How to upgrade TMs into Trados 2009 when all you have is the tmw file
Thread poster: Thomas Seligmann

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 11:16
French to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2011

The title is self-explanatory really - I have a job to do on Trados 2009 and want to import TMs from 2007. I only have the tmw file for the TM. This works on Workbench every time and there is never a problem, but when I try to upgrade them to be compatible for 2009, it comes up with the same error message that it cannot find the file type (the name of the TM but with either iix or mfw (etc.) instead of tmw.

Is there a way of importing TMs into 2009 when all you have is the tmw file?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Only TMW file? Oct 18, 2011

You also should have the rest - 4 files.
If they are missing:
- create a new TM in another folder, but chose EXACTLY the same name and language pair
- copy the TMW file you have over to that folder and overwrite the newly created TMW
- open this TM now again in Workbench, reorganize it
- now you can upgrade the TM in Studio via Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories

VIP9N
Local time: 13:16
Russian to English
+ ...
For tmw - only the export to tmx works Oct 19, 2011

As far as I know, the tmw is a proprietory and closed format, which Workbench only can open (for example: if it is broken, you will have to apply to SDL only to repair it). As for the file itself, it is a core file which contains the database. As a colleague said previously, it must be accompanied by 4 other files: *.iix, *. mdf, *.mtf, and *.mwf. These are its indexers.

The structure of Trados Studio memory is absolutely different - a single *.sdltm file. Those memories can interact exclusively via intermediary format, which is tmx. So, all you have to do is to export your memory from Workbench into tmx, and, then, import it into a newly created memory in Tradostudio or into the existing one, whichever you prefer. I used this way and did not remember any "updating", but I presume to believe that there could be any other way.

[Edited at 2011-10-19 04:35 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrading Oct 19, 2011

VIP9N wrote:
I used this way and did not remember any "updating", but I presume to believe that there could be any other way.

In fact the TMW > TMX > SDLTM process is automated using the "Upgrade TM" feature in Studio. No need to do this manually.

[Upraveno: 2011-10-19 09:52 GMT]

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, all sorted now Oct 19, 2011

Thank you for all your suggestions. In the end the client sent the remainder of the files, so it was sorted! I normally use 2007 as I am more familiar with it and prefer doing it straight onto Word, but I only used 2009 on this occasions because I needed 3 different TMs open and Workbench will obviously only let you use one at a time. If 2007 had the function of letting you use more than one TM then I would never actually need 2009 at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to upgrade TMs into Trados 2009 when all you have is the tmw file

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search