Studio 2009: Possible to modify TM TUs and apply modifications in files?
Thread poster: Beatrice Hercend

Beatrice Hercend  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 6, 2011

Hello,

It is simple with Studio 2009 to search in TM and modify TUs, but is there any means to apply back these changes in project files?
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:26
English
Applying changes from a modified TM Oct 6, 2011

Hi Beatrice,

I think there a few options depending on your version of Studio and how many files there are... also how careful you want to be in overwriting the translations without looking at the changes as you go:

1. In 2011 you can run translate to fuzzy in the editor, find the changes and edit as you go (not great for a whole Project with 100s of files)

2. In 2009 or 2011 you could recreate the Project and pretranslate with the modified TMs (better for an entire Project with 100s of files)

3. In 2009 or 2011 you can just run a batch task to pretranslate with the modified TMs using the option to always overwrite the existing translation.

Regards

Paul

Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Global changes Oct 6, 2011

Hi,

Actually, what I need to do is to make changes in some TUs (but I don't know in which files they are) but I could find no means to search the entire project to locate the TUs.
Since I could locate them in TM, I thought I could modify the TUs there and apply back the changes in the files.
But maybe there is another means to search the entire project and locate the TUs to be changed?
Thanks!

United Kingdom
English
Open Exchange - Batch Find and Replace Oct 6, 2011

Hi Beatrice,

There is an Open Exchange application (free) that will search across files and projects, so you could use this to find the relevant segments and also make the changes.

For 2009 you need the version here:

SDL Batch Find/Replace : http://tinyurl.com/SDLbatchfind-replace

If you have 2011 then it is included in the Start menu under the SDL - SDL Trados Studio 2011 - OpenExchange Apps group.

Regards

Paul

Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disappointing Oct 7, 2011

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, the S&R tool is quite disappointing, you cannot modify the TUs unless you make global changes, and you cannot even know to which files belong the matched TUs.

The simplest would be to be able to search in the whole project and simply modify each TUs, like we do with other translation software (i.e Idiom).
Thanks & regards.

United Kingdom
English
Batch Search & replace Oct 7, 2011

Hi Beatrice,

Sorry this application wasn't useful for you. You can do a little more than you think though. I created a quick project with three files, translated them and then did a quick search. This shows me what you have found... results in three files:

If I select the Details tab I see this:

I can now use the Filter to look only for results in the file I'm interested in, or just flick through them all in order to see which files they are in:

Once I find the ones I want I can then switch to the replace tab at the very top and change only the TUs I want after filtering on the file I want to make it easier to find:

I guess this is still not what you're really looking for but maybe this will help you a little?

Regards

Paul

Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Much better Oct 7, 2011

Hi Paul,

Yes, it does help, thank you for taking the time to look into this!
Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Possible to modify TM TUs and apply modifications in files?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search