Thread poster: Shawn Champion

Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:31
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2011

So the much touted MS spellchecker doesn't work for me at all and SDL decided to keep their error reports absolutely useless to the average human.

This happens on every segment, no strange characters, in English.

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

Oh thanks! Now I can fix the problem. Come on SDL! Maybe I should pay you another €200 for a support plan so you can decode your error report for me.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Does this happen with all files? Oct 8, 2011

Hi Shawn,

I'm wondering if this is file specific or a general problem? Unfortunately sometimes the error messages are not thrown by our software specifically, but if it is possible to throw an error message that is more explanatory then we do... guess this one is not.

The best bet is to log a case through the Solution Finder. I wanted to show you the best route to use but it looks as though we need to update the SF for some of the paths, so use this one:

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download and Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2009.
--- I receive an error message that is different from the ones listed here.
---- I deleted the three files, but I still get an error message.

I know this is for 2009, but you can change this when you complete the form and state 2011. Also try the solutions along the way as they might help. But if they don't then when you get to the end you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a (working) day.

Regards

Paul

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
submitted Oct 10, 2011

I tried the steps to no avail. Submitted a help request. I had previously looked in that solution finder and found nothing because my issue has nothing to do with installation or downloading. It seems that everything with SDL is clear as mud. Hopefully they get this fixed as I doubt I'm the only one having this problem. I'll report back when they respond.

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
You're not alone! Oct 16, 2011

I have this problem too and cannot use the spell-checker (the main reason I upgraded to Studio 2011 was for using the MS word spell checker...)
The spell-checker does highlights errors while I write but when I finish the translation and want to run it on the whole translation it gives me this error message..

[Edited at 2011-10-16 15:41 GMT]

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still no answer Oct 17, 2011

I'm still waiting for a response from SDL.

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got a reply Oct 19, 2011

They asked for the following information, anybody else experiencing the same problem may want to post here or submit a support ticket with the same info.

1. Target Language -
2. Version of Office -
3. Version of Windows -
4. Files they are working on in Studio -
5. Any issues with running spell check in Word on the same file -

Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
MS spell checker was working, but not anymore. Oct 26, 2011

I'm having a similar problem and came across this thread while looking for answers. My situation is as follows: I had Office 2003 and Office 2010 installed on my system when I installed Studio 2011 (current version 10.0.2692.0). The MS spell checker was working fine in Studio. Today I decided that I no longer need Word 2003, so I uninstalled it. Now the MS spell checker is no longer working in Studio. When I try to select it in Tools > Options > Editor > Spelling I get the error message "Unable to locate if Microsoft Word is installed on this machine." I suspect that the solution is to point Studio toward the Word 2010 spell checker, but I have no idea how to do this and I can't find any information in the Studio help file. Anyone have any ideas?

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2007 SP3... Oct 26, 2011

...just came out. Ben, it doesn't seem to apply to your situation, but I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if it helps. Doubt it, but you never know.

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still not working Oct 27, 2011

The service pack didn't help. SDL are you reading this?

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
install it again Nov 3, 2011

Now I'm told to reinstall my Office. Great, that's what I want to do.

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados is.... Nov 16, 2011

I actually got a new computer a few days ago, did clean downloads and re-installs of all my Office and Trados products, countless SPs and updates installed.

MS spell check works fine in Word but only sometimes in Trados, other times "no supported language" even though it's English and I have a language pack installed! BUT, now I'm getting that ridiculous "termbase could not connect" error that seems to have been plaguing people for over 2 years with seemingly no fix from SDL. Wasting so much of my time!

So, spellcheck only works when it's in the right mood. My giant custom termbase doesn't want to "connect." Awesome.

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved...mostly Nov 17, 2011

So I just got a call from SDL and we did a Webex session. I had already fixed the spellcheck issue myself, though I'm not sure what I did. The underlying problem with the termbase connection was not fixed, but a functioning workaround was found. This is what works (at least in my case): go to project settings, remove (not just disable) the termbase from the project. Go to the main 'view' tab, reset window layout, go back and add your termbase. Very weird, but it works.

I was pleasantly surprised that SDL called me directly, and stoked to have my termbases workig again.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Fixed Apr 27, 2012

Don’t know if this is relevant to your issue, but I found that the Word spell checker works in Studio 2011 if I have Word 2011 installed and no other Word versions on the machine.
I’ve verified this as follows.

Formatted PC with no installations
Install Office 2011
Install Studio 2011
= MS Word spell checker works in Studio

Install Word 2000 (Word 2011 still installed)
= Word spell checker no longer works in Studio – Studio can’t find Word 2011

Activate Office 2011
Word 2000 is somehow eliminated from the equation (maybe same as uninstalling)
= MS Word spell checker works in Studio

So, if you have earlier versions of Word on the machine try uninstalling those and perhaps re-installing just a later version - 2003 or later methinks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STUDIO 2011 - MS spellcheck broken

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search