Cannot open or uninstall Trados 2009 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:25
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2011

Hi everybody,
I have recently come up with this error message when I try opening Trados 2009:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The contents of the error message are as follows:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
[CDATA[
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.ActionInfoCollection.get_Item(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.GetAction(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.AbstractCommandBar.CreateCommandBarAction(String actionId)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.FirstMenuInitializer.CreateItems(IMenu mainMenu)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.FirstMenuInitializer..ctor(IMenu mainMenu)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.Init()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.CreateWindowInternal(Boolean setActive)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.Run()
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
UTENTE02FF\Administrator
UTENTE02FF
True
2276844 MB

I have also tried uninstalling trados, but I get an error message that says (my translation): impossible opening the patch package. Verify that this package exist or contact the sofware developer to verify that the patch package of windows installer is valid.

By the way, I had this problem also with trados 2011, but, after removing and reinstalling it, the problem with trados 2011 disappeared. Now it remains only for trados 2009, given the fact that I cannot remove it from my pc.

I have seen that maybe a registry key is damaged, but don't know such a key (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812490/en-us)

Hope somebody will help me.
Thank you,
Bruno

[Edited at 2011-10-01 07:12 GMT]

FSCDC  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same problem with Multiterm Widget Oct 1, 2011

I have the same problem with the multiterm widget...

So I am glad to know I am not the only one. I could us some help with this too after all.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:25
English
Try deleting these files and restarting Oct 1, 2011

Hi,

For Studio 2009 can you try deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\&ltusername&gt\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista it will be C:\Users\&ltusername&gt\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help.

For the multiterm widget try deleting this file and restarting:

c:\Users\&ltusername&gt\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml

or

C:\Documents and Settings\&ltusername&gt\Application Data\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open or uninstall Trados 2009 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search