Thread poster: Signe Golly

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:57
Danish to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2011

Good morning!
I'm hoping that someone on here can tell me if I'm missing something.
I received a project from a large, well-known agency whom I've worked for before. They sent me several ttx files and a TM that must be used both because the pay is based on Trados matches/fuzzies, etc. and to ensure consistency since the end client is a huge, international company. So far, so good.
BUT - the source language for the ttx files is set to UK English and the source language for the TM is set to US English. Both appear to be locked; at least I can't find a way to change them. I work in Studio 2009 and the program says "no way, no how" when I try to open the ttx files and apply the supplied TM.
I contacted the agency about the issue. Their response was that the source language was English for both the ttx files and the TM so there shouldn't be a problem and that this was confirmed by dozens of other translators working on the project (I'm assuming that these other translators are probably working on other languages pairs for these same files though). When I said that it is a problem and I'm not able to even start working, they said they'd look into it. But I haven't heard back from them yet and the deadline is creeping closer.
Words of advice? "Home remedies"?
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Create a new TM Sep 28, 2011

Can you export the TM and create a new one with source language UK English to match the TTX?

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm a Trados dummy Sep 28, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:

Can you export the TM and create a new one with source language UK English to match the TTX?

Thanks, Hazel!
I knew there had to be some way but I'm quite the Trados dummy and couldn't figure it out. But yes - that was, of course, the solution and now I'm ready to get to work

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another approach Sep 28, 2011

The TTX files can be opened as text files (I think that with UTF-8 encoding), for instance in MS Word.

Open the TTX files and do a global search for "EN-GB", replacing with "EN-US". Save the files. This changes the language flavour of the TTX file.

Done!

Edited to add this: Include the quotes in the search, but also make sure the Smart Quotes feature in MS Word is disabled if you use that application to do the search and replace. Otherwise you will end up with TTX files full of curly quotes Trados does not support in that location.

[Edited at 2011-09-28 07:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

mismatched source languages in TM and ttx; client says no problem

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search