Thread poster: David Rumsey
David Rumsey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:35
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2011

I am working with Trados Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009 SP3 on Windows 7.

I cannot get the term recognition function to work. I can add, search for and find terms manually, but the automatic term recognition feature in the Studio 2009 environment does not seem to work.

I am only using one termbase, which is enabled and has the match settings of 30%.

I would like to get this fixed before I even think of updating to Studio 2011 or MultiTerm SP4.

p.s. The term recognition function works perfectly in Workbench 2007.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Side-by-Side Tool Oct 19, 2011

Hi David,

Have you tried running the Side-by-Side tool provided by SDL? That usually solves the conflict between Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 where only one of the two can use Multiterm.

In case you don't have Side-by-Side yet, go to http://talisma.sdl.com and look for Article #2947 (enter the number in the search window).

Download the zip file containing the Side-by-Side tools from the right-hand panel.

[Edited at 2011-10-19 01:41 GMT]

Canada
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip, but the issue is with just the Term Recognition function. Oct 19, 2011

Hi there and thanks for your tip. The issue is not that MultiTerm only works in Workbench 2007 or Studio 2009 - it works in both - but not entirely properly. When using Studio 2009, the "Termbsase recognition" window never recognizes any terms regardless of how easy it should be to recognize the terms in the text.

I think there's a fix missing for this...

AntDunn
Local time: 20:35
German to English
Download available that should fix the problem Oct 19, 2011

Hi David,

I had the same problem when I upgraded to MultiTerm 2009 and Studio 2009. Apparently each time you use Workbench some registry files get "rearranged", which in turn knocks out the Term Recognition function in Studio.

The solution can be found here: http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=&r=0.812802731990814

If the link doesn't work, go to talisma.sdl.com and search for "LaunchStudio.bat".

Although it describes this as a solution for Studio 2009 SP2, I'm running SP3 and I'm experiencing no problems at all by using this download.

A very simple and very quick download that should hopefully solve your problems!

Anthony

Atso Puronen
Local time: 22:35
English to Finnish
Why don't you upgrade to MultiTerm SP4? Oct 19, 2011

I would like to get this fixed before I even think of updating to Studio 2011 or MultiTerm SP4.

Umm, one could think that upgrading to MultiTerm SP4 could perhaps solve your issue? It's totally compatible with Studio 2009.

Amy Allen Schleicher  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
German to English
Multiterm SP4 doesn't solve the problem with term recognition Oct 26, 2011

I'm running Studio 2009 SP3 and MultiTerm SP4 and having the same problem. I also ran the cumulative update for MultiTerm SP4 that was supposed to resolve the issue and Studio SP3 says it is fully up to date when I check for updates.

I reinstalled last week and finally got it working and now need to use it for a client with a termbase again and it's not working again. Sigh.

The SDL Knowledge Base doesn't have anything relevant when I search for "term recognition" or "terminology recognition". It's also not a security issue or mdt issue for me as mentioned in one of the older KB articles on term recognition problems.

If anyone knows how to solve this it would be greatly appreciated.

Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:35
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
same problem - found solution Oct 26, 2011

And no idea what the hell is the reason and how to solve it. Everything else is working properly. Termbases are properly set. In my case term recognition did not work from the begining after I had installed Studio. Then all of a sudden it got fixed by itself, for an unknown reason, and worked for some time. Now it has stopped working again. Seems everything is OK, but term recognition is not working.

Finaly I have found a solution. At least it has worked for me!

It is here: http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?tab=opt5

If the link does not work, go to http://talisma.sdl.com and search article 3093 Term recognition may stop working in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 after running SDL Trados Translator's Workbench

[Edited at 2011-10-26 11:06 GMT]

Rosa Grau
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Same problem in Trados 2011 Oct 29, 2011

In SDL's KB 3093 you can read:

"This is fixed in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 and later."

But it is not. I am experiencing the same problem just after installing Studio 2011 and WITHOUT any other Trados version on my computer.

Note: manual search DOES work, only automatic term recognition does not. I am not a software expert, but it seems to me that there is a problem with the interaction between Multiterm and Studio 2011.

I wonder if it would be wise to run the launchstudio.bat patch for Trados 2009 which is given in 3093. As in this case I am not running previous Trados versions, wouldn't this just mess things up even more?

Any ideas?

Rosa

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Do not run the launchstudio.bat Oct 29, 2011

Hi Rosa,

The problem you have will be something different. There is no interaction between 2007 and 2011 in the same way there was for 2009 so doing this will not have any effect at all on this problem.

Based on your description you are not running anything other than Studio anyway. So this means no 2007 or MultiTerm software and this being the case there can also be no reason to run launchstudio.bat even if it could help anyway.

How many termbases are you using?
What settings do you have in place for search order?
Does this problem occur for all segments?
If not then can you share an example of the segments where this does occur?

Regards

Paul

Canada
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this. The LaunchStudio.bat seems to have fixed the issue. Oct 31, 2011

AntDunn wrote:

Hi David,

I had the same problem when I upgraded to MultiTerm 2009 and Studio 2009. Apparently each time you use Workbench some registry files get "rearranged", which in turn knocks out the Term Recognition function in Studio.

The solution can be found here: http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=&r=0.812802731990814

If the link doesn't work, go to talisma.sdl.com and search for "LaunchStudio.bat".

Although it describes this as a solution for Studio 2009 SP2, I'm running SP3 and I'm experiencing no problems at all by using this download.

A very simple and very quick download that should hopefully solve your problems!

Anthony

Graeme Lorimer  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Term recognition stopped working in Studio 2011 + Multiterm 2011 Nov 3, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Rosa,

The problem you have will be something different. There is no interaction between 2007 and 2011 in the same way there was for 2009 so doing this will not have any effect at all on this problem.

Based on your description you are not running anything other than Studio anyway. So this means no 2007 or MultiTerm software and this being the case there can also be no reason to run launchstudio.bat even if it could help anyway.

How many termbases are you using?
What settings do you have in place for search order?
Does this problem occur for all segments?
If not then can you share an example of the segments where this does occur?

Regards

Paul

I have the same problem, I was happily working with everything working and after modifying some term in MT when I ran once again Verify (F8) it skipped term recognition. And now it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Grae

p.s. Only Studio and Multiterm 2011 running with 1 termbase

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:35
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Same problem with Studio 2011 and Multiterm 2011 Nov 3, 2011

In my case I created a new termbase from an Excel file, disabled the other ones attached and that was it - term recognition gone. I have filed a support request but it will probably take ages to sort out as I doubt it will be considered a "critical" issue even though I have to spend a lot more time on the project now searching for the terms manually.

Ines

Joern Wennerstroem  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Trados Studio 2009 SP3 plus MultiTerm SP4 - NOT WORKING Nov 3, 2011

I've installed WIN 7 plus the above software. Much to my chagrin I find the automatic (!) term recognition does NOT work as it per SDL's website is supposed to as of SP 3.
I'll spare the community my seething rage as my deadline draws near, instead I'll respond to Paul's posting (of SDL, as far as I can see).

I use three termbases, I have a minimum match value of 70%, search depth of 200 and for Search Order I have Search hierarchichally until a matching term is found.

I'd much appreciate a prompt reply from SDL on this.

United Kingdom
English
2009 vs 2011 Nov 3, 2011

Hi Joern,

You are using 2009 and not 2011 so you should try running the repair tool here:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3420&p=1

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
2011 Term Recognition Problems Nov 3, 2011

Hi Ines,

We are looking at this now and will come back to you tomorrow, hopefully with a resolution to the problem. Hopefully solving the problem for Rosa and Grae too.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition not working with MultiTerm 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search