Help! Something wrong with TMs!
Thread poster: Will Kelly
Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Sep 28, 2011

Hi all,

I have Trados Studio 2009. I am a relative newcomer to the product and to CAT tools in general. I have a problem with TMs, namely that they don't seem to be populating. I'll give two very different examples:

1) I have a client who uses 2007. She sends me a Word document to translate and a load of loose files. I upgrade translation memory (which to me looks like it just selects the .tmw) and get on with the project. When it comes to the end I save and then look i
... See more
Hi all,

I have Trados Studio 2009. I am a relative newcomer to the product and to CAT tools in general. I have a problem with TMs, namely that they don't seem to be populating. I'll give two very different examples:

1) I have a client who uses 2007. She sends me a Word document to translate and a load of loose files. I upgrade translation memory (which to me looks like it just selects the .tmw) and get on with the project. When it comes to the end I save and then look in the Translation Memory (option at bottom left of screen) - nothing new in there. If I try things like right-clicking on the project in Project view and going to Batch Tasks > Upgrade Main Translation Memories, it does what it's told but no change in the memory.

2) I have a client who uses 2009. She sends me a Word document to translate and a project TM in .tmx format. When uploading the project, at the translation memory stage I right-click on my regular Dutch>English memory and click Import, then import the tmx file. This means that when I open the Word document in Editor view, some things get populated or there are percentage matches. Fine. If there are several documents with matching text, these will autopopulate. Great. If, however, she sends me more similar documents the next week as a separate project, even though I recognise chunks of text that are identical to text from the previous project (and I verify this by looking them up in the other Word documents), my Studio 2009 doesn't identify them, so I have to look them up manually. Not fine and not great.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?
Collapse

Thomas Rühl
Thomas Rühl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:48
English to German
Have you checked... Sep 28, 2011

...the upgrade box of the TM you are using (under project settings)? It might be as simple as that.

As for new documents whose segments won't populate, you'll also have to add your TM under project settings.

Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 28, 2011

for your response Thomas. Do you mean 'update'? That box is checked. When I have a new project and accompanying TM I import it under Project Setttings. So I think at least I must be doing those two things right.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you maybe using a Project TM? Sep 28, 2011

Maybe there's some confusion between a project TM and a main TM.

For projects that I set up myself I choose to prepare projects without a project TM, that way my main TM is the one that gets updated.

Also worth checking: In Tools - Options - Editor - Automation: do you have "Update translation memory" checked?

Thomas Rühl
Thomas Rühl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Of course "update", not "upgrade" Sep 28, 2011

But with this box being checked, I don't see why the TM doesn't get updated. Do the TM's file size or modification date change at any point?

Another thing which just came to my mind: Which TM do you use when translating new documents? The "loose files" (assuming you mean .tmw and so on) won't work, as Trados just uses them to create an .sdltm file, which is the TM you are then working with.

Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 29, 2011

both for your replies. I use my main TM; even if provided with a tmx I just import that into my main TM. I have Update Translation Memory checked in Tools > Options > Editor > Automation. I'll have to see whether the TM's file size changes on my next project. With regard to the 'loose' files for projects coming from my client who uses 2007, I'm not sure if this is affecting things because I'm getting problems with the memory updating in projects coming from my client who uses 2009, so it seems m... See more
both for your replies. I use my main TM; even if provided with a tmx I just import that into my main TM. I have Update Translation Memory checked in Tools > Options > Editor > Automation. I'll have to see whether the TM's file size changes on my next project. With regard to the 'loose' files for projects coming from my client who uses 2007, I'm not sure if this is affecting things because I'm getting problems with the memory updating in projects coming from my client who uses 2009, so it seems more likely to be something to do with my settings/TM.Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
On TMs Sep 29, 2011

Will Kelly wrote:
I use my main TM; even if provided with a tmx I just import that into my main TM.

My emphasis...

Hello Will,
I believe there is a slight confusion here. What Nora means are the two types of translation memories used in Studio:
1) Main translation memory: any TM that you select during the project creation process
2) Project translation memory: a project-specific TM which is created automatically at the project preparation stage.

During the translation process, the Project TM is the one that gets updated on the fly. The Main TM is only updated after:
a) either running the "Update Main Translation Memories" batch task manually; or
b) finalizing the project, i.e. running the "Finalize Project" batch task.

I hope it's clear now?

Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting... Sep 29, 2011

I understood that distinction, but I think it's best I post a brief summary of how I create and new project and assign the TM. I'm working on a big project today, so I won't be taking on any new projects to be created today, but I'll post a step-by-step on my next project.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Something wrong with TMs!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »