Thread poster: Annie Batten

Annie Batten  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:08
French to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering whether anyone can clarify a couple of things for me. I'm still a student but have purchased SDL Trados Studio 2011 with my meagre savings and am now trying to learn to use it. I have downloaded Multiterm but am unsure about how to create termbases/add new terms.

This will certainly seem like a very thick question but how do I add terms I have found on a glossary available on the internet, for example http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/EN/Files/4064_en.pdf which has some useful education-related terms for me? It doesn't appear to be possible to cut and paste into Multiterm so is the only way to enter these terms to manually type in each one? Since I'm totally new to Trados/Multiterm I obviously don't have any data in it so I'm wondering how I start to build up termbases that may of use as I start to use Trados to translate documents?

Apologies again for this terribly basic question, I would be grateful for any advice as am totally lacking in knowledge of CAT tools.

Many thanks

Louisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Isabelle Derson  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
clue Oct 15, 2011

Hi Louisa,

just a clue : you should look in the Multiterm Convert help (part of the package)

I don't think you can directly convert PDF, but maybe other file formats(like xls)

[Modifié le 2011-10-16 06:53 GMT]

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
English to Spanish
First step: put it in table format Oct 15, 2011

annielou wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering whether anyone can clarify a couple of things for me. I'm still a student but have purchased SDL Trados Studio 2011 with my meagre savings and am now trying to learn to use it. I have downloaded Multiterm but am unsure about how to create termbases/add new terms.

This will certainly seem like a very thick question but how do I add terms I have found on a glossary available on the internet, for example http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/EN/Files/4064_en.pdf which has some useful education-related terms for me? It doesn't appear to be possible to cut and paste into Multiterm so is the only way to enter these terms to manually type in each one? Since I'm totally new to Trados/Multiterm I obviously don't have any data in it so I'm wondering how I start to build up termbases that may of use as I start to use Trados to translate documents?

Apologies again for this terribly basic question, I would be grateful for any advice as am totally lacking in knowledge of CAT tools.

Many thanks

Louisa

Hi Louisa,

The very first step is putting your glossary in table format (one column per language), in an Excel worksheet for instance.

Once you have done this, as Isabelle suggested, you would use MultiTerm Converter to convert you table-format glossary into a usable MultiTerm termbase.

If you read the MultiTerm Help, you will find it useful.

Good luck!

Miguel

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Step-by-step help Oct 17, 2011

Hi Louisa,

Maybe you will find this helpful:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/08/importing-excel-glossaries-into_03.html

There is some information in there about how to create termbases and use them with Trados/Studio.

Best of luck!

Nora

Annie Batten  Identity Verified
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice! Oct 18, 2011

Thanks everyone, your advice has helped me start getting to grips with MultiTerm. Nora, your blogspot is brilliant, the instructions are very clear and easy to follow, it's really a great help for people like me who aren't very computer- savvy and have to try and understand a lot of IT- related terms and concepts on top of the practical translation side of things! I have been using the MultiTerm Help instructions too but it's tricky when you're unfamiliar with many of the terms and concepts!

Thanks again all!

Louisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm help for extreme beginners!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search