Dejan Škrebić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:13
English to Serbian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 9, 2011

Hello,

I worked in TagEditor. After 50% of a large document I realize that the delivery should be in simple DOC file and (for various other reasons) I decide to continue working directly in Word, without any CAT tool used.

How can I use the previous translation (memory) and apply it on a new source document in Word DOC file so to get half-translated Word DOC file?

Thank you.

Update about versions used:
Word 2003 document
SDL Trados
... See more
Hello,

I worked in TagEditor. After 50% of a large document I realize that the delivery should be in simple DOC file and (for various other reasons) I decide to continue working directly in Word, without any CAT tool used.

How can I use the previous translation (memory) and apply it on a new source document in Word DOC file so to get half-translated Word DOC file?

Thank you.

Update about versions used:
Word 2003 document
SDL Trados 2007

[Edited at 2011-10-09 16:39 GMT]
Collapse

Friedrich Reinold
Friedrich Reinold
United States
Local time: 00:13
Member (2003)
English to German
Continue working directly in Word after having used TagEditor Oct 9, 2011

Why don't you use the Trados Translator's Workbench together with MS Word? You should be able to use the same TM that you used with TagEditor. You won't get many 100% matches, because TagEditor will have added a dair amount of tags, but the fuzzy matches will be in the 99-95% range, so the previous translation in TagEditor is not lost.

Dejan Škrebić
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Re-translating the first half Oct 9, 2011

Can you give me a step-to-step explanation how to re-translate the first half of the document using Workbench? I am not sure if I am doing everything fine.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Working in Word without a CAT Oct 9, 2011

Dejan Škrebić wrote:

continue working directly in Word, without any CAT tool used.

If you don't want to use a CAT tool on the rest of the document, open your half-translated file in TagEditor, click on "save target as" using shift F12 and rename your file. Open that file in Word and go on translating from where you have left off.

Dejan Škrebić
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Tried, no success Oct 9, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

If you don't want to use a CAT tool on the rest of the document, open your half-translated file in TagEditor, click on "save target as" using shift F12 and rename your file. Open that file in Word and go on translating from where you have left off.

One of the "various other reasons" I mentioned is that I encounter certain problems with TagEditor that I would like to avoid further on. One of those is that I cannot save my target file that way. I get errors in creating Word file and do not get any file at all.

I had thought about the way Mr Reinold suggested, but either I am doing something wrong or there is another error that prevents me re-translate the file with Workbench.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Translate with WB Oct 9, 2011

Dejan Škrebić wrote:

Tried, no success

I see. Well, you could try going to Workbench>Tools>translate and translating the source file from scratch with your TM. Then open that file in Word and translate with WB using "translate to fuzzy".

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't give up yet Oct 10, 2011

Even if you get some problems when starting using tools like Trados it is worth to continue. How many problems did you have when starting using textprocessors instead of typewriters?
There is no way back.
Your problem may be that you inadvertently deleted something that is needed when saving the file to Word-format. Start with a copy of the original file and use translate to fuzzy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Continue working directly in Word after having used TagEditor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »