Generating an Autosuggest Dictionary
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2011

Finally have a break in my work to try and get to grips with Studio 2009 (yes, it's taken me this long, I realise 2011 is out now). I'm religiously working my way through tutorials to fill in the somewhat huge gaps in my knowledge. A rather crucial first step is that I cannot generate an autosuggest dictionary (it's greyed out). This has been covered in a previous topic: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/148946-how_do_i_create_an_autosuggest_dictionary.html Is it possible that I do not have an Autosuggest activation code? I don't see it in My Licenses.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Anything new in Autosuggest Oct 5, 2011

Hi Lisa,

AFAIK you need a separate activation code/license to "create" an AutoSuggest dictionary.

Hijacking your thread but perhaps 2011 users can answer another question on AutoSuggest. In 2009 version, AS suggestions were not created in real-time. Is it the same in 2011 version?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you mean... Oct 5, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Lisa,

AFAIK you need a separate activation code/license to "create" an AutoSuggest dictionary.

Hijacking your thread but perhaps 2011 users can answer another question on AutoSuggest. In 2009 version, AS suggestions were not created in real-time. Is it the same in 2011 version?

live updating of the AS dictionary, so it is as it was - the dictionary is static.
But TBH why is it needed to update ASD on the fly? You cann add AutoText entries on the fly in Studio 2011 or create MultiTerm entries - both will be utilized for the AutoSuggest function.

Back to the original question: you need a separate license to have the ASD creator activated with the Freelance version. Depending on the way you purchased your software (usual or promotional sale) you may or may not have this included in the package.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
On AutoSuggest Oct 5, 2011

Hi,

@Lisa
In 2009 you did indeed need an additional license to be able to generate AutoSuggest Dictionaries. In 2011 you still need an appropriate license that includes this capability, but it is a single license code as opposed to two.

@Selcuk
Yes it is the same. AutoSuggest draws on three sources for suggestions:
- The pre-generated AutoSuggest Dictionary
- Multiterm databases
- AutoText
So real-time searching of the TM to find subsegment matches is not yet available. It''s pretty good like this thoughicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is this an extra licence that you have to buy? Oct 5, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

@Lisa
In 2009 you did indeed need an additional license to be able to generate AutoSuggest Dictionaries. In 2011 you still need an appropriate license that includes this capability, but it is a single license code as opposed to two.

So, is this over and above my purchase of Studio 2009?

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
real-time search Oct 5, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

So real-time searching of the TM to find subsegment matches is not yet available. It''s pretty good like this thoughicon_wink.gif

It is nothing new, a basic version of it was available in DV3 (in 2002) which was called "Learn". And you know about DeepMiner in Deja Vu X2. It makes a real difference for productivity. Perhaps a similar feature is planned for SDL Studio 2013?

Christophe Lefrancois  Identity Verified
French
+ ...
AS licence Oct 5, 2011

I own an AS licence with Trados 2009. If i upgrade to 2011, will i lose this licence and have to buy a new AS licence?

Christophe

United Kingdom
English
AutoSuggest Creation Oct 5, 2011

Hi Lisa,

In 2009, if you don't have AutoSuggest Creator already then the only option now is to upgrade to 2011 as we have stopped selling 2009 now.

If you go to this link you can start a chat session with an online customer service rep. who can talk to you about pricing for an upgrade like this:

http://translationzone.com/en/translator-shop/shop_main.asp

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
AS Licence Oct 5, 2011

Christophe Lefrancois wrote:

I own an AS licence with Trados 2009. If i upgrade to 2011, will i lose this licence and have to buy a new AS licence?

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

No. When you upgrade you will get one license code for 2011 but it will activate everything you were able to use in 2009. The upgraded license itself in your My Account will say that AS is included.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bought it less than 6 months ago! Oct 5, 2011

Before any mention of 2011... and I have to upgrade already (?!?)

Paul, how do I know whether or not I have AS Creator already?

United Kingdom
English
To see if you have it Oct 5, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Before any mention of 2011... and I have to upgrade already (?!?)

Paul, how do I know whether or not I have AS Creator already?

Hi Lisa,

If the creation of an autosuggest dictionary option is greyed out then you have not installed the license. If you look in your My Account and don't see the license in there under My Licenses then you don't have it. If you do then just copy the activation code and use it to activate AutoSuggest Creation in your 2009 software.

If you have this then you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. Buty if you do then the two licenses that were required in 2009 are now one license in 2011. The upgrade and licensing is very simple.

If you don't have it, and you want it, then you will have to upgrade your 2009 to 2011 including AutoSuggest. For this contact sales through the chat link I gave you earlier.

Regards

Paul

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
Auto Suggest needs a big TM Oct 6, 2011

hello

I bought Auto Suggest and associated support for nothing (after my Studio 2009 purchase).

In fact - and it was very difficulte to find the information - , I heard it only during a SDL free training.

The TM you're using must have at least 25,000 TUs. Otherwise Auto Suggest doesn't work.

It means that a beginner, or someone with several small TMs but without a big TM can't use Auto Suggest.

I hope it helps.

Marie

[Edited at 2011-10-06 11:09 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Merge several small TMs into one and create the ASD out of those Oct 6, 2011

or use the EU TMs you can download from here http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where did you buy it? Oct 6, 2011

Thanks Marie. That is very helpful information indeed. Where did you 'buy' it? From SDL directly? Paul seems to say this is an extra I have to pay for or I upgrade to 2011.

The number of TUs is not a problem. I have been working with Trados since 2001 and have several TMs with over 100,000 TUs.

United Kingdom
English
I don't think this is what Marie meant? Oct 6, 2011

Hi Lisa,

After mulling this over with Support we think what Marie actually meant was that her purchase was for nothing because she was unable to generate an AutoSuggest Dictionary. At least this is the only explanation we can see for this because it was not given away for nothing.

Jerzys suggestion is actually a good one, because you can create a TMX file from the DGT website large enough to generate an ASD and then add your own smaller TM to this to make the suggestions more relevant to what you do. Then you can generate your ASD from this. But as you said, this isn't a problem for you anyway.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Generating an Autosuggest Dictionary

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search