Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: David Turnbull
David Turnbull
David Turnbull  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Russian to English
Oct 15, 2011

I have been caught out so many times after translating a large document and then getting an error message when "saving target as..." that I save it regularly during the course of translation.
Now I have a Word file supplied by an agency. It is the result of OCR-ing a pdf. When I try to "save target as..." even before translating, I get the error message "an error occurred whilst writing the document."

Any suggestions, PLEASE?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:05
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Repair the Word file Oct 15, 2011

OCR files are the worst you can get.
Open the file in Word. Press CTRL+A to select the whole text.
Press CTRL+D, chose ONE font (Arial or whatever), press ok.
Press CTRL+D again, go to Character Spacing tab and select Scale "100%". For Spacing select Normal, and deselect "Kerning".
Save the file as a different Word version. Close Word. Reopen Word, reopen file, save in the same version as previous.
If that does not help, open file in OpenOffice and save as Word. The
... See more
OCR files are the worst you can get.
Open the file in Word. Press CTRL+A to select the whole text.
Press CTRL+D, chose ONE font (Arial or whatever), press ok.
Press CTRL+D again, go to Character Spacing tab and select Scale "100%". For Spacing select Normal, and deselect "Kerning".
Save the file as a different Word version. Close Word. Reopen Word, reopen file, save in the same version as previous.
If that does not help, open file in OpenOffice and save as Word. Then try again.
Collapse

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009" Oct 15, 2011

Thank you.

Unfortunately the first solution doesn't work

And The OpenOffice route just causes Trados to crash

Can you suggest anything else - maybe pasting sections of the text one by one into a new Word document?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unfortunately not... Oct 15, 2011

without in fact seein the file I can't tell you anything more.
The file is the culprit here, certainly - automatically OCRed files are really problematic.
So my best solution would be asking the customer for a workable file or the source PDF and converting that one myself.

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009" Oct 15, 2011

Thank you, but I'm afraid your suggestions are not practicable. How does the agency or anyone know what is a workable file in Trados?
I don't have OCR software and since there are very few on the market that do Russian, I could spend $500 and still be in the same position.

I like Trados but this seems to me to be a weakness. If it can convert a Word file into SDLXIFF, it should be able to convert it back to Word, especially if it's untouched!

It should be able
... See more
Thank you, but I'm afraid your suggestions are not practicable. How does the agency or anyone know what is a workable file in Trados?
I don't have OCR software and since there are very few on the market that do Russian, I could spend $500 and still be in the same position.

I like Trados but this seems to me to be a weakness. If it can convert a Word file into SDLXIFF, it should be able to convert it back to Word, especially if it's untouched!

It should be able to come up with a target file of a translation, even if there are errors with tags
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You do miss the point here Oct 15, 2011

David Turnbull wrote:

It should be able to come up with a target file of a translation, even if there are errors with tags

To start with your wrote "Now I have a Word file supplied by an agency". So not Studio has converted the file, but the agency.

"How does the agency or anyone know what is a workable file in Trados?"
This is the job of the agency. If they order a job in Trados, they should provide workable files. The problem with OCR is a very well known one - there are thousands of ways how to deal with. I would just start with reading the text with OCR and saving as plain text. Then apply formatting and the file will be workable.

"I could spend $500 and still be in the same position."
Look at the Abbyy Fine Reader, a Russian software, a perfect one to me. And the price is very decent, I think around 150 EUR, but you may be lucky to get it even cheaper.
Recently I have used it to OCR a quite complicated tabled structure on 10 pages of a Polish document and was able to restore not just the text but also the whole formatting from the PDF.
Usually I would have used the "plain text and applying formatting on my own" solution, but in this case I decided to try to use Abbyy (ok, with manual corrections) to keep formatting.
Nevertheless, it is naive for anyone to hope an automatic process will deliver you perfect and workable results without any manual influence.

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this... Oct 15, 2011

...although I do not know what the problem is:

In Word, go to File/Open, browse for the file to translate, select the file, but instead of clicking on „Open”, click on the little arrow next to the „Open” tab and when the dropdown menu appears, select „Open and Repair”.
Perhaps this may help.

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009FA Oct 15, 2011

Thank you.

Of course a lot of what you say is very useful and I am always happy to learn. It's good to get a recommendation on OCR software too.

However, I disagree that I am "missing the point". My point was that Trados takes a Word file - from whatever origin, OCR or not- and converts it to a SDLXLIFF file. It does not come up with an error message at this stage. Then you ask it to convert it back to Word, without having interfered with the file in any way, and it
... See more
Thank you.

Of course a lot of what you say is very useful and I am always happy to learn. It's good to get a recommendation on OCR software too.

However, I disagree that I am "missing the point". My point was that Trados takes a Word file - from whatever origin, OCR or not- and converts it to a SDLXLIFF file. It does not come up with an error message at this stage. Then you ask it to convert it back to Word, without having interfered with the file in any way, and it can't. That is my point
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The source file is corrupted Oct 15, 2011

While you are indeed right, that there could very well be a warning while opening the file and converting to SDLXLIFF, this does not change anything at the fact, that the file you are trying to translate is already damaged.
I might be able to repair the file, so if you wish send me the file to jerzy at czopik dot com.

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009 Oct 15, 2011

Thank you Istvan.

Unfortunately it didn't work. So far, I've had some success with copying and pasting without formatting. but I've only tried part of the document so far

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree Oct 15, 2011

I fully agree with you, most CAT tools once a file is imported manage to export it. I really consider this a shortcoming from Trados what you supposedly gain in speed, etc. is just lost when you have to spend time debugging what should have been right in the first place.

David Turnbull
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009 Oct 15, 2011

Thank you for your kind offer, Jerzy. Before spending your time on it , I will try a few things myself. I may well come back and accept your offer.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Is the file format supported or not? Oct 16, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
The file is the culprit here, certainly

No, really... If the file opens in Word and can be saved in Word, then it should be processed in Trados. There might be lots of tags, there might be formatting problems etc., but it should be saved, period. If it is not possible, then the faulty file filter is "the culprit", not the file.

I do not remember the correct wording from the marketing site, but does Trados claim "support for Microsoft Word files" or "support for select Word files"? Or maybe "support for Word files Trados believes worthy of saving"?

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:05
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
"Disguised" RTF? Oct 16, 2011

Hi David

I had a problem a while ago where Nora came to the rescue and I wonder if it will help in this case?

Nora Diaz wrote:
...our original file for this entire issue was a PDF that I ran through OCR, then saved as Word 2007, then added to an existing project in Studio. But... I have just today realized that my OCR software (ABBYY Finereader 11) doesn't save an actual DOCX file when you choose Save as Word, but a "disguised" RTF

So in short, the MS Word file resulting from the OCR may be a "disguised" RTF (so it won't load into Trados), so before loading the file into Trados, open the file in MS Word and resave as either a Word 2003 or Word 2007 file then open the new file in trados.

I hope this solves your issue

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:05
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
BTW Oct 16, 2011

The above info came from here

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207691-black_strikethrough_lines_in_trados_2009_source_text.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failing to save target in Trados Studio 2009

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »