Cannot open or uninstall Trados 2009 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:34
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2011

Hi everybody,
I have recently come up with this error message when I try opening Trados 2009:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The contents of the error message are as follows:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
[CD
... See more
Hi everybody,
I have recently come up with this error message when I try opening Trados 2009:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The contents of the error message are as follows:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
[CDATA[
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.ActionInfoCollection.get_Item(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.GetAction(String id)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.AbstractCommandBar.CreateCommandBarAction(String actionId)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.FirstMenuInitializer.CreateItems(IMenu mainMenu)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.FirstMenuInitializer..ctor(IMenu mainMenu)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.Init()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.CreateWindowInternal(Boolean setActive)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.Run()
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
UTENTE02FF\Administrator
UTENTE02FF
True
2276844 MB

I have also tried uninstalling trados, but I get an error message that says (my translation): impossible opening the patch package. Verify that this package exist or contact the sofware developer to verify that the patch package of windows installer is valid.

By the way, I had this problem also with trados 2011, but, after removing and reinstalling it, the problem with trados 2011 disappeared. Now it remains only for trados 2009, given the fact that I cannot remove it from my pc.

I have seen that maybe a registry key is damaged, but don't know such a key (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812490/en-us)

Hope somebody will help me.
Thank you,
Bruno

[Edited at 2011-10-01 07:12 GMT]
Collapse

FSDEC
FSDEC
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same problem with Multiterm Widget Oct 1, 2011

I have the same problem with the multiterm widget...

So I am glad to know I am not the only one. I could us some help with this too after all.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
English
Try deleting these files and restarting Oct 1, 2011

Hi,

For Studio 2009 can you try deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista it will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help.

For the multiterm widget try deleting this file and restarting:

... See more
Hi,

For Studio 2009 can you try deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista it will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help.

For the multiterm widget try deleting this file and restarting:

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml

or

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\WidgetSettings.xml

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open or uninstall Trados 2009 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »