https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/209459-trouble_with_%22save_target_as%22_in_word.html

Trouble with "Save target as" in Word
Thread poster: pgschreier
pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:23
German to English
Oct 9, 2011

Hi,

I've encountered the same problem in Studio 2009 and 2011. Because this job isn't terribly large, it didn't cause too much pain. But it could in the future, so I'm looking for tips.

Client supplies a .docx file. I import it into Studio OK, do my translation.

When it comes time to "save target as", it throws an error "Missing bookmark end tag with name Toc87620663. Writing to Word document not possible."

OK, so I save it as a .doc file (ofte
... See more
Hi,

I've encountered the same problem in Studio 2009 and 2011. Because this job isn't terribly large, it didn't cause too much pain. But it could in the future, so I'm looking for tips.

Client supplies a .docx file. I import it into Studio OK, do my translation.

When it comes time to "save target as", it throws an error "Missing bookmark end tag with name Toc87620663. Writing to Word document not possible."

OK, so I save it as a .doc file (often this solves such problems), repopulate the TUs with the translation, try to export but still get same error message.

Then I save it as an .rtf, then back to .doc, repeat the procedure and still get the same error message.

Is there any workaround, or are there simply some Word docs that won't allow a "save as" export?

Thanks
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have deleted a tag Oct 9, 2011

and you will be getting this error until you correct your error.
Please use the QA checker (press F8) to locate the missing tag.
Double click the error message (or messages) to get to the segment where the tag is missing.
Insert the missing tag (tags) and try again.

In very rare cases it is however possible, that the source text is creating problems. So should you not be able to correct the error as described above, please try to preview source. If that works, the
... See more
and you will be getting this error until you correct your error.
Please use the QA checker (press F8) to locate the missing tag.
Double click the error message (or messages) to get to the segment where the tag is missing.
Insert the missing tag (tags) and try again.

In very rare cases it is however possible, that the source text is creating problems. So should you not be able to correct the error as described above, please try to preview source. If that works, the error is in target. If that however does not work, the problem is coming from the source file. In this case open the source file in Word and save in a different version (ie 2007) or open in Open Office and save as Word again.
Collapse

pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That worked, thanks! Oct 9, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

Running the QA checker did the job.

Once again, you saved the day, thanks.

-- Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with "Save target as" in Word

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »