Is the light version of Trados a solution for me?
Thread poster: marty2411
marty2411
marty2411  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:37
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2011

I subscribed yesterday and i would like to know which of the programs is the best to buy to have a chance to work. I have no clue. I'm a bit confused and ask help to those of you who already know the software.
I also cannot spend a huge amount of money and I'm wondering if the light version of Trados for 99 euros can be a solution.
Please give me your advise. Thanks a lot.

Ruslan Polishchuk
Ruslan Polishchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:37
German to Russian
+ ...
CAT Tool Oct 1, 2011

It depends on the purpose you're planning to use the CAT tool for.
I am using SDL Trados Studio 2009 and feel totally satisfied with it. However, I'm feeling there are some features which are and will remain of no use to me.
So, I guess some light starter version is good to begin with. When you manage to save some money for a more advanced version, you'll be able to choose.
Worth trying anyway. Especially if you're working with text that have many repetitions or similar texts.<
... See more
It depends on the purpose you're planning to use the CAT tool for.
I am using SDL Trados Studio 2009 and feel totally satisfied with it. However, I'm feeling there are some features which are and will remain of no use to me.
So, I guess some light starter version is good to begin with. When you manage to save some money for a more advanced version, you'll be able to choose.
Worth trying anyway. Especially if you're working with text that have many repetitions or similar texts.

If you need any help with Trados, feel free to ask
Good luck!
Collapse

FSDEC
FSDEC
English to Dutch
+ ...
TRADOS Oct 1, 2011

Dear,

I had the same issue when I first started out, so I decided to start with the light version of 99 euros and when I felt confident (after some translations) I upgraded to Freelance Studio. After my upgrade I took the classes, because I felt it would be easier to learn if I actually saw someone use the program (via internet).

For me it was the best solution as I first wanted to explore the basic version and discover if I actually liked working with TRADOS.
... See more
Dear,

I had the same issue when I first started out, so I decided to start with the light version of 99 euros and when I felt confident (after some translations) I upgraded to Freelance Studio. After my upgrade I took the classes, because I felt it would be easier to learn if I actually saw someone use the program (via internet).

For me it was the best solution as I first wanted to explore the basic version and discover if I actually liked working with TRADOS.

I would recommend it though as many clients (the bigger ones) do like TRADOS. However, many agencies already work with their own cat tools online (iCat etc)

Hope I helped you a little with your decision
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
CAT comparisons Oct 1, 2011

Welcome to ProZ!

There's a good site here http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/ for comparing different CAT tools.
Most CAT tools have a 30-day demo version, so download one and try it out.

In the case of Trados, you download the Professional version as a demo. Then you can decide whether you want to go ahead with the Starter version, or go straight into the Fr
... See more
Welcome to ProZ!

There's a good site here http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/ for comparing different CAT tools.
Most CAT tools have a 30-day demo version, so download one and try it out.

In the case of Trados, you download the Professional version as a demo. Then you can decide whether you want to go ahead with the Starter version, or go straight into the Freelance version.

Whichever tool you opt for, give yourself time to learn how to use it. Don't expect to be up and running in a couple of hours. There are lots of webinars here on ProZ and on other sites where you can get on-line training, and I would certainly recommend doing some.

Good luck!
Collapse

marty2411
marty2411  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
demo version Oct 3, 2011

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES.
i was trying to find a 30 day demo version but it seems that no demo is available. Does anybody have a link? I would be very grateful.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
News on the demo Oct 3, 2011

Please see this post:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/208832-sdl_trados_studio_2011_demo_version.html#1815356

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados light version or 'Starter' Oct 3, 2011

After having bought it, I am seriously disappointed.

I'll tell you why. You get a demo full version with it for 14 (?) days and that is it. After that, basically, the only thing you can do is file-based translation memory stuff. That's fine, but if people want to offer you a big project with several people, you're nowhere.

I believe MemoQ, even the free version if you do not (!) pay, offers you the possibility to open a TM from someone else, if it was delivered with yo
... See more

I'll tell you why. You get a demo full version with it for 14 (?) days and that is it. After that, basically, the only thing you can do is file-based translation memory stuff. That's fine, but if people want to offer you a big project with several people, you're nowhere.

I believe MemoQ, even the free version if you do not (!) pay, offers you the possibility to open a TM from someone else, if it was delivered with your file. They also provide a service where, if your agency owns a MemoQ server, they can offer you a temporary license so you can participate in a full-blown project with Termbase and everything. That is of course on condition that the angency uses MemoQ, but there are some.
And, I think, you can do Excel, plus you can also convert into Trados-compatible file format.

And the full version costs about half of what Trados costs.

If any of the above is not right, though, then please elaborate, someone
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Starter version Oct 3, 2011

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

Presumably you compared the different versions before you bought it?
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2

You get a demo full version with it for 14 (?) days and that is it.

I think it's 30 days

the only thing you can do is file-based translation memory stuff.

Yes, you can open any file and translate it. You can't create a project and add lots of files.

if people want to offer you a big project with several people, you're nowhere.

If you're talking about a server version, and sharing TMs online, then you're right, the Starter version won't do it. Nor will the Freelance or Professional versions for that matter. If a "big project" means a client sending you a package for you to work on, then, yes, you can open it and return it with the Starter version.

open a TM from someone else, if it was delivered with your file.

You can do that with Starter, so long as the TM isn't bigger than 5000 segments (that's a serious limitation).

And, I think, [in MemoQ] you can do Excel, plus you can also convert into Trados-compatible file format.

Excel is one of the 25 file formats that you can translate in the Starter version.

And the full version costs about half of what Trados costs.

Well, not quite, but MemoQ is cheaper, you're right. I've just checked, and the prices are €620 for MemoQ and €845 for Studio 2011. It's usually possible to get the main Cat tools through a Group Buy on ProZ where they are sold at a 25-40% discount.

If you are well-versed in CAT tools and know how to solve compatibility issues such as different tags in ttx files and differences in TMs then it would probably be worth going for MemoQ. If you are new to the world of CATs, then I would recommend persevering with Studio, and progressing from the Starter to the Freelance version when your work volume justifies the change.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the light version of Trados a solution for me?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »