Studio 2011 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Thread poster: Tapsa

Tapsa
Local time: 21:15
English to Finnish
Oct 3, 2011

After using 2011 a couple of days, I'm both delighted and sad. I can only speak of my own experiences and needs etc. Someone else may appreciate other features. This is just a quick and dirty opinion.

Overall, my impression is, that this version offers (freelance) translators a little bit more than 2009, but by far not as much than the 2007-2009 upgrade. Some of the good things are just bug fixes for 2009 - not all - and some of the bugs are not fixed. The upgrade price seems to be rather high.

The Good

To me, one of the really good features is "translate to fuzzy" which compares the translation to existing TM. It proved its usefulness to me almost immediately, as I have again (a low paid) big translation job (this time including recipes) that has really many identical and nearly identical sentences. And, of course, I decided in some point to change some of the phrases, eg. "ice cubes" from "jääkuutiot" to "jääpalat", and now, it is easier for example to search them and replace them in TM (or edit TUs when coming around) and run the files with "translate to fuzzy". Somehow, this works faster for me than using the search function in editor.

The other good feature relates to Multiterm. Now, also the two character words are recognized.

(and for a bug fix, now both upper and lower case versions of the same term show in term recognition)

The Bad

After years (soon tens of them) it is still not possible to merge segments freely enough - SDL has totally ignored the root level (translators), sigh.

The Ugly

The search function in Translation Memories view does not function as "advertised". Partial (containing) matches in user generated fields just do not work. It's the same in 2009. Why is this not fixed - it can't be that difficult???

In general, the term recognition works and does not work (no, it is not related to settings). Too often it does not recognize ("overline") terms that are in termbase/termbases. I can't believe this is true, but it is - why, oh why.

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 11:15
English to Chinese
I have the same issue with Multiterm recognition as you mentioned Oct 4, 2011

and last time I reported this issue to SDL, they said they are aware of it and their development team is working on a fix.

In fact, I reported this issue back when I was using Studio 2009 and they were quite aware of it. I have to say that with Studio/Multiterm 2011 it's recognizing the terms much better than their previous version, but it's still a hit and miss. It's frustrating and scary when you have a "miss" scenario you are not aware of because the termbase comes from the client and the client wants you to follow their termbase strictly.

And just like you I wonder why this known bug is taking so long to fix.

[quote]Tapsa wrote:

In general, the term recognition works and does not work (no, it is not related to settings). Too often it does not recognize ("overline") terms that are in termbase/termbases. I can't believe this is true, but it is - why, oh why.

Joel Earnest
Local time: 20:15
Swedish to English
The good Nov 10, 2011

Am currently working on several thousand words of datasheet text. A large part of the repeated text is in Word text boxes, placed over circuit board photos.

Oddly enough, TTXs (this job is for a TTX agency customer) that included the text boxes could not be generated, However, all text boxes were correctly displayed when using Studio's SDLIFF format, thus freeing me from hours of manual editing in the cleaned Word files.

So two and half years after the Studio launch, I'm finally doing my first job for that agency, letting me use all the good things about Studio. I'm mainly thinking real-time previewing.

[Edited at 2011-11-10 14:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search