Cannot open or uninstall Trados 2009 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:06
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2011

Hi everybody,
I have recently come up with this error message when I try opening Trados 2009:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The contents of the error message are as follows:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
[CDATA[
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.ActionInfoCollection.get_Item(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.GetAction(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.AbstractCommandBar.CreateCommandBarAction(String actionId)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.FirstMenuInitializer.CreateItems(IMenu mainMenu)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.FirstMenuInitializer..ctor(IMenu mainMenu)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.Init()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.CreateWindowInternal(Boolean setActive)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.Run()
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
UTENTE02FF\Administrator
UTENTE02FF
True
2276844 MB

I have also tried uninstalling trados, but I get an error message that says (my translation): impossible opening the patch package. Verify that this package exist or contact the sofware developer to verify that the patch package of windows installer is valid.

By the way, I had this problem also with trados 2011, but, after removing and reinstalling it, the problem with trados 2011 disappeared. Now it remains only for trados 2009, given the fact that I cannot remove it from my pc.

I have seen that maybe a registry key is damaged, but don't know such a key (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812490/en-us)

Hope somebody will help me.
Thank you,
Bruno

[Edited at 2011-10-01 07:12 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

FSCDC  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same problem with Multiterm Widget Oct 1, 2011

I have the same problem with the multiterm widget...

So I am glad to know I am not the only one. I could us some help with this too after all.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:06
English
Try deleting these files and restarting Oct 1, 2011

Hi,

For Studio 2009 can you try deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista it will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help.

For the multiterm widget try deleting this file and restarting:

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml

or

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open or uninstall Trados 2009 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search