Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

Is there a way of displaying comments (as with Word) in the final target file? I can see that I can make comments for myself as I work through the file but is there any way of displaying these so they can be visible to the client in the final clean file?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
English
Not in the clean file... Oct 11, 2011

... but perhaps you could also send along a word document created using the SDLXLIFF Converter and this could include comments and be formatted using the horizontal layout as an accompanying document showing source, target and the comments?

Regards

Paul

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I do that? Oct 11, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

... but perhaps you could also send along a word document created using the SDLXLIFF Converter and this could include comments and be formatted using the horizontal layout as an accompanying document showing source, target and the comments?

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul. How do I do that and do I do this before saving the final target file? This might just work. The client uses no CAT tools at all. Presumably they could simply open this in Word?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:53
English
Any time... Oct 11, 2011

Hi Lisa,

Once you have finished your translation seems to be the most appropriate time. The text should be fully translated and Studio will hold all the comments you made as you worked. This way the bilingual file should be a representation of what you give to your client.

If you are using 2009 then all you need to do is download the SDLXLIFF Converter from here:
... See more
Hi Lisa,

Once you have finished your translation seems to be the most appropriate time. The text should be fully translated and Studio will hold all the comments you made as you worked. This way the bilingual file should be a representation of what you give to your client.

If you are using 2009 then all you need to do is download the SDLXLIFF Converter from here:

SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office : http://tinyurl.com/sdlxliffconverter

If you're using 2011 then there is no need to download because there is a new version (that supports tracked changes and has other enhancements) provided with the 2011 install. You can find it in Start - All programmes - SDL - SDL Trados Studio 2011 - Open Exchange Apps

It's pretty simple to use and there is a guide with the tool. There is also a short overview video here that might help (it is for 2011 but the process is the same):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElLC8xqhqc

If you get stuck post back, but I think you'll be surprised how simple, and powerful, this tool is. The file created can be a Word file, but also excel. I think word is the best option, and if you want to allow the client make changes to the target text then you can import this back into Studio again and the changes will be reflected in the bilingual file.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-10-11 22:14 GMT]
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Converter Oct 12, 2011

Thanks Paul, as ever.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comments in Studio 2009

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »