Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:59
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 12, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a largish excel document with lots of occurances of a chemical formula in the running text. I was trying to save me the effort of manually adding the necessary subscript tags each time, but this seems impossible, as neither Multiterm, nor Autotext, nor search&replace seems to be able to cope with those tags. What I get is always the whole formula with all regular characters (as in "H2O", whereas I'd like the "2" to be subscript).

Is there any possibility to achieve what I want (preferrably by search&replace, as I've already completed the translation)? Is it an extra obstacle that the document is an excel table?

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
English to Hungarian
After completing the translation Oct 12, 2011

I suggest doing this with the saved target (backup) file in Word (then copy/paste it back to Excel).

Go to Find/Replace and check Wildcard checkbox.
Find:
([a-zA-Z]{1,})([0-9]{1,})
(to find every letter that is directly followed by a number)
Replace with:
\1ß\2ß
(to put these numbers between ßs /or any other suitable character that the text does not contain/).

Find:
(ß)(*)(ß)
(to find numbers between ß)
Replace with:
\2 (Format/Character: subscript)
(to format them as subscript and delete ß).

Before these operations check the text for possible unwanted conversions, for example, in „Audi A8” the number would also be converted to a subscript.

If you mean that a single formula occurs many times (not several formulas) then in the first step, for example,
Find: H2O
Replace with: Hß2ßO
the second step should be the same as above.

[Módosítva: 2011-10-12 10:21 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2011-10-12 10:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: How to search and replace including subscript tags

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search