"Not supported markup element" error when creating target file (bilingual word file with Studio 2011
Thread poster: Martina Elsner
Martina Elsner  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:17
English to German
Oct 11, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am translating a bilingual word file (the "old" Trados format that was plugged into word) with Trados Studio 2011. When I try to generate the target translation I get the error message "Not supported markup element". I assumed it would have to do with tags, so I went into "Options" > "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench" and disabled the "tag check", but this didn't help.

I am able to work around this by copying the original doc and adding the copy into the project as a new file. The TM will then fill up the file with my translations and when I try to generate the target translation, it works fine. However, I would really like to get behind the error

I'm using:
SDL Trados Studio 2011 - 10.0.2692.0
SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 8.3.0.863
Microsoft Office Word 2003 (11.8328.8341) SP3

All help is much appreciated!
Cheers,
Martina

[Edited at 2011-10-11 23:09 GMT]

BTW: I got this error on two separate occasions already, but I have also successfully generated bilingual target translations without the error. Unfortunately I couldn't find the important difference between the files that work and the ones that don't.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 23:14 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Martina Elsner  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:17
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I think I solved it Oct 12, 2011

I think I found the cause of the problem, so in case anyone else is getting frustrated over the error messages and stumbles over this post:

Check if you have any comments in your file and if so, delete them. After deleting the comments I was able to generate the target translation without error.

Fong-chyi Wen  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:17
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
I still have the problem Oct 31, 2011

Hi,

Well, my document has no comments or track changes, but this message still popped up. I finally had to copy the text to a new document and converted it to ttx so that I could glean the TM. What a waste of time!! Can't 2011 just detect the problem when it opens a bilingual Word file?

Regards,

Wen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Not supported markup element" error when creating target file (bilingual word file with Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search