Assessment of SDLX Trados Studio 2011 Freelance
Thread poster: David Jacques
David Jacques
David Jacques  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Member (2011)
German to English
Sep 29, 2011

Anyone have anything to say about how good / bad this new version is? I'm thinking about investing the 250 Euros they demand for an update from 2009. SDL and Microsoft seem to come up with something worthwhile about every second or third version. Is the 2011 version worth upgrading to? Thanks for any response based on experience.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:24
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
I like it Sep 29, 2011

Hi David,

I am using Studio 2011 since a few days now and I am very happy with it. I have been working with other versions of SDLX and Trados in the past, but not with the 2009 version, therefore I cannot advise on your particular situation. Studio 2011 is a big change from Tageditor and Workbench, but shouldn't be so drastic when you are coming from Studio 2009.

What I can say so far is that is Studio 2011 runs stably and is pretty quick. Multiterm works like a charm a
... See more
Hi David,

I am using Studio 2011 since a few days now and I am very happy with it. I have been working with other versions of SDLX and Trados in the past, but not with the 2009 version, therefore I cannot advise on your particular situation. Studio 2011 is a big change from Tageditor and Workbench, but shouldn't be so drastic when you are coming from Studio 2009.

What I can say so far is that is Studio 2011 runs stably and is pretty quick. Multiterm works like a charm as well (one of the reasons why I never managed to get a properly running version of Studio 2009). I am trying out the integrations of MT and AutoSuggest right now, which are both new to me - and a positive surprise.

There are currently a few other threads on Proz.com about this topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/208570-studio_2011_has_been_released.html

and

http://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/208519-should_i_upgrade_to_sdl_trados_2011.html

Cheers,

Stefanie
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:24
Spanish to French
+ ...
the good and the bad Sep 29, 2011

Hi,

While I have been very impressed by the leap from 2007 to 2009, my feelings regarding 2011 are mixed. I bought the license essentially for the option to work on bilingual files as I get projects that include both ttx and rtf bilingual files, and it is really a pain in the neck to have to go back and forth btw 2007 and 2009 for this, but I think the integration is not working to my satisfaction (bilingual rtf not accepted, unable to save some bilingual files after working on them
... See more
Hi,

While I have been very impressed by the leap from 2007 to 2009, my feelings regarding 2011 are mixed. I bought the license essentially for the option to work on bilingual files as I get projects that include both ttx and rtf bilingual files, and it is really a pain in the neck to have to go back and forth btw 2007 and 2009 for this, but I think the integration is not working to my satisfaction (bilingual rtf not accepted, unable to save some bilingual files after working on them, issues that made me lose many hours of work, etc.), and I am going to ask for a refund and go back to 2009. I actually had no pressing need to upgrade as most of my customers still use 2007.
To their credit, the installation (and uninstallation) and activation process is much more straightforward, and the reactivity from the support team is much better now.

Thanks,
Nicolas

[Modifié le 2011-09-29 23:15 GMT]

[Modifié le 2011-09-29 23:47 GMT]

[Modifié le 2011-09-30 00:04 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Assessment of SDLX Trados Studio 2011 Freelance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »