Marcel Milic
Marcel Milic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:42
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2011

Hi!
I have this file in Word 2010 and in a statistics I see that it contains 30.789 words.
Studio says that it has 48004 words. Difference: 17.215 words!
Why the difference?
Anyone? Please!
Thx!

Jorge Omenat
Jorge Omenat  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2009 and Word 2010 don't give me same count Oct 8, 2011

Maybe your file has hidden text or tags.
You can try that:
Convert your Word file into .rtf format in Word.
Analyze again your file in Word and Trados.

Marcel Milic
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same story ... Oct 8, 2011

... unfortunately.
Same numbers.
There is a lot of tags, yes! But AFAIK Trados ignore them when it has to count the words.
Isn't that so?
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Stories Oct 8, 2011

I am not sure about Word 2010, but previous versions counted only the main area of the text, which in the Wordspeak is known as "story". Other stories include headers, footers, endnotes, footnotes, text embedded in graphics etc.

Do you have any such elements in your document?

Marcel Milic
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Story Oct 8, 2011

Didn't know that main area of the text in MS Word is called "a story".
About headers and footers - no, there is no text in these areas. Only "a story".

[urejeno ob 2011-10-08 22:48 GMT]

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
The difference... Oct 9, 2011

.. may be caused by the different „philosophy” of counting. For example:
Length=10m
is counted as 1 word by Word, but 2 by Studio (I think Studio considers „=” as space”.)

You can find an article about the compariso
... See more
.. may be caused by the different „philosophy” of counting. For example:
Length=10m
is counted as 1 word by Word, but 2 by Studio (I think Studio considers „=” as space”.)

You can find an article about the comparison of MS Word and Trados word count here:
http://www.wintranslation.com/articles/translation-articles/translation-word-counts/
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you want to share the file... Oct 9, 2011

... then perhaps we can take a look?

I know it may be confidential, but if not feel free to email it to me and I'll take a look and see if I can explain the differences.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

liora (X)
liora (X)  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:42
English to Hebrew
+ ...
suggestion for a small test Oct 9, 2011

Just hopping in with my "penny"
Why dont you copy paste a page or two of your word 10 doc into a new doc and count the words, manually even, and do the same with your Studio (if that is possible - I dont do Trados) and count the words as well. Check the difference and see which counting is closer to the truth and the reasons for the discrepancy.
Good luck

George Cook
George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
French to English
+ ...
Not a new problem Oct 10, 2011

This has always been an issue. Basically, what Trados counts as a "word" is not the same as what Word counts as a "word". We have a lot of chemical texts, and often the word count in Trados is double what it is in Word, due to the rules the two have. It's normally down to non-alphanumeric characters (for example it is a big problem in French because of words containing apostrophes, which one program counts a break between words, and the other counts as part of a word).

There is basi
... See more
This has always been an issue. Basically, what Trados counts as a "word" is not the same as what Word counts as a "word". We have a lot of chemical texts, and often the word count in Trados is double what it is in Word, due to the rules the two have. It's normally down to non-alphanumeric characters (for example it is a big problem in French because of words containing apostrophes, which one program counts a break between words, and the other counts as part of a word).

There is basically nothing that can be done about it, even though it is very annoying. There is even often a difference between the word count in Trados Studio and Trados 2007. Other than selecting which you want to use for your word count for billing purposes, and sticking to that consistently, you're pretty much stuck with it, I'm afraid!
Collapse

Marcel Milic
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ... Oct 10, 2011

... for your help!
I followed some of your suggestions and made few tests (Liora, thanks for your suggestion). This far I can say only that difference is caused by very large number of tags in original file.
I took some other files with no tags at all and there is no difference in a count.
Paul, sorry but I can't send the file to you to analyze it, though I would really like to do it and make sure about my findings.
Istvan, thank you for the link. It is very useful.
... See more
... for your help!
I followed some of your suggestions and made few tests (Liora, thanks for your suggestion). This far I can say only that difference is caused by very large number of tags in original file.
I took some other files with no tags at all and there is no difference in a count.
Paul, sorry but I can't send the file to you to analyze it, though I would really like to do it and make sure about my findings.
Istvan, thank you for the link. It is very useful.
I decided to download PractiCount to have one more tool to prove me right or wrong.
PractiCount and Word differ for 238 words (Word's count is 30.789 and PractiCount's says there is 31.027 words). This difference is negligible.
So, I decided to go with Word and PractiCount and to ignore what Trados says.
Paul, just a question for you: is it possible that large number of tags causes such discrepancy?

Again, thanks to all of you!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
On tags Oct 10, 2011

Marcel Milic wrote:
Paul, just a question for you: is it possible that large number of tags causes such discrepancy?

Hi Marcel,

Studio does count tags but not as part of the wordcount. Placeables are counted in the wordcount. There is a useful blog post from Kevin Lossner here on this subject:

http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/08/understanding-sdl-trados-studio-text.html

But I must admit, the size of the discrepancy sounds to be something other than just this... unless it's a text making heavy use of placeables that word doesn't count.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 and Word 2010 don't give me same count

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »