Julio Ferrandis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2011

Hello everyone

I wonder if you can help me.

I have received a bilingual Word file of a translation previously done in trados 2007. Now what I need to do is do a proofreading of this file using/updating the TM as I go along.

However, I cannot open that file in Trados 2009.

Does anyone know how can I do a proofreading job updating the TM as I go along? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

Julio

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Word Interface file Oct 17, 2011

For Word file with hidden tags, use Workbench + Word to proofread and update TM. If you insist to work in Trados 2009, there is lengthy steps to update your TM; it is not recommended.

Trados 2007 is in the T2209 package you purchased.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Julio Ferrandis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tmx Oct 17, 2011

Many thanks
How can I open a tmx memory on trados 2007 though?

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:09
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
tmx = exchange format, not for direct editing Oct 17, 2011

Julio Ferrandis wrote:

Many thanks
How can I open a tmx memory on trados 2007 though?

Create a new TM with the same language pair. Select File>Import in TWB and set your options. Then select TMX 1.4b (works most of the time) in the lower scrollable list and browse to your TMX file.

TMX is an import/export format and not a proper TM format, i.e. they cannot be used directly as a TM.

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:09
English to Finnish
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 2011 opens bilingual Word files Oct 17, 2011

memoQ can also be used, but since you already have 2009, upgrading to 2011 is less costly.

I've had 2011 for a couple of days now, and have already benefited from the ability to read bilingual files *and* the use of MS Word spell checker for Finnish. Once I figured out that MS Word spell checker was not the default setting...

Denise Muir  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
convert to ttx in Studio 2007 first Oct 18, 2011

Why don't you open the bilingual doc in Trados 2007 (which is provided along with Studio 2009), save the bilingual file (which converts it to a ttx) then open this file in Studio 2009. I do this all the time. Then when I'm finished looking at it in Studio, I simple click "Save target as" (Menu File) and it will give you the option to save it as a Trados tag file so your client can then use it in Trados.
Denise

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual files for Trados 2009

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search