Conversion of excell files into Trados TM files
Thread poster: JESUS L VIEITES
JESUS L VIEITES
JESUS L VIEITES
Local time: 14:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

I was wondering how to convert a glossary in excell format into a readable Trados 2009 format (TXM)

Thanks in advance

AnnaKuzm
AnnaKuzm
United States
Local time: 05:08
Glossaries Oct 11, 2011

Hi - If I were you I would convert any Excel glossaries to MultiTerm, then you get indications in your source segment that a term there is in the Multiterm termbase and you can use the QuickInsert to insert the correct term in your target segment.

JESUS L VIEITES
JESUS L VIEITES
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But how do I do the conversion into Multiterm? Oct 11, 2011

I am jumping from the pan into the fire!!!!

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:08
Spanish to French
+ ...
How about this tool? Oct 11, 2011

I've just found it on another translator's forum by googling convert xls into TMX.
http://ankudowicz.com/tmbuilder/
Haven't tried though.

HTH

[Modifié le 2011-10-11 19:17 GMT]

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
one way or the other Oct 12, 2011

JESUS L VIEITES wrote:
I was wondering how to convert a glossary in excell format into a readable Trados 2009 format (TXM)

You’ll need Trados Workbench (TWB) for this, aka Trados2007 (included in Studio2009)...

Save the excel source and target colums as a ((tab delimited)) .txt file.

Replace* all LineBeginnings with:
‹/TrU›^p‹TrU›^p‹CrU›VIEITES^p‹Seg L=EN-US›
Replace* all Tabs with:
^p‹Seg L=NL-NL›

Cut first line (‹/TrU›^p) and paste onto last.

Steal a header from a TWB TM.txt export and paste on top of file.
This .txt file can be imported into a TWB TM, which can be upgraded to Studio status, or exported as a .tmx file.

* Obviously, adjust as needed

This is the only reason for me to keep old TWB installed.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Article Oct 12, 2011

How to make a TM out of your file: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3194/

But, as posted above, this is probably a bad idea. Use MultiTerm for glossaries. There are dozens of decent guides on how to do a MT import using MultiTerm Convert, on proz and elsewhere, so I'm not going to look them up for you. Just do a google search.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Works like a charm Oct 12, 2011

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

I've just found it on another translator's forum by googling convert xls into TMX.
http://ankudowicz.com/tmbuilder/
Haven't tried though.

HTH

[Modifié le 2011-10-11 19:17 GMT]

I've used TM Builder for quite some time and it works like a charm.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
bad glossaries Oct 12, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
... this is probably a bad idea. Use MultiTerm for glossaries.

Quite so – if they’re any good, which, sadly, is rare.

The idea is to have a delivered glossary available without interfering*, ie you’d have it as an added TM in Studio strictly for concordance searches– not in MultiTerm, which would turn into something mindnumbingly stupid if, say, you have been sent a Trojan horse with entries such as
Copy Kopiëren

Note the upper case chic, and that the verb is an infinitive, which is infinitely useless.

So – a TM it will be.

And here’s another way:

Open the tab delimited .txt file in Studio. Select all segments (rows) and change their translation status to Translated. Save file and import into an existing Studio TM. Done.

*MultiTerm is a magnificently controllable typing aid.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Not edited
FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Are you sure? Oct 12, 2011

Stefan de Boeck wrote:

The idea is to have a delivered glossary available without interfering*, ie you’d have it as an added TM in Studio strictly for concordance searches– not in MultiTerm, which would turn into something mindnumbingly stupid if, say, you have been sent a Trojan horse with entries such as
Copy Kopiëren

Note the upper case chic, and that the verb is an infinitive, which is infinitely useless.

So – a TM it will be.

That's your opinion, not objective reality.
The fact of the matter is that MT does automatic lookups in the background and allows for term insertion in Studio (the "typing aid" functionality). You lose these if you go the TM route, as well as getting your termbase hits mixed with real TM hits. And... what exactly do you get in return? Why is a TM a better way to use your glossary? I honestly can't think of anything.
If the glossary is of poor quality or unsuitable for auto-insertion, then that might limit its usefulness as a MT termbase - but importing it into a TM does nothing to fix any of these problems. Doing things like lower-casing everything before importing the termbase might.

Stefan de Boeck wrote:
And here’s another way:

Open the tab delimited .txt file in Studio. Select all segments (rows) and change their translation status to Translated. Save file and import into an existing Studio TM. Done.

That won't work, at least not in the simple way you're suggesting. If you open a tab delimited txt file in studio, both columns will be part of the source segment. Studio might have some special feature that does what you're suggesting (open a tab delimited file as a bilingual file), but I haven't heard of it yet. Using one of the many aligners/TMX converters is surely easier.

[Edited at 2011-10-12 15:51 GMT]

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
quite Oct 12, 2011

That's your opinion, not objective reality.

Really? Objective and all that?

… (the "typing aid" functionality). You lose (this)

No, I keep it fully functional, by preventing the glossary to interfere.

… as well as getting your termbase hits mixed with real TM hits

No, the gloss is in a separate TM. This is Studio after all. Glossy TM would have a distinctive CrU (as imported in TWB) or even a unique string (such as ‘ixop’) added on the source side to easily and clearly distinguish them from other TM hits.

Why is a TM a better way to use your glossary? I honestly can't think of anything.

To have the thing ready when actually needed. Not whenever it thinks it is needed.

That won't work, at least not in the simple way you're suggesting.

Yes, it will. Scroll down, Farkas. Objective reality may hold more file types than are readily visible.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Summary Oct 12, 2011

So, your point is that you find a glossary of dubious quality less intrusive/annoying if it's added as a TM then if it's added as a termbase.
That may be true for you in certain circumstances (you have another, better termbase that you're using for autosuggest, the glossary is indeed of dubious quality and you won't be consulting it very often, you don't mind having to check the IDs in the TM hit window etc.)
However, there isn't much reason to believe that these circumstances are pr
... See more
So, your point is that you find a glossary of dubious quality less intrusive/annoying if it's added as a TM then if it's added as a termbase.
That may be true for you in certain circumstances (you have another, better termbase that you're using for autosuggest, the glossary is indeed of dubious quality and you won't be consulting it very often, you don't mind having to check the IDs in the TM hit window etc.)
However, there isn't much reason to believe that these circumstances are present in the OP's case, or the case of anyone else reading this thread. I don't think he ever mentioned that the glossary is a poor one. As a general rule, it's not a good idea to make a TM out of glossary data unless you have clear reasons for doing so. In this particular case, it's pretty clear that the reason why the original poster asked about making a TM out of his glossary is that he simply didn't know about MT termbases (see 2nd post).

[Edited at 2011-10-12 19:23 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
redirect Oct 13, 2011

As a general rule, it's not a good idea to make a TM out of glossary data (…)

Speaking generally, without laying down the rules here, it may be the smartest thing to do. In particular I’m thinking of the Microsoft.TBX. A very useful thing to have around, but do I need MultiTerm to dig up and present its entries for
driver
Java
key
plus sign
link
Find

?
Trust me, I don’t. So a TM it is, enabled only for concordance.
(With omission, fyi, of the Definition and Part of Speech fields, so the TUs stand out when they pop up in the concordance window. User name of BIGFOOT. I indulge in silliness much of the time, so if anyone out there should like to receive a MicroTerm.tmx EN-US and/or -UK into NL-NL, just mail me. It may be of more use than some convoluted macro or other.)
… the reason why the original poster asked…

I don’t know why the original poster asked, but it was about converting an excel file, containing glossary data, into a .tmx.
Excel files, notoriously, are treated as holdalls. They may have a lot of useful data to which, however, the entire Microsoft.tbx thing applies, and, besides these (the holdall effect) e.g. a long list of error messages and their translation – as I’ve seen delivered, I’m not making this up – that won’t perform particularly well as terminology, or won’t even fit within the 256 character limit for MT2009/11 entries.
Which yet again is why, in the real world, it’s a good thing to know how to turn an XLSx not into a termbase – but into a TMx.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion of excell files into Trados TM files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »