Google Translator not working in Studio
Thread poster: Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
O Delepine
O Delepine
Local time: 10:52
English to French
GT4T does not fix the pb Oct 14, 2011

Morning all

Just to say that I've installed GT4T and this does not fix anything in Trados as far as I can see.

Not tried rebooting the router yet but isn't this a bit cumbersome? how often do you have to do this?

I have been using the SDL proprietary AT as a substitute since yesterday… it’s ok, but it is not a patch on Google Translate, just not as efficient. I am currently working on a user guide (one has to make a living…) and this is exactly the so
... See more
Morning all

Just to say that I've installed GT4T and this does not fix anything in Trados as far as I can see.

Not tried rebooting the router yet but isn't this a bit cumbersome? how often do you have to do this?

I have been using the SDL proprietary AT as a substitute since yesterday… it’s ok, but it is not a patch on Google Translate, just not as efficient. I am currently working on a user guide (one has to make a living…) and this is exactly the sort of document where GT is a such a incredibly useful tool.

Like others on this thread, i sincerely hope SDL release a patch for TS 2009 users. Mr SDL, can you please reassure us that it will be the case?

Best
Olivier
Collapse

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
English to Norwegian
+ ...
A question of support lifecycle Oct 14, 2011

The specification of Studio 2009 clearly states that it supports Google Translate (it does not talk about if it only does it when it is free). So if they want us to pay extra for that plugin, I really think they are entering in an illegal field. Let's see what happens. I have no problem whatsoever to demand my money back.

I only bought Studio 2009 because I could use it with Google Translate, and now this...

You were able use Studio 2009 with Google Translate when you bought it. The question here is how long SDL will continue to support Studio 2009 (i.e. its support lifecycle) to accomodate such changes as the API one.

That being said, Studio 2009 was still for sale during the summer of 2011, so I will expect SDL to continue to support it for some time to come.

To compare, Microsoft launched Windows XP in the beginning of 2002 and continued supporting it until 2009.

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
OK workaround for smaller projects Oct 14, 2011

Kenneth Powers wrote:

Then start clicking on the segments to let GT fill in as many as it will, reboot the router again to get a new IP and start letting GT do its thing until it stops, uncheck google translate, translate the segments google has filled in and then recheck Google, you'll now get a few more segments, reboot router etc etc

This is an OK workaround for smaller projects but too time-consuming for medium/large ones (500 words and more). For larger projects, I am still making TMs through Google Translator's toolkit.

O Delepine
O Delepine
English to French
a quicker turnaround Oct 14, 2011

hi again

actually there is an even quicker turnaround, building on Bjørnar's solution:

1- just run your document through Google Translator's kit
2 - run Winalign between source document and the google translation
3 - presto, you have your google translate tmx.

Many thanks to Bjørnar for the initial idea though!

ta

O Delepine
O Delepine
English to French
actually... Oct 14, 2011

actually...this workaround does work but it does involve using GT Toolkit, which is just not suitable for any document covered by an NDA or any other form of confidentiality agreement...which is pretty much all of them...

so...where is that router again?...

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Paying for GT API Oct 14, 2011

Does anybody know if paying for GT API solves the problem?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
It does not... Oct 14, 2011

... unless you paste the code received from Google to the CAT tool you use and since there's no such field in Trados (as far as I know), there's nothing we can do but wait until CAT tool developers update their software.

Lothaire Lemaistre
Lothaire Lemaistre
France
English to French
+ ...
Payable Google Translate API Oct 15, 2011

I just downloaded the 45 days trial version of MemoQ and registered for the Google API V2. I inserted the required key in the plugin field as shown on a previous page fo this thread, but the Google MT plgin window in the editor screen remains desperately empty :/

This said, a fee of 20 USD for 1 million characters is not that much of a ripp-off. I work full-time and hardly translate this amount in a half-year.

[Modifié le 2011-10-15 13:13 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Lothaire Oct 15, 2011

I activated billing yesterday, and had to wait until today for it to start working (in memoQ 5).

I can now track my usage in the console, and the little red x is gone next to 'Billing'.

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GT4T Oct 15, 2011

Nguyen Dieu wrote:

Hi,

You can use the tool called GT4T to use Google translate in Trados studio, MemoQ or any application.

Use the link below to buy the tool and you will get some discount:
http://gt4t.net/?r=rjpvqtuz

I think I am going to buy GT4T until SDL decides to do something for its clients.
Now my question:

I see there are many options: GT4T Suite, GT4T Suite for Microsoft Word, GT4T Word Macro, Google Translate feature and Google Dictionary feature.

If I only want to use it in order to make Studio 2009 be able to work with Google Translate, which one do you recommend? Google Translate feature, right?

Are you sure that Studio 2009 will be then able to get translations from GT???

Thanks!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SDL vs MS support... Oct 15, 2011

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

(...)

You were able use Studio 2009 with Google Translate when you bought it. The question here is how long SDL will continue to support Studio 2009 (i.e. its support lifecycle) to accomodate such changes as the API one.

That being said, Studio 2009 was still for sale during the summer of 2011, so I will expect SDL to continue to support it for some time to come.

AFAIR Google announced the Google Translate API v1 deprecation (and a paid Google Translate API v2) in May 2011, so if SDL doesn't develop some patch for S2011, it will be another typical SDL half-truth publicity.

To compare, Microsoft launched Windows XP in the beginning of 2002 and continued supporting it until 2009.

You're wrong, Bjørnar
The so called extended support (no new features, only critical and security related patches) for XP ends April 8, 2014.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

In fact, MS sometimes releases critical patches after the extended support end date, I opened recently my "archived" very, very old notebook with Windows 2000 Pro and Trados 5.5 and 6.5 and I received some patches although the extended support for Win 2000 Pro expired in July 2010.

In the SDL world it would mean patches for Trados 5.x... LOL...

Catspeed
GG

Lothaire Lemaistre
Lothaire Lemaistre
France
English to French
+ ...
Development delay Oct 15, 2011

I read earlier in this thread that SDL had to face some problem because of Google's API being hard-coded or something technical like this.
Alright, I can understand. Programming, integration, testing and release all take some time. That's fine by me.

But it's been more than 6 months now since Google announced the depreciation of it's v.1 API... Is this REALLY a too short lapse of time to start thinking about, developing and testing a new integration (perhaps of another free on
... See more
I read earlier in this thread that SDL had to face some problem because of Google's API being hard-coded or something technical like this.
Alright, I can understand. Programming, integration, testing and release all take some time. That's fine by me.

But it's been more than 6 months now since Google announced the depreciation of it's v.1 API... Is this REALLY a too short lapse of time to start thinking about, developing and testing a new integration (perhaps of another free online automated translation tool, perhaps as a payable option or a stand-alone plug-in) ? Even if it happened amidst the preparation of the release of an updated software version ?

I can not EVEN imagine that there wouldn't be any update patch for Studio 2009. It was still sold for a very attractive price only 3 months ago and a huge majority of users haven't yet migrated to Studio 2011 (if they ever want to). Now, that would be a very disappointing lack of support, to say the least, for all those translators who were used to use this tool and now have to spend time with unelegant workarounds such as converting files to .

No really, there is no excuse for the moment.
Collapse

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just talk to SDL Oct 15, 2011

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

(...)

AFAIR Google announced the Google Translate API v1 deprecation (and a paid Google Translate API v2) in May 2011, so if SDL doesn't develop some patch for S2011, it will be another typical SDL half-truth publicity.

You're wrong, Bjørnar
The so called extended support (no new features, only critical and security related patches) for XP ends April 8, 2014.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

In fact, MS sometimes releases critical patches after the extended support end date, I opened recently my "archived" very, very old notebook with Windows 2000 Pro and Trados 5.5 and 6.5 and I received some patches although the extended support for Win 2000 Pro expired in July 2010.

In the SDL world it would mean patches for Trados 5.x... LOL...

Catspeed
GG

We are many people with this problem. Why do not we ask SDL directly so they can see they have many unsatisfed customers?
I have already done it in the chat of its page.

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GT4T Oct 15, 2011

Hi all,

until all this problem is solved, I also bought GT4T: 6 months for just 8$!!!.

And if SDL does not offer a solution, I will use this tool instead of upgrading to the 745 Euro Studio 2011...

Best regards!
Francisco

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Good luck with that Oct 15, 2011

Francisco Mar Rubio wrote:

We are many people with this problem. Why do not we ask SDL directly so they can see they have many unsatisfed customers?
I have already done it in the chat of its page.

Let us know if they bother to offer a sensible solution.

Rather then being forced to pay for 2011, I will certainly switch to something else, and I will never buy another SDL product again. BTW I not a single clinet asked for T2009. (Actually one client did ask for it, but he changed his mind when he realized what a disaster it created for other language colleagues, and went back to 2007 within one week.)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »