[STUDIO 2011] CANNOT change the Font of Korean Word Target files from Studio 2011
Thread poster: jueun224

jueun224  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:45
English to Korean
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

Hi,

My language pair is English-Korean and I've started using Studio 2011.

BUT I CANNOT change the fixed font of final Korean Word Target files from Studio 2011.

I usually edit the final version of translated files for good readability before sending them to my clients.

English is OK, but only Korean doesn't work at all. The FONT of Korean cannot be changed at all.

Studio 2009 doesn't have this problem. What happened to Studio 2011?

Does not it support Korean?

I will appreciate any advice.

I'd like to use Studio 2011.

Regards

Grace

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
English
Not sure I fully understand the question Oct 11, 2011

Hi Grace,

Korean is of course supported, but I'm unclear about the "fixed font" part. Do you mean that the font in the target file is different to what is expected or that you are unable to force a specific font to be used in the target document?

Please feel free to email me with an example if it's easier to explain. It would help me to find the problem if I could see it.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

WTT
United States
Local time: 10:15
English to Korean
+ ...
I have the same font issues in the saved target Korean Word files. Nov 4, 2011

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011. After saving my target translation as the original format, in this case, *docx, the saved Korean Word file shows font issues. Both English and Korean fonts displayed in my saved Korean file won't change as I want while selecting different fonts in the font list. It seems like Studio assigns target fonts to be used in Word permanently by itself before saving target. (I am not talking about the display fonts in the Studio environment.) Was there any development with this issue?

Sean

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
English
Looks like a bug Nov 4, 2011

Hi Sean,

I could only verify the problem. Using 2011 the Korean characters adopted Times New Roman instead of Malgun Gothic. Using 2009 all was fine. I have logged this with development for investigation and resolution.

I can take a look at your file if you like to make sure the problem is the same thing?

Regards

Paul

Minji Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 02:45
English to Korean
I also cannot fix the Korean font!!! Nov 18, 2011

I've upgraded the trados into 2011 version a few weeks ago. But I couldn't fix the Korean font. So now I'm using the 2009 version again. It means that there is no meaning for me to upgrade. What is upgrade?? Upgrade is upgrade, not downgrade. It is ridiculous that I cannot use the 2011 version just because of the font. And also I cannot understand why this happen to the only Korean font.

English2Korean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
English to Korean
+ ...
I cannot change the fonts either. Dec 16, 2011

Whenever I generate final Korean translation, the language become set to Arabic (Saudi Arabi) and the Korean characters are corrupt.

I cannot change the font nor the language set (Arabic to Korean).

See my screen shot.

I installed all the fresh softwares.

New computer, new office 2010, new trados 2011 etc.

screenshot.png

Could you fix it ASAP, please?

English2Korean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
English to Korean
+ ...
When I upgraded to 2011, Dec 16, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Sean,

I could only verify the problem. Using 2011 the Korean characters adopted Times New Roman instead of Malgun Gothic. Using 2009 all was fine. I have logged this with development for investigation and resolution.

I can take a look at your file if you like to make sure the problem is the same thing?

Regards

Paul

My license of 2009 was revoked. How can I use 2009?
Please give me a solution, Paul!!!

WTT
United States
English to Korean
+ ...
Wondering if there is any progress regarding this issue. Dec 30, 2011

Dear Paul,

Recently I found that there was a batch of updates, which was automatically downloaded and installed to my Studio 2011. Then I had a test to see if there was any development regarding the font issue. The update doesn't seem to include a fix for the issue yet.

I wonder if I can know any estimated schedule of the fix development. I have been suggesting my translators to purchase the tool, but now I am holding off doing so, and not using Studio 2011 for our projects.

I'd appreciate any update regarding this matter.

Thanks.

Sean

Paik Cook  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
English to Korean
Studio 2011 SP2: Korean font display problem in Word 2003 Jul 25, 2012

I am not sure whether my problem is related to the thread of postings related to the font. I just upgraded (July 23 2012) from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011 SP2

SITUATION: The source English file is Word 2003 and I translate it to Korean. After translation, I save the Target (Korean) as a Word 2003 file from the Editor screen.

ISSUE: The Korean font in Word 2003 is NOT PROPERLY DISPLAYED - Just one single Korean character repeatedly appears. When the source file is Word 2007, there is NO PROBLEM.

I have also noticed that THERE IS NO OPTION IN "SAVE AS TYPE." I can only save the Target in the same type as the source.

[Edited at 2012-07-25 17:03 GMT]

Lion Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
MS Word 2003 documents may cause a font problem. Jan 17, 2013

If a source document is MS Word 2003 format, open the file with MS Word 2007 or higher version. And, save it as a new name in MS Word 2007 file format (*.docx).

Then, use the newly saved file for SDL Trados Studio 2011.

I guess you can do Save Target As in SDL Trados Studio 2011. Also you change the font whatever you want later.

Best regards,
Lion

Tony Steiner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:15
issues with fonts in MsWord generated by Studio 2011 Mar 21, 2013

Hi guys,

I have the same issue. This is an issue with SDLTrados.
I have the latest version with the latest update, the same problem is persisting.

In my case, this is in Chinese. The language is actually irrelevant in this issue.

Source files: MsWord (docx)
Translation and post process in Studio 2011
Target files: MsWord (docx)

The issue are in the target MsWord files generated from Studio. In those files, we just cannot change the font, apply different fonts, it just does not work.

Word is ignoring and not applying any new fonts on any words or sentences.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks

SDLTrados 2011 Pro SP2R - 10.4.3069.1

Kaori Kawakami  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
Member (2015)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Suddenly my Studio 2014 'Find and Replace' cannot type in Japanese Nov 30, 2017

Dear Paul,

I am not sure if this is the same root cause but suddenly, my Find and Replace function in Studio 2014 stops writing in Japanese. When I shut down my pc and restart it, the function stays OK for 5-10 min and started to having the same problem.

When I type in Japanese in the field until I click 'Enter' to confirm the word, it appears in Japanese, then with the click of Enter, it suddenly changes to corrupted words.

Could you also take a look at it?

Kaori

This is BEFORE I click ENTER

ys8suxybwkm00m7rl8he.png

This is AFTERI click ENTER

nctmdei2qcyannvdzdkk.png

[Edited at 2017-11-30 12:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-11-30 12:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[STUDIO 2011] CANNOT change the Font of Korean Word Target files from Studio 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search