XML codes in Excel file
Thread poster: JoeFixit
JoeFixit
JoeFixit  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
English to Norwegian
Sep 26, 2011

Hi!

I have a large Excel file that containts a lot of XML/HTML encoding (which is not to be touched). Is it any way to get SDL Trados 2009 (or 2007 for that matter) to lock the coding and that only the text will be open for translation? As it is now, it's impossible to get an accurate word count and it will be very cumbersome for the translator.

Thanks

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:14
French to English
+ ...
ini file Sep 27, 2011

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the .ini file, which is like a definition file for the xml encoding. I had to translate a huge xml encoded file once and there was a way to load the .ini defninition file into Trados Studio. Once I did that i only saw the text and didn't have to worry about the encoding. When I was done, I saved the file using file, save target as, and the encoding came back. Search for .ini in this forum and you should find what you need. The only probl... See more
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the .ini file, which is like a definition file for the xml encoding. I had to translate a huge xml encoded file once and there was a way to load the .ini defninition file into Trados Studio. Once I did that i only saw the text and didn't have to worry about the encoding. When I was done, I saved the file using file, save target as, and the encoding came back. Search for .ini in this forum and you should find what you need. The only problem you might have is if you don't have the original .ini file. Perhaps the client has it? I hope this helps.Collapse

JoeFixit
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
No, this is an XLSX file, not XML Sep 27, 2011

No, this is an XLSX file, so there isn't any need for an .ini-file (nor can I choose one, I think).

I think it's an export from a database or something, cause there is a lot of HTML codes in the individual cells. And this is the problem, because I cannot get a proper word count. I need to make Trados understand that the HTML codes should be treated like tags, not text. But that is not easy with an XLSX file.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
memoQ Sep 27, 2011

JoeFixit wrote:

No, this is an XLSX file, so there isn't any need for an .ini-file (nor can I choose one, I think).

I think it's an export from a database or something, cause there is a lot of HTML codes in the individual cells. And this is the problem, because I cannot get a proper word count. I need to make Trados understand that the HTML codes should be treated like tags, not text. But that is not easy with an XLSX file.

Use memoQ instead.
It permits to cascade filters i.e . after the XSLX text extraction, the results may be processed with the HTML filter.

Cheers
GG

JoeFixit
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 27, 2011

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
Export from Excel Sep 27, 2011

You could try exporting the XL file as a delimited text file. Then change the file extension to XML so that the file type is correctly recognised. Translate this in Trados and then, if hopefully your delimiting characters (say TAB or semicolon) are still intact, import it into Excel again.

You may have to fiddle with the delimiters to stop them interfering with the process.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML codes in Excel file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »