3 questions about SDL Trados 2011
Thread poster: Stephanie V
Oct 4, 2011

I have got several technical questions for which I have not found any support on SDL website, anybody can help me?

1°) what happens when I create a Project/translate a document for which several fonts are missing on my computer? Are they temporarily substituted? Is the document layout modified?

2°) is there any way to know how many changes are done by the reviewer thanks to the track changes functionality (percentage of edits on submitted segments for example)? How can I give any feedback to the translator?

3°) when validating a segment, and thus uploading its translation in the Translation Memory, is any difference made between a segment which has been reviewed (only once or several times) and a segment which has only been translated? And with the following project, is there any parameter to first compare the new source segment to the reviewed segments first and then the only translated ones?

Thanks a lot guys.

Stéphanie

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:45
English
On your questions so far... Oct 4, 2011

Hi Stephanie,

1°) what happens when I create a Project/translate a document for which several fonts are missing on my computer? Are they temporarily substituted? Is the document layout modified?

The simple answer is yes, substituted by windows unless you specify one to be used in Studio. But depending on the font you may have display problems.

2°) is there any way to know how many changes are done by the reviewer thanks to the track changes functionality (percentage of edits on submitted segments for example)? How can I give any feedback to the translator?

The easiest way would be to save a copy of the sdlxliff with track changes still enabled and send it to them. Then as long as they have Studio 2011 they will be able to review them in Studio.

Another way would be to use the new version of the SDLXLIFF Converter that comes with Studio 2011 and create a word document that contains all the tracked changes.

Finally, there will be a new openexchange application very shortly that compares sdlxliff files and creates a document that shows all the changes that were made. This would be good for 2009 or 2011 versions of the software.

3°) when validating a segment, and thus uploading its translation in the Translation Memory, is any difference made between a segment which has been reviewed (only once or several times) and a segment which has only been translated? And with the following project, is there any parameter to first compare the new source segment to the reviewed segments first and then the only translated ones?

I'm not entirely clear here... it sounds as though you are asking how to compare segments in the TM? We don't hold segment statuses on the TM, only in the SDLXLIFF. But you could keep a copy of the TM used for translation, then rename it for review. This would allow you to use Translate to Fuzzy against the original TM and compare all the changes that were made in the Studio Editor.

Does this help? Maybe someone else has better ideas... always good to hear from the experienced practitioners.

Regards

Paul

Stephanie V
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support Oct 4, 2011

Thanks a lot Paul for your precious help!!
(quite hard to find answers to such specific topics on SDL website)

1°) Is the substitution done definitely when saving the SDLxliff or the translation in its origianl format, or only temporarily when working in TRADOS? If I open the translated file in its original format on a PC with the requested fonts installed, will they be used again?

2°) This application is indeed available on OpenExchange since September,30th. Great news!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

3°) Some more explanation about this point maybe ..
When the translator validates 2 newly translated Segments, they are automatically added to the TM. If only one segment is modified by the reviewer, and thus uploaded in the TM memory, there is not any flag in the TM which makes the difference between the "translated-only" segment and the "reviewed" one? Correct? When I will have a new translation project, is there any way to say that the reviewed one has the priority over the "translated-only"?

Bartek Zukowski
English to Polish
+ ...
what application? Oct 5, 2011

Stephanie V wrote:

2°) This application is indeed available on OpenExchange since September,30th. Great news!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Excuse me, where did you find that application? Could you provide a direct link? I am not able to find any application that compares sdlxliff files there. And I think that such app would be very useful.

Stephanie V
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF compare Oct 5, 2011

The application (which indeed would be VERY useful) does not seem available anymore on SDL OpenExchange .. and I do not why .. Hope the link will be reset quite soon.

Sorry :-/

United Kingdom
English
SDLXLIFF Compare Oct 5, 2011

Hi,

Indeed it was there for a day yesterday. The developer then issued some important changes late yesterday and these are currently being checked and incorporated into the version on the site.

So it should be there shortly. It looks quite nice and prepares reports something like this:

I'll drop a note into the forum when it's back up there.

Regards

Paul

Stephanie V
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF Compare Oct 5, 2011

Thanks for the update, Paul

United Kingdom
English
SDLXLIFF Compare again Oct 6, 2011

Hi,

You can find the application here:

http://tinyurl.com/SDLXLIFFCompare

Regards

Paul

Stephanie V
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF Compare download Oct 6, 2011

Thanks for the post Paul.

When trying to download the applicaction, I get the following error message:

You are not licensed for any SDL products that link with this application.
Find out about purchasing a compatible product.

(I have got Trados 2009 and 2011 SP3 installed)

United Kingdom
English
My fault Oct 6, 2011

Hi Stephanie,

I think this is my fault entirely. There are actually two versions of this tool available as the code needed to be substantially different for 2009 compared to 2011. The link I stupidley gave you was for the 2009 version only, and although you have 2009 installed my guess is that you upgraded (rather than buying 2011 in addition to 2009), so the My Account thinks you only have 2011 now.

Try again with this link.

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=114

Regards

Paul

Bartek Zukowski
English to Polish
+ ...
this is great Oct 7, 2011

Thanks Paul,

Already installed it and I am really impressed by this application. This is really great!

Heather Milligan
German to English
Marking reviewed units in TMs Oct 7, 2011

In response to point 3 (marking reviewed units):

This is very important to us as well and we have solved the problem using the field entries. When a translaor works into a TM they use a specific update setting that marks what they do as, for example, "New". The reviewer however works with slightly different settings, marking things as "Reviewed", for example, when a unit gets uploaded to the TM.

Unfortunately, the overwrite/not-overwrite behavior changed fairly significantly from 2007 to 2009 making this process a bit more difficult now, but we still find the overall approach to be very helpful.

Jasper Kok  Identity Verified
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Using Trados 2009 and 2011 with single licence Oct 7, 2011

Hi Paul,

Excuse me for hijacking this thread, but as Stephanie has not yet reported back that it works now, I guess this thread is not de facto closed.

Just before the official launch of 2011 I bought a 2009 Plus licence. I have not installed it yet, but if I do and activate it and I later *upgrade* to 2011 without uninstalling 2009, would I still be able to use both 2009 and 2011 in full working order with the same activation code? I was led to believe that this was possible by an SDL rep (which, in addition to 2007 suite being included, was an important reason for buying at that particular time) but a later post on this forum made me doubt this. Could you please tell me if it would be possible in my situation to use 2007, 2009 and 2011 with only one 2007 licence and one 2009 Plus licence?
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jasper

Stephanie V
TOPIC STARTER
Application download Oct 7, 2011

Hi Paul,

I successfully downloaded the application and subscribed to the SDL webinar presenting it.

Thanks a lot.

United Kingdom
English
Using Trados 2009 and 2011 with single licence Oct 7, 2011

Jasper Kok wrote:
Just before the official launch of 2011 I bought a 2009 Plus licence. I have not installed it yet, but if I do and activate it and I later *upgrade* to 2011 without uninstalling 2009, would I still be able to use both 2009 and 2011 in full working order with the same activation code? I was led to believe that this was possible by an SDL rep (which, in addition to 2007 suite being included, was an important reason for buying at that particular time) but a later post on this forum made me doubt this. Could you please tell me if it would be possible in my situation to use 2007, 2009 and 2011 with only one 2007 licence and one 2009 Plus licence?

Hello Jasper,

There are a couple of things in your questions. First thing I need to explain is that Studio 2011 uses a completely new licensing system so you cannot use one activation code for 2009 and 2011.

The second thing is about how this works. If you have 2007 and 2009 now, but have not activated 2009 yet, then if you now upgrade to 2011 as opposed to purchasing an additional license then your 2009 license will disappear and be replace with the 2011. You will not lose your 2007 license.

If you wish to keep 2007, 2009 and 2011 then you will need to purchase 2011 as a new application rather than upgrade.

Now, if you install and activate 2009 now, then upgrade to 2011 then you could run 2009 until you have to reinstall or move to another computer and you could do this with 2007, 2009 and 2011 installed. However, if you have not installed 2009 yet then I'm struggling to see why you would bother doing so if you are considering upgrading to 2011?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3 questions about SDL Trados 2011

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search