Laura Morwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:43
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 12, 2011

Hi all,

I have finished a long translation in Trados 2007 and have finalised it. The original file is in Excel. When I try to open the finalised document, I get an error message saying "Excel found unreadable content in ..... Do you want to recover." When I click yes, my document is empty!

I also cannot generate a target view through tageditor. Error message reads " application error"

Apart from a lot of copy and paste, does anyone know a way around this problem?
Better still, can someone try and explain what the problem is?

Many thanks,

Laura

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:43
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados problems? Oct 12, 2011

I met many instances of this problem and I redo translation in Trados (e.g. TagEditor, SDLX or Studio 2009) to obtain the final Excel file. PC memory can be the cause of problem.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:43
Italian to German
+ ...
No explanation for the problem, but... Oct 12, 2011

Dear Laura,

I cannot explain the Trados problem but would like to suggest the following work-around (if the excel file is not too complex):
1. Copy the original excel columns in a Word document.
2. Translate the Word document using the memory filled with your translation and clean it.
3. Paste the translated columns in the excel document.

This work-around still includes some copy-paste but is rather quick.

For the future, I would suggest that you create a ttx file from the xls/xlsx file, translate only one segment and immediately try to save as target. Unfortunately, many original files are unfit for translation and in this way you know from the beginning whether the file can be translated without any preparatory work. After quite a few bad surprises, I always test "save target" right in the beginning of a new project.

HTH
Martina

TAKAKO CN6YR
Japan
Local time: 02:43
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
So, no difference between 2007 and 2009? Oct 12, 2011

I am about to get to a project which was provided in Excel...

Laura Morwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:43
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you kind colleagues! Oct 13, 2011

Martina, thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work but I think the Excel file is just weird. I will certainly do a test in future before I do a whole translation, this has caused me no end of hassle!

Soonthon, thanks for your suggestion as well. I bought Trados 2009 a while ago and haven't got round to installing it. So that's what I've been doing today. It's never straight forward though...

Meanwhile, my agency has solved the problem at their end so I am eternally grateful.

With kind regards, Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finalised excel file empty in 2007

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search