Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What are the top reasons to upgrade from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Andrei Vybornov
Andrei Vybornov
Andrei Vybornov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2011

I use Studio 2009 on a daily basis and would gladly pay a few bucks to upgrade to a more functional version of Studio. The only problem is that I cannot see any improvements in Studio 2011.
SDL marketing people talk mostly about the new "track changes" feature, but I really fail to see how it is different from the SDL XLIFF Converter app. I would be greatful if somebody explains that.

I would also like to ask SDL people which ideas suggested by the users have been implemented
... See more
I use Studio 2009 on a daily basis and would gladly pay a few bucks to upgrade to a more functional version of Studio. The only problem is that I cannot see any improvements in Studio 2011.
SDL marketing people talk mostly about the new "track changes" feature, but I really fail to see how it is different from the SDL XLIFF Converter app. I would be greatful if somebody explains that.

I would also like to ask SDL people which ideas suggested by the users have been implemented in Studio 2011 (not in 2009). This is very important since it would show whether SDL listens to their customers. I have downloaded Studio 2011 and started to evaluate it. So far I have not noticed ANY changes except the background color

I would be greatful if the new Studio 2011 users post here what they like in Studio 2011 compared to Studio 2009.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Andrei
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
English
Before the rush ;-) Oct 10, 2011

Hello Andrei,

Just to answer your specific question. The SDLXLIFF Converter for 2009 and Studio 2009 do not support track changes, and the SDLXLIFF Converter in 2011 is much improved with more options. With 2011 you can export this from Studio and it includes some amendments using track changes:

These tracked changes in Studio are them exported into the wor
... See more
Hello Andrei,

Just to answer your specific question. The SDLXLIFF Converter for 2009 and Studio 2009 do not support track changes, and the SDLXLIFF Converter in 2011 is much improved with more options. With 2011 you can export this from Studio and it includes some amendments using track changes:

These tracked changes in Studio are them exported into the word document and recognised as track changes in Word.

I can now accept the changes and make some more changes in word.

Then import back into Studio and the changes are reflected.

There is a track changes toolbar that allows me to accept or reject in a similar way it is handled in word.

This process using the SDLXLIFF Converter was not possible before because track changes were not supported in the SDLXLIFF Converter or 2009. You can also use this within Studio just by translating and reviewing, so you don;t have to use the SDLXLIFF Converter, but it obviously brings many advantages if you do.

So insofar as the SDLXLIFF Converter goes, prevously you could bring in the text you changed, but there was no way of knowing what was changed specifically other than by inspection.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Which ideas made it in... Oct 10, 2011

Andrei Vybornov wrote:
I would also like to ask SDL people which ideas suggested by the users have been implemented in Studio 2011 (not in 2009). This is very important since it would show whether SDL listens to their customers. I have downloaded Studio 2011 and started to evaluate it. So far I have not noticed ANY changes except the background color

Hello Andrei,

We will answer this one in due course. To be honest we have been remiss in not updating the ideas site with the details of the new release. We will do this in due course and you will be able to see them against the release details in the ideas site. I'll drop a note into this thread when the work is complete in updating the site so you can take a look for yourself.

It is important of course to listen to our users and to implement enhancements where appropriate... and we try to. Not all of our users inhabit ProZ. We do have a long term roadmap and strategy for all the products we own and ensuring this is followed whilst doing what we can for specific user requests along the way has to be our priority. Some things we will only be able to look at when the appropriate time comes to enhance a particular area of the software... other things can be done as a one off when time permits.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
What I like about Studio 2011 Oct 10, 2011

This is a short list of things I like about Studio 2011:

- You can process bilingual Word files. Admittedly I don't get asked for these so much nowadays, but when agencies insist on this format, I can now deliver what they want but still work in Studio.
- Improved display filter settings (filter by locked/unlocked, numbers only, with tracked changes). This is much more versatile now.
- QA is more user-friendly. A special window pops up (similar to running a Spell check
... See more
This is a short list of things I like about Studio 2011:

- You can process bilingual Word files. Admittedly I don't get asked for these so much nowadays, but when agencies insist on this format, I can now deliver what they want but still work in Studio.
- Improved display filter settings (filter by locked/unlocked, numbers only, with tracked changes). This is much more versatile now.
- QA is more user-friendly. A special window pops up (similar to running a Spell check in Word) that identifies the segment that is the culprit and it even tries to suggest a solution. You don't even have to go to the segment any more because you can correct it in the QA window.
- You can select the MS Word spell checker now (which also means you add to your Word custom dictionary, not a different Studio one).
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
bilingual files Oct 10, 2011

The top reason for me to upgrade was the handling of bilingual files.
I do still have a number of clients who need files to be delivered in this format and handling the translation in Studio allows to benefit from all Studio-only features one won't find in Workbench (using several TMs/Termbases, Auto Suggest etc.).

That's one point on which SDL really listened to their customers I think.

I agree with Emma on the other main points; I would simply add the possibil
... See more
The top reason for me to upgrade was the handling of bilingual files.
I do still have a number of clients who need files to be delivered in this format and handling the translation in Studio allows to benefit from all Studio-only features one won't find in Workbench (using several TMs/Termbases, Auto Suggest etc.).

That's one point on which SDL really listened to their customers I think.

I agree with Emma on the other main points; I would simply add the possibility to add autotext entries on the fly. Certainly a detail but it makes the whole thing much easier and efficient.

Last, Studio 2011 does not generate huge "file types" folders any longer, which makes the projects files lighter and, more important, clearer.

HTH
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bilingual Word files, translate to fuzzy, track changes, AutoText, display filters Oct 10, 2011

For me, the ability to work with bilingual Word files has meant that I no longer have to use Workbench, and thus Studio 2011 is getting a lot more use than Studio 2009 ever did in my case, as many of my clients still require this file type.

I have found the track changes feature really useful when other members of the team (editor, proofreader) have Studio 2011 as well, since you can get the files back with tracked changes and work from that, no need for intermediate conversions.... See more
For me, the ability to work with bilingual Word files has meant that I no longer have to use Workbench, and thus Studio 2011 is getting a lot more use than Studio 2009 ever did in my case, as many of my clients still require this file type.

I have found the track changes feature really useful when other members of the team (editor, proofreader) have Studio 2011 as well, since you can get the files back with tracked changes and work from that, no need for intermediate conversions.

Translate to fuzzy is another plus for me, this feature is back in Studio 2011.

The display filter options are also better in Studio 2011, and they make it display certain segments and exclude others.

And just like Aude has said, the ability to add AutoText entries on the fly is a great timesaver, one of my favorite improvements, in fact.
Collapse

AnnaKuzm
AnnaKuzm
United States
Local time: 12:45
New features in Studio 2011 worth upgrading for. Oct 10, 2011

HI I totally agree with the posters regarding the new or expanded features in 2011, the Display list is fabulous and every day I find new ways to use it. The on the fly addition of AutoText entries it great, and I am so grateful that we get to use the MS speller - Hunspell in my language was a hinder rather than a help. I use Track changes with my editor and it is superior to using the Open for review, since you see what he or she changed
I also am using Studio to work on files from Idiom
... See more
HI I totally agree with the posters regarding the new or expanded features in 2011, the Display list is fabulous and every day I find new ways to use it. The on the fly addition of AutoText entries it great, and I am so grateful that we get to use the MS speller - Hunspell in my language was a hinder rather than a help. I use Track changes with my editor and it is superior to using the Open for review, since you see what he or she changed
I also am using Studio to work on files from Idiom WorldServer, which is working really well and we can avoid many of the pitfalls in WS... Return of Translate to fuzzy is also an improvement!

I have not tested the bilingual Word files, since I tend to convert all doc files to ttx and all my clients accept delivery of bilingual ttx plus a clean doc and in some cases the exported TM.
Of course there are additional items on the wish list, but as people submit ideas, SDL is pretty good about incorporating them. I have actually submitted several ideas over the years seemed to have been received well by the developers.

The best way to get the developers to listen to you is to come with suggestions and ideas, we should keep them coming!
Anna
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was happy with Trados 2007 Oct 11, 2011

...but I upgraded to Studio 2009 in May 2010 because of its compatibility with Windows 7, my new OS for my laptop (and now my desktop).

I use a different workflow for track changes. Track changes are used by my clients as an editing, not translating, tool. So, I see no added value in working with track changes in the Studio environment.

Even if the improvement added with track changes to Studio 2011, it's a very expensive one. So, I am staying put with Studio 2009 for y
... See more
...but I upgraded to Studio 2009 in May 2010 because of its compatibility with Windows 7, my new OS for my laptop (and now my desktop).

I use a different workflow for track changes. Track changes are used by my clients as an editing, not translating, tool. So, I see no added value in working with track changes in the Studio environment.

Even if the improvement added with track changes to Studio 2011, it's a very expensive one. So, I am staying put with Studio 2009 for years to come.

Studio 2009 is still behind tools such as Deja Vu X. For example, I was finishing a translation (Excel sheet) in Studio 2009 today. For some reason, the total didn't add up to 100%. I had to go through the whole set of segments to see if I had missed a TU to translate, a very time-consuming process, with no help from the toolbar in Studio. Only when I ran QA Verify I was able to see the errant TUs and correct them.

In DVX, on the other hand, I can select the type of TUs (called "rows") to display: empty, unfinished, exact match, exact match propagated, finished, fuzzy, etc.

So, SDLX, try bringing serious and significant upgrades to the software before you charge us for them. Here's an idea: ditch MultiTerm, it's overkill for the majority of translators.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 03:36 GMT]
Collapse

marco2
marco2
English to Italian
Improvements in Studio 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Hello,

There are a lot of improvements in Studio 2011 from Studio 2009.

My colleagues have already mentioned some of them above, I'll just recap those which I appreciate most:

-Bilingual Word files: Many agencies still want bilingual Word file as deliverables. Now Studio 2011 supports this file format so that you can easily translate bilingual Word files directly in Studio 2011.
BTW, as an additional comment on this, this is the clearest example that
... See more
Hello,

There are a lot of improvements in Studio 2011 from Studio 2009.

My colleagues have already mentioned some of them above, I'll just recap those which I appreciate most:

-Bilingual Word files: Many agencies still want bilingual Word file as deliverables. Now Studio 2011 supports this file format so that you can easily translate bilingual Word files directly in Studio 2011.
BTW, as an additional comment on this, this is the clearest example that SDL listens carefully to their users' base. When bilingual Word file support was abandoned by Studio 2009 (and for good reasons, since the Word macro translation process with Workbench was a rather obsolete process), we asked to have it back, and with their first new product release back it is.

-Translate to Fuzzy: Again, another feature highly appreciated by many translators that was not present in Studio 2009 but which has been implemented in Studio 2009 expressly upon linguists' request. My personal view on this is that I did miss this feature a lot in Studio 2009, but then I got so used to the Studio environment (and enjoyed it) that I learned to live very happily without Translate to Fuzzy, so now that it's back I found out I am not using it so much as I thought But this is a very personal view, and I know for sure that many colleagues are using it a lot.

-Track Changes (together with SDLXLIFF Converter in 2011): This has been described very well above by SDL Support. The integration with the SDLXLIFF Converter in 2011 app is perfect, and it makes the clients' review/approval process extremely smooth. Track Changes is also an added value for review scenarios. Whether you choose to review/approve within Studio 2011 or by using SDLXLIFF Converter in 2011, the whole review process is flawless.

-Improved display filter settings: You now have a very wide display filters offering, and you can concentrate on any type of segment category you wish, to improve and speed up your work.

-MS Word spell checker: Again, another very useful option to choose from when you select the spell checker you want to use (Hunspell was not ideal for some languages).

-SDL OpenExhange apps: This is not a novelty of Studio 2011, but I believe some standard Studio 2009 users have not taken advantage of such apps since they had to go to OpenExhange, browse them, decided which one to install, etc. Now 4 of the most used OpenExhange apps get automatically installed with Studio 2011, so that they are already there at your fingertips. I think apps are one of the most valuable Studio (not specifically 2011, also 2009) innovations. I could not live without SDLXLIFF Converter for example when I work for my direct clients for their approval process. And many apps have still to come, since any developer can create an OpenExchange app by using the Studio/MultiTerm APIs and SDKs.

-No more SDL Trados 2007 dependencies: You don't need to have SDL Trados 2007 installed on your PC.

I know I am forgetting other enhancements, such as new file filters, Pseudo-translate, quicker installation and a simpler licensing.

Last but not least, the main improvement that, alone, would be worthwhile the upgrade to Studio 2011: overall performance improvement. My personal experience with using Studio 2009 and now Studio 2011 (on the same PC, so the comparison is not affected by different systems) is that the new Studio 2011 performance has much improved! All daily operations run quicker and smoother, and I haven't experienced a single crash with Studio 2011 yet! I must confess that I had some performance issues with Studio 2009 now and then, maybe not major ones, but little annoyances that forced me to occasionally re-launch the program. Now with Studio 2011 these are things of the past.

Regards,
Marco
Collapse

Andrei Vybornov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your feedback! Oct 11, 2011

@ Paul
Right now when I need my files reviewed, I export them with SDLX Converter and send to the editor. The editor reviews the files in MS Word with the track changes on, so when I receive the files back I can perfectly see what has been changed. Studio 2011 allows doing just that, but without leaving the Studio interface. So in terms of pure functionality I do not see any improvement

When you update the ideas
... See more
@ Paul
Right now when I need my files reviewed, I export them with SDLX Converter and send to the editor. The editor reviews the files in MS Word with the track changes on, so when I receive the files back I can perfectly see what has been changed. Studio 2011 allows doing just that, but without leaving the Studio interface. So in terms of pure functionality I do not see any improvement

When you update the ideas site and make a list of implemented changes, please also make a list of most wanted changes (also for Studio 2011 only). It will be interesting to compare the two

So far the top entries in the Most Voted category (merging segments over paragraph breaks, marking changes in a readable way, saving files in TTX, modifying source text) have been ignored. I do not know “when the appropriate time comes” to make this enhancements, but I am sure you know that your competitors have most of these features (if not all) already implemented.

@Emma
- Yes, bilingual Word files could be the biggest advantage (more important than track changes) if Studio could create these files. Alas, as far as I know you still need the old Trados to create such files (same as TTX).
- Improved display filter settings. Yes, I have noticed that, but frankly speaking I use the “Containing” field of the Display Filter toolbar more often than the “type of segment”. Yet, I agree that filtering has improved.
- QA is more user-friendly… Strange, I did not notice any pop-up windows. Everything seems to work like before. Sadly, I still can’t select several messages to delete in the QA messages tab (either all or one).
- MS Word spell checker. Yes!

@ Aude
- Possibility to add autotext entries on the fly… Yes, thank you for pointing this out.

@ Nora
- …no longer have to use Workbench… How is that? As far as I know you still need the workbench to create bilingual files. If your agency does that for you, it is not the advantage of Studio 2011. In fact the statement of SDL marketing people “No more need for SDL Trados 2007” is a huge exaggeration in my opinion. You cannot create TTX and bilingual Word files or do the alignment without Trados 2007 (which is no longer shipped with Studio 2011, unless you pay some extra!)

@ AnnaKuzm
- Return of Translate to fuzzy… Yeah, makes me feel I should have stayed with Trados 2007

@ Mario Chavez
- ditch MultiTerm… NO! Not that. I love the way Multiterm is integrated in Studio interface. It allows me to see all terms in a segment with their translations (and comments) at a glance. It is almost the only reason why MemoQ is still not an option for me.

Overall I see a few improvements but they don’t look game changing to me. Anything else?

Please keep posting!

Best regards,
Andrei
Collapse

Andrei Vybornov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ marco2 Oct 11, 2011

- Bilingual Word files, Translate to Fuzzy… Don’t you think that eliminating features in Studio 2009 and then bringing them back in Studio 2011 is not exactly the way software should evolve? I also mentioned “marking changes in a readable way” above. This is something we all enjoyed in the past and now have to beg to bring it back. And now my favorite: I want to be able to specify my User Name in Studio like in good old times! Beats me why SDL thinks it is not important.

- N
... See more
- Bilingual Word files, Translate to Fuzzy… Don’t you think that eliminating features in Studio 2009 and then bringing them back in Studio 2011 is not exactly the way software should evolve? I also mentioned “marking changes in a readable way” above. This is something we all enjoyed in the past and now have to beg to bring it back. And now my favorite: I want to be able to specify my User Name in Studio like in good old times! Beats me why SDL thinks it is not important.

- No more SDL Trados 2007 dependencies… See my comment @ Nora. I would be grateful if you explain how you create TTX and bilingual DOC files or do the alignment without Trados 2007. (Yes, I do remember about TTX It!) .

- overall performance improvement… I did not notice any
You may be luckier than me, because the first thing Studio 2011 (I use the demo version now) did on me when I tried to open an existing project from Studio 2009 was crash!

But again, my goal is not to criticize SDL, I genuinely want to see, how Studio 2011 can make me a happier user!

Regards,
Andrei

[Edited at 2011-10-11 07:38 GMT]
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Oct 11, 2011

Mario Chavez wrote:

Studio 2009 is still behind tools such as Deja Vu X. For example, I was finishing a translation (Excel sheet) in Studio 2009 today. For some reason, the total didn't add up to 100%. I had to go through the whole set of segments to see if I had missed a TU to translate, a very time-consuming process, with no help from the toolbar in Studio. Only when I ran QA Verify I was able to see the errant TUs and correct them.

In DVX, on the other hand, I can select the type of TUs (called "rows") to display: empty, unfinished, exact match, exact match propagated, finished, fuzzy, etc.

Hello Mario,

that's exactly what Studio 2011 allows with the improved display filters (more than 20 different criteria, likely to be combined with Regex).

Even in Studio 2009 though, you should be able locate such empty/draft TU by putting your cursor at the beginning of the file (to be sure to be before the empty TU) and click ctrl-enter. This should bring you automatically to the first unconfirmed TU/row.
Or did I miss something regarding the problem you experienced?

Andrei Vybornov wrote:
You cannot create TTX and bilingual Word files or do the alignment without Trados 2007

Hello Andrei,
Indeed Workbench is still needed to create Word bilingual files. Re TTX and alignment: TTX can be created using the SDL TTX It! free open exchange app, and save if I am wrong WinAlign is still provided with Studio 2011 - accessible through the upper toolbar in "home" view. If you can't see the icon you may need to expand the toolbar by clicking on the arrow at the end of the bar.

QA is more user-friendly… Strange, I did not notice any pop-up windows. Everything seems to work like before.

Double clicking on the row concerned (in the QA window) brings up a pop up window. You can then work directly in this window and solve all errors/warning/notes issues from there instead of having to go back and forth between the QA window and the editor field as in Studio 2009.

Edit: Andrei, I just saw your reply to Marco regarding TTx It! Well, I think it is really useful to create TTX and do without TagEditor (which is what we are expecting from it)...

[Edited at 2011-10-11 06:59 GMT]

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 04:45
Japanese to English
Relating to 2009 but to answer Mario's post: Display Filter!!! Oct 11, 2011

Mario, I think you are forgetting the display filter in Studio 2009. In Editor view, make sure that View > Toolbars > Display Filter is selected. Then, find the toolbar that says "Display:", there you can select to display:
  • All segments (the default),
  • Segments with Comments,
  • Duplicate segments,
  • Fuzzy matches,
  • Newly translated content,
  • 100% pretranslated segments, or
  • Unconfirmed segments

Just an FYI so you can get more use out of 2009 if you choose to stay with it!

MLGrant

• Andrei Vybornov
    Russian Federation
    English to Russian
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    @ Aude Oct 11, 2011

Thank you, Aude!

So, you cannot create bilingual .doc files with Studio 2001. Strangely, SDL marketing people prefer not to mention it

...WinAlign is still provided with Studio 2011... Hope so, although I am not sure which app the WinAlign button on the toolbar launches: it may be just a link to my existing installation of WinAlign which is part of Trados 2007 and I am not sure the button will still work
    ... See more
    Thank you, Aude!

So, you cannot create bilingual .doc files with Studio 2001. Strangely, SDL marketing people prefer not to mention it

...WinAlign is still provided with Studio 2011... Hope so, although I am not sure which app the WinAlign button on the toolbar launches: it may be just a link to my existing installation of WinAlign which is part of Trados 2007 and I am not sure the button will still work if I don't have Trados 2007 on my PC.

Yes, I tried the pop-up QA window at your prompt. It is indeed somewhat more convenient. The drawback is that you cannot see the surrounding segments. So it is one step forward and one back. I guess it would be more convenient, if they just added a couple of buttons (with shortcuts): "go to next suspect segment" and "go to previous suspect segment" which would bring me to respective segments in the Editor window.

Regards,
    Andrei

[Edited at 2011-10-11 07:29 GMT]
    Collapse

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    It's no secret Oct 11, 2011

Andrei Vybornov wrote:

Hello Andrei,

It really isn't a secret and we have even blogged about it on the SDL website..

Studio 2011 Series : The Return of the Bilingual Word File Type : http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

I believe some SDL Marketing people have even showed the process using 2007 to create the bilingual filetype first just in case a new user is not aware of how to do this. I'm hopeful we'll see an OpenExchange App to do this the same as we do for TTX.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the top reasons to upgrade from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011?

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »