Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:50
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 3, 2011

Hello,

although I have been using TRADOS for 2 years now, there are still some features about which I could really use some advice.

For instance, the Concordance feature. I have been searching the proz forums and other external sites, apparently with no result, trying to find an answer to this question:
would it be possible to perform a Concordance search into several translation memories simultaneously? Is there an option available somewhere in Trados? Or, maybe
... See more
Hello,

although I have been using TRADOS for 2 years now, there are still some features about which I could really use some advice.

For instance, the Concordance feature. I have been searching the proz forums and other external sites, apparently with no result, trying to find an answer to this question:
would it be possible to perform a Concordance search into several translation memories simultaneously? Is there an option available somewhere in Trados? Or, maybe there could be an add-on that could help us solve this issue...

I would very much appreciate any solution you can provide in this respect.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Truc Tran Van
Truc Tran Van
Vietnam
Local time: 22:50
English to Vietnamese
Trados does not support multi-TMs Oct 3, 2011

Trados Translator's Workbench only allow you to open one TM at one time. You can upgrade to SDL Trados Studio, it support opening multiple TMs.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
German to English
+ ...
Use Windows 'Search' Oct 3, 2011

This is something I'd like to be able to do myself.

All I can come up with is to export all TMs into the same folder and use Windows Search to look for the term / phrase in that folder.

Or, you could import all TMs into a 'global TM' and use that as a reference TM in Concordance Options.

If anyone else has got a better solution, I'd be interested too.

HTH.

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Concordance Search Oct 3, 2011

Hi Iuliana ,

Could you please indicate what version of Trados are you using? You can upload several TMs only into SDLTrados Studio 2009, and SDLTrados Studio 2011, and of course perform the Concordance Search in all the uploaded TMs. In earlier versions you can upload only one TM. In this case you can take advantage of Richard's advice.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 6, 2011

Thank you all for your replies and helpful advice. As I feared, TRADOS 2007 FL edition does not have this multi-TM feature. I also have Trados STUDIO, but I must confess I use it occasionally and only upon clients' specific requests. I like Workbench too much, maybe Of course, I do not know how to search into multiple TMs in Studio, but I will look into the matter.

Meanwhile, I think I will create a folder with all th
... See more
Thank you all for your replies and helpful advice. As I feared, TRADOS 2007 FL edition does not have this multi-TM feature. I also have Trados STUDIO, but I must confess I use it occasionally and only upon clients' specific requests. I like Workbench too much, maybe Of course, I do not know how to search into multiple TMs in Studio, but I will look into the matter.

Meanwhile, I think I will create a folder with all the TMs in there ane perform a windows/norton commander search. What a pity there is no other solution! Thanks again for your precious feedback!
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:50
Dutch to English
Xbench Oct 6, 2011

Try the free Xbench (stand-alone). Once you set it up you can search across all your TMs and glossaries simultaneously. Just takes a minute to load every morning when you start work.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Limitation Oct 9, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Try the free Xbench (stand-alone). Once you set it up you can search across all your TMs and glossaries simultaneously. Just takes a minute to load every morning when you start work.

Thank you very much, Olly, for your reply and the interesting information. Indeed, your solution can be quite good.

I have downloaded and tested the Xbench software, today. The only problem is that you cannot directly upload your TMs in it. Instead, you need to export them into tmx files. Only then can you upload them. Apparently there is a certain space limitation there (not sure about that yet with respect to tmx files, but you surely cannot upload an entire TM in there as the software displays a ''memory full'' warning).

I was also quite disappointed about the way in which it imported one of my personal TMs. It only imported the source, without the target translation. I can't figure out why, as it was in the correct format and, of course, my translation units were not truncated in any way...

But, in the end, it can be a useful tool, although it has its limitations...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
English
Give Studio a try Oct 9, 2011

Hi Iuliana,

Seeing as you have Studio already, and you are clearly willing to try and learn other solutions to try and make them work with Workbench, then why not give Studio a try. It would save you having to use multiple solutions to achieve your goal. If you need any help getting started there are plenty of resources to help you. Take a look at this bolg entry as it contains the links to most of the places you can find help:

How to get support for SDL Products Blo
... See more
Hi Iuliana,

Seeing as you have Studio already, and you are clearly willing to try and learn other solutions to try and make them work with Workbench, then why not give Studio a try. It would save you having to use multiple solutions to achieve your goal. If you need any help getting started there are plenty of resources to help you. Take a look at this bolg entry as it contains the links to most of the places you can find help:

How to get support for SDL Products Blog entry : http://tinyurl.com/SDLProductsSupport

And of course there are many helpful people here who can point you in the right direction.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search in several TMs simultaneously

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »