantha Challinor
Samantha Challinor
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
I may have had the same problem... Sep 25, 2011

I had problems with the trial version too. I am not sure if they are the same as yours but I will try to recall them!

As I recall, my problem was anything involving the "Projects tab". Trying to open a file to work with this way would take a long time and then ultimately freeze and close the programme. I had to open anything I wanted to work with via the "Files" tab, and then I could go ahead and work on it.

I didn't buy the full version in the end, however, hence my va
... See more
I had problems with the trial version too. I am not sure if they are the same as yours but I will try to recall them!

As I recall, my problem was anything involving the "Projects tab". Trying to open a file to work with this way would take a long time and then ultimately freeze and close the programme. I had to open anything I wanted to work with via the "Files" tab, and then I could go ahead and work on it.

I didn't buy the full version in the end, however, hence my vagueness!
Collapse

Pauline Eloi (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My problem involves all the tabs Sep 25, 2011

I tried to open my files via the project / files tab and it always stops working as soon as I try to open it. The same happens when I try to open a TM via the TM tab... And what is the most annoying is that it does not tell me why, it just tells me there has been a problem and it had to stop working...

Samantha Challinor
Samantha Challinor
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
I would perhaps try a re-install... Sep 25, 2011

But I know this is time you would rather be spending on your project, and I am also not sure how it would affect the free trial (e.g. are you allowed only one download?)

Pauline Eloi (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works ! at last... Sep 25, 2011

I've just tried to repair it in the display panel, it didn't work the first time, but now it doesHope it'll last. Thank you for your help. Have a nice day.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Some suggestions Sep 25, 2011

I recommend doing the following:

1. To open your xlsx file go to "home", "open document" and go through the Wizard. Assign the TM you have been given (presumably in sdltm format) when asked to do so.

2. If Studio crashes, do the same with an ordinary .doc file (this way you can rule out whether you've been sent a corrupted file).

3. If Studio still crashes, close it, go to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\ and delete or rena
... See more
I recommend doing the following:

1. To open your xlsx file go to "home", "open document" and go through the Wizard. Assign the TM you have been given (presumably in sdltm format) when asked to do so.

2. If Studio crashes, do the same with an ordinary .doc file (this way you can rule out whether you've been sent a corrupted file).

3. If Studio still crashes, close it, go to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\ and delete or rename the 3 files called BaseSettings.xml, Plugincache.xml, UserSettings.xml. Now restart Studio and try to open your file again.

If that doesn't work you'll have to wait for someone else to come up with some different ideas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados trial version bugs when I open a files/TM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »