https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/208570-studio_2011_has_been_released.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2011 has been released
Thread poster: Atso Puronen
Atso Puronen
Atso Puronen
Local time: 02:59
English to Finnish
Sep 28, 2011

Hi,

No posts on the subject yet so I started one. Either people haven't noticed the release or they are too afraid to install and try it out

Studio 2011 was released yesterday, 27th or September 2011.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:59
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

I hope... Sep 28, 2011

I hope SDL management has not rushed things like they did with v2009 and the new v2011 will not require several years and the release of multiple Service Packs to get up to speed (and it is still crashing on the day of the release of the new version).

I for one will be looking forward to reading user comments on this forum before I decide to pay the upgrade price. I will most probably upgrade in due course, but with SDL's history of providing buggy solutions, which are then patched
... See more
I hope SDL management has not rushed things like they did with v2009 and the new v2011 will not require several years and the release of multiple Service Packs to get up to speed (and it is still crashing on the day of the release of the new version).

I for one will be looking forward to reading user comments on this forum before I decide to pay the upgrade price. I will most probably upgrade in due course, but with SDL's history of providing buggy solutions, which are then patched up for years (and never completely fixed), I will make sure that the new version does not put my work in jeopardy.

Kind regards,
PTs
Collapse

Gilberto Allesina
Gilberto Allesina  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What If... Sep 28, 2011

After suffering countless indeciphrable error messages with Trados Studio (I hate software developers which don't consider end users are language professionals, not software developers), unstable behaviour and misterious crashes, I consider this a valid software, but I hate SDL policy of putting such a truly beta version on the market. My concern is: are they improving this software considering we have infinite budgets to update our computers to handle the CPU usage it demands? Have they include... See more
After suffering countless indeciphrable error messages with Trados Studio (I hate software developers which don't consider end users are language professionals, not software developers), unstable behaviour and misterious crashes, I consider this a valid software, but I hate SDL policy of putting such a truly beta version on the market. My concern is: are they improving this software considering we have infinite budgets to update our computers to handle the CPU usage it demands? Have they included a simple but vital feature as an Autosave button?
I think, considering all the time (and money) I've lost with Studio crashes, they should give us the update to 2011 version FOR FREE!
Collapse

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 20:59
English to Portuguese
Me too Sep 28, 2011

I will most probably upgrade in due course, but with SDL's history of providing buggy solutions, which are then patched up for years (and never completely fixed), I will make sure that the new version does not put my work in jeopardy.

So the question is who will take the chances?

Given such history of reliability problems, perhaps a good approach would to be to offer trial versions (with no kind of limitation) for a period of two months, for example. So us users can check if the bugs had really been fixed and the upgrade is worth the price - and most important, the risk.

I guess implementing a timer mechanism would make it possible to stop the software from operating after the set period. So the risk of people using the software without purchasing a licence after this trial months would be minimum for SDL. Considering, of course, that such timer mechanism does not come bugged

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:59
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Another thread on the subject Sep 28, 2011

Atso Puronen wrote:

No posts on the subject yet so I started one.

There's one here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/208519-should_i_upgrade_to_sdl_trados_2011.html
(It's in the smart shoppers forum)

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
FAQs Sep 28, 2011

Hi all,

we have created a couple of FAQs on our KB regarding 2011 which might help answer some questions:

http://kb.sdl.com/index.aspx?t=faq

Cheers,
Luis

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Happy with it Sep 28, 2011

Hi colleagues,

I have been working with Trados and SDLX since 2003. I've lived through lots of frustration, endless searches for solutions to error messages, re-installs, etc. You might know what I'm talking about...

But since about 48 hours I am a very happy owner and user of Studio 2011, and I already feel that my productivity went up. I am sure that with more knowledge about the software (I never used the more similar Studio 2009 because I never managed to get a bug-
... See more
Hi colleagues,

I have been working with Trados and SDLX since 2003. I've lived through lots of frustration, endless searches for solutions to error messages, re-installs, etc. You might know what I'm talking about...

But since about 48 hours I am a very happy owner and user of Studio 2011, and I already feel that my productivity went up. I am sure that with more knowledge about the software (I never used the more similar Studio 2009 because I never managed to get a bug-free installation) I will become even faster.

So far it works like a charm and I can only recommend getting it.

Stefanie
Collapse

MartinPorto
MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:59
French to English
+ ...
I must be the lucky one! Sep 28, 2011

I must be the lucky one out of ALL Studio customers, I have not had any issues at all!

I found Studio easy to install, and it runs like a dream, I like the features and interface, and compared to my old version 6.5, well, there is no point in even trying to compare is there.

I am running two installations of Studio, both machines are very similar, running Vista Bis, or Home, One has Office 2003 Enterprise version, and the other 2010, again no problems at all.
Both
... See more
I must be the lucky one out of ALL Studio customers, I have not had any issues at all!

I found Studio easy to install, and it runs like a dream, I like the features and interface, and compared to my old version 6.5, well, there is no point in even trying to compare is there.

I am running two installations of Studio, both machines are very similar, running Vista Bis, or Home, One has Office 2003 Enterprise version, and the other 2010, again no problems at all.
Both machines are quite heavily loaded with software, and very often there is a lot of stuff running at the same time. Both machines are dual core pentiums with 4gb RAM, raided HDs and multi monitor video cards, decent setups by any standards!

I think its only fair to consider the fact that many of the complaints we hear about Studio crashes etc. and other software for that matter, may well be due to computer configurations, lack of resources, and often indeed, lack of maintenance, who defrags their hard drives, cleans up the system once in a while? Not to mention things like outdated antivirus software, sloppy security measures, and so on and so on and so on!

And no, I dont work for Trados, I am just happy with what I am using, after all, it makes my life easier!

[Edited at 2011-09-28 11:27 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Upgrading from Studio 2009 Sep 28, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi all,

we have created a couple of FAQs on our KB regarding 2011 which might help answer some questions:

http://kb.sdl.com/index.aspx?t=faq

Cheers,
Luis

Thanks Luis, but now I am confused. I've read that Studio 2009 and 2011 can coexist on the same computer, but the upgrade video says I need to return my Studio 2009 license in order to upgrade it to 2011. On my Licences page for Studio Freelance 2009 it says "This license is supplied with Extra Activations". So, can I keep 2009 and how do I go about it? If I can't, then I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon, because I need to be compatible with my clients.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Upgrade Sep 28, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Thanks Luis, but now I am confused. I've read that Studio 2009 and 2011 can coexist on the same computer, but the upgrade video says I need to return my Studio 2009 license in order to upgrade it to 2011. On my Licences page for Studio Freelance 2009 it says "This license is supplied with Extra Activations". So, can I keep 2009 and how do I go about it? If I can't, then I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon, because I need to be compatible with my clients.

Hi Adam,

You just need to "return" it on our website, not on your actual machine, as it's an upgrade rather than a new license. So you can continue to use 2009 for as long as the license remains on your PC. If you move to another machine, or have to rebuild your PC or operating system then you will probably lose it. The only one you can activate and deactivate whenever you like then is Studio 2011.

Studio 2011 is fully compatible to 2009 and 2007, so we don't anticipate you to have any reason to keep on 2009.
2011 will handle 2009 packages, and can create packages specifically for 2009
if you want.

The move from 2009 to 2011 is not as big a move as 2007 to 2009 was.

Best Regards,
Luis

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
2011 = 2009 SP4 Sep 28, 2011

Reading this document confirmed for me that Studio 2011 should be called Studio 2009, SP4:

http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=12&cpc=qb8RGxWgV7DN67jch65JW5N8M4TEJLa6&cid=1&t=&r=0.82310026884079

Some of the new features, like track changes, and Word spelling dictionaries seem like fluff to me; bett
... See more
Reading this document confirmed for me that Studio 2011 should be called Studio 2009, SP4:

http://kb.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=12&cpc=qb8RGxWgV7DN67jch65JW5N8M4TEJLa6&cid=1&t=&r=0.82310026884079

Some of the new features, like track changes, and Word spelling dictionaries seem like fluff to me; better perfect match may be nice, I don't know. The improved filtering capability should have been there in the first place, as should have been compatibility with Trados' own bilingual files and better integration with Multiterm, SDLs own tool.

Oh, and it comes with Known Issues!
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Luis Sep 28, 2011

SDL Support wrote:
You just need to "return" it on our website, not on your actual machine, as it's an upgrade rather than a new license. So you can continue to use 2009 for as long as the license remains on your PC. If you move to another machine, or have to rebuild your PC or operating system then you will probably lose it. The only one you can activate and deactivate whenever you like then is Studio 2011.

OK, thanks, that was very helpful.

Studio 2011 is fully compatible to 2009 and 2007, so we don't anticipate you to have any reason to keep on 2009.
2011 will handle 2009 packages, and can create packages specifically for 2009
if you want.

The move from 2009 to 2011 is not as big a move as 2007 to 2009 was.

I was concerned the most with the possibility that my return packages would be in any way incompatible with my clients' version. When I'm done with the current projects, I'll upgrade, then.

Thank you very much, Luis

MartinPorto
MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:59
French to English
+ ...
Complications Sep 28, 2011

Just to add to my previous post, I had a thought concerning the complicated nature of all this upgrading, transferring licenses, potentially losing installations through hardware failure, software glitches, and everything else that can possibly go wrong. It would be interesting to know in view of what is at stake here how many of you are imaging your hard drives, making regular backups, and even using raided (mirrored drives) systems etc.
That would be interesting to know!

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Never had any problem so far Sep 28, 2011

I've been running 2007, 2009 and 2011 on Vista Pro French and 2009 and 2011 on Windows 7 (64-bit) for quite a while, no crash, no serious glitches, except for occasional problems caused by source file issues.

What really puzzles me is why so many people still use 2007 (whether TagEditor or the awkward Word plug-in) or SDLX for that matter, the "tag soup" in 2007 and SDLX is just awful!

I'm not working for Trados either, my only disappointment is that Trados still hasn
... See more
I've been running 2007, 2009 and 2011 on Vista Pro French and 2009 and 2011 on Windows 7 (64-bit) for quite a while, no crash, no serious glitches, except for occasional problems caused by source file issues.

What really puzzles me is why so many people still use 2007 (whether TagEditor or the awkward Word plug-in) or SDLX for that matter, the "tag soup" in 2007 and SDLX is just awful!

I'm not working for Trados either, my only disappointment is that Trados still hasn't come up with a neat feature like the Portions or Sentences found as in DéjàVuX - disappointing when my memory is better than a TM's.
Collapse

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
After 7 weeks of beta testing... Sep 28, 2011

My favorite enhancement so far is the QA checker. Once you double-click the first error message on the list, a dialog box opens that's similar to Word's grammar checker. You can then quickly go through the messages, making corrections and ignoring certain messages if you like from the dialog box. Much quicker this way.

The filtering enhancements for only viewing segments with certain properties that Emma mentions are nice too.

Crashes? None for several builds, and I've
... See more
My favorite enhancement so far is the QA checker. Once you double-click the first error message on the list, a dialog box opens that's similar to Word's grammar checker. You can then quickly go through the messages, making corrections and ignoring certain messages if you like from the dialog box. Much quicker this way.

The filtering enhancements for only viewing segments with certain properties that Emma mentions are nice too.

Crashes? None for several builds, and I've been working intensly the past weeks on some rather large files. Then again, I didn't have crashes with 2009 either once the first service patch came out shortly after the initial release.

No MultiTerm issues either.

I'm running Studio on an aging laptop that's rapidly approaching the four-year mark. It does have the maximum amount of RAM though.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 has been released

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »