Failed to save target content again!
Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
English to French
+ ...
Oct 16, 2011

I've translated a TagEditor file (doc file) and when trying to Save Target As TagEditor crashes with no specific message.

I've imported the file into Studio 2009, same thing except that the message is "Exception something..."

I imported the same file into Studio 2011 and got the following message:

Failed to save target content: ".hexadecimal value 0x1E. is an invalid character. Line 1754 position 459

I thought that at least I was getting somewhere. I followed the instructions from the KB, i.e. Open sdlxliff in an XML editor and delete the invalid characters.

Did the same thing for the TM.

However, when trying to Save Target As (Original File Format) the message is exactly the same even with all of the invalid characters removed!

Any help would be appreciated

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What happens, when you open the source in Studio and try to save it? Oct 16, 2011

Without translating?
Does this work?
In that case I would apply the tm on the file in Studio

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source File Oct 16, 2011

The source file is a doc file. When opening it in Studio, I'm getting the famous "Tracked changes" message, so I saved it under Word 2007 (docx) which seems to work but tag handling is different so it would need a lot of editing and it's quite a big file about 30,000 words

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Save as Word 2003 again Oct 16, 2011

The tag handling will be quite similar.
Obviously I do not know how many tags are/were there, but a decent formatted Word file does not have tags either in TagEditor or in Studio.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Oct 16, 2011

Looks like bad formatting with probably poor updates from earlier versions of Word and more, I'll check it out with my client tomorrow, still don't understand why after removing the invalid characters, I'm still getting the same message

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
With Studio 2011 Professional you could use Perfect Match Oct 16, 2011

This would reduce the amount of necessary rework to a minimum, as all unchanged content could be integrated from previously traslated file.

However, I could try to test the file on my system, if you wish. There is a chance I will be able to save te target or find the relevant error.
If, then contact me via jerzy at czopik dot com

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the TTX has been created by yourself... Oct 16, 2011

the please URGENTLY upgrade your SDL Trados 2007 to the latest version.
You are using an outdated version of TagEditor (8.2.0.835), which has had major problems in the past and was quite quickly replaced by the build 836. Nevertheless, your build 8.2.0.835 is really outdated - as you have Studio you are also in the position to download and install the 8.3.0.863 build, the most recent one.
Please visit also the kb.sdl.com page and download there the latest filter update for T2007 (article 3368).
Then you should also be able to save the file, as I did - my build is 8.3.0.863 with that filter update.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Oct 16, 2011

I've got the right version so obviously my client hasn't got it, hopefully that will fix it! How come there isn't an automatic update?

Bernard

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There was never an automatic update in T2007 Oct 16, 2011

The automatic update was first introduced in Studio.
But if you have the 8.3.0.863 build, you should also have been able to save the file.
Please check, if you installed the filter update I mentioned.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still crashing Oct 17, 2011

I've installed the filter you mentioned, not sure whether it installed properly though, which files get updated. I've installed Trados 7 on an external hard drive but I still get the Runtime error message and then crash

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which runtime you mean? Oct 17, 2011

Perhaps Java?
That could be the culprit here.
Please also try a very simple thing: make the width of the TagEditor window just the half of the screen you have and try again.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
C++ Runtime Library Oct 17, 2011

Runtime Error getting the same message under XP and Vista

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failed to save target content again!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search