Leaving a segment empty (target) on TagEditor?
Thread poster: Mademoisellle
Oct 5, 2011

Hi,

I am translating a text using TagEditor. Some sentences of the text are not necessary in the target language. I want to leave the segment empty for the sentence to completely disappear (I do not want the English (source language) sentence to show up in the clean document neither).

How can I do that?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:56
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Some ideas Oct 5, 2011

If your TTX file is from a Word file (DOC, DOCX, RTF), you could make those segments hidden in Word, and then convert the file to a new TTX. When you have translated the file and generated the target file, you can search for hidden text and replace it with nothing.

If that is not possible, you could enter spaces (or non-breaking spaces) in those segments, and then remove double spaces in the target document.

Mademoisellle
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer Oct 5, 2011

The document is a TAG.ttx file so the frist option is not possible.
I did let a space and validated the segment. My problem is the client only wants the unclan ttx file for this document. Is the space going to show and cause a problem?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That you get when using CAT Oct 6, 2011

Translation memory tools expect you to translate everything sentence by sentence. If you put only a space or a '-' instead this will stay in the TM. Makes no sense.
You could translate as usual and make a list of the segments that need to be removed from the final translation.
Or you ask your customer to remove the specific parts from the initial file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leaving a segment empty (target) on TagEditor?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search