International Translation Day 2018

Join for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

"Not supported markup element" error when creating target file (bilingual word file with Studio 2011
Thread poster: Martina Elsner

Martina Elsner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
English to German
Oct 11, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am translating a bilingual word file (the "old" Trados format that was plugged into word) with Trados Studio 2011. When I try to generate the target translation I get the error message "Not supported markup element". I assumed it would have to do with tags, so I went into "Options" > "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench" and disabled the "tag check", but this didn't help.

I am able to work around this by copying the original doc and adding the copy into the project as a new file. The TM will then fill up the file with my translations and when I try to generate the target translation, it works fine. However, I would really like to get behind the erroricon_frown.gif

I'm using:
SDL Trados Studio 2011 - 10.0.2692.0
SDL Trados Translator's Workbench
Microsoft Office Word 2003 (11.8328.8341) SP3

All help is much appreciated!

[Edited at 2011-10-11 23:09 GMT]

BTW: I got this error on two separate occasions already, but I have also successfully generated bilingual target translations without the error. Unfortunately I couldn't find the important difference between the files that work and the ones that don't.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 23:14 GMT]


Martina Elsner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
English to German
I think I solved it Oct 12, 2011

I think I found the cause of the problem, so in case anyone else is getting frustrated over the error messages and stumbles over this post:

Check if you have any comments in your file and if so, delete them. After deleting the comments I was able to generate the target translation without error.


Fong-chyi Wen  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
I still have the problem Oct 31, 2011


Well, my document has no comments or track changes, but this message still popped up. I finally had to copy the text to a new document and converted it to ttx so that I could glean the TM. What a waste of time!! Can't 2011 just detect the problem when it opens a bilingual Word file?




To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Not supported markup element" error when creating target file (bilingual word file with Studio 2011

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search