https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/209216-covert_an_rtf_to_itd_for_sdlx.html

Covert an rtf to itd for SDLX.
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2011

Hi,
have put up a few posts on SDLX as I have been exploring this CAT recently.
I have an .rtf file that I created from an .itd using SDLX "create translation" function.
I changed some font in WORD 2010, and now I'd love to get it back into .itd for SDLX use (unfinished translating).

How do I do that?
I tried to harvest it, but am probably messing up something.
Thanks all.

Vincent

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not sure I understand... Oct 5, 2011

The font used in SDLX Edit is independent of the font used in the document. To set the font in SDLX, go to View - Set Source Font, Set Translation Font. If you want to change the font in the target RTF document, finish your translation, export the target document, and then change the font there.

Vincent Lemma
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try to explain better... Oct 5, 2011

Hi Adam.

I am halfway through with my translation of 50,000 some odd words.
The client says: "forget about Format Painting, just do the translation in SDLX).

So then at about 30,000 words into it the client says "We need the format painting".

The only format differences are that some words are in bold, and I really do not feel like doing format painting for some bold words.

What I tried was to create a translation rtf file and open it in
... See more
Hi Adam.

I am halfway through with my translation of 50,000 some odd words.
The client says: "forget about Format Painting, just do the translation in SDLX).

So then at about 30,000 words into it the client says "We need the format painting".

The only format differences are that some words are in bold, and I really do not feel like doing format painting for some bold words.

What I tried was to create a translation rtf file and open it in Word. I opened the rtf and changed the font style of the target words there. Then, I go to "new translation" in SDLX and import the rtf into an itd.

What happens, obviously, is that the words put into bold when in word appear as such in SDLX, but I only get the target column of my work, given that I created a "new translation" out of the .rtf that I modified.

I wanted to know if this is a typical procedure to deal with annoying format painting.
I will not run this through TagEditor because it really seems so time consuming, unless I am missing something in the works.

Hope to have been clearer and Format Painting is terrible

Take care

P.s. I need to do the formatting at this point because the client would like batches of work. I want a batch of brownies.

[Edited at 2011-10-05 21:23 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Formatting is done with tags Oct 6, 2011

Just switch on the tag view instead of color view for formatting. Then you will see what needs to be in bold and where. If something is wrong with formatting then the editor will display a green field to the left. This usually means there is no text between formatting tags. Just put a space there and SDLX is satisfied.
Sometimes nothing can be done, then you just leave it as it is. You can adjust formatting in the final translation, in rtf in this case.

Vincent Lemma
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pretty good Oct 6, 2011

Thanks Heinrich!

For simple bold font it seems to help out a bit. There are some other format modifications (such as blue text), but I guess that I can do those in much the same way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Covert an rtf to itd for SDLX.

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »