Value of project memories
Thread poster: pgschreier

pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:19
German to English
Oct 19, 2011

Hi,

Does anyone have any words of wisdom pertaining to the pros/cons of using a project memory in addition to the main memory(ies)?

I see this option all the time, and until now I've always added the project memory, but I don't have a good reason for doing so. Is there one?

Direct link Reply with quote

Atso Puronen
Local time: 23:19
English to Finnish
More cons than pros Oct 19, 2011

Hi,

I see more cons than pros. Personally I think they can be very confusing when translator tries to figure out which TM the match is coming from.

CON: NAMING CONVENTION

My Studio projects are usually named like this:
Trans_Project_main_name_Type_Buildnumber

If I name my working TM like this:
Trans_Project_main_name_Type_Buildnumber_CC.sdltm

I end up having a project TM named like this:
Trans_Project_main_name_Type_Buildnumber_Trans_Project_main_name_Type_Buildnumber_CC.sdltm

Not very nice or helpful when trying to figure out a segment's origin!

PROJECT-SPECIFIC TMs

If I need a project-specific TM that contains translations only from a specific project, I always create a new empty TM during project creation and set it to update.

CON: STUDIO PREFERS PROJECT TM OVER MAIN TM
From my experience it seems Studio prefers to show matches from Project TMs rather than from Main TMs. This can be an issue if you have used an inexperienced translator.

PRO: PROTECT YOUR TRANSLATION ASSETS
Good thing about Project TM is that if you send your project out to a freelancer, you don't need to send out your main TMs (to protect your assets).

tomoo7
depends on variety of work Oct 19, 2011

Hi, I would say

Project memory:
- good for individual projects that differ considerably in content (terminology), eg. one time technical issues, next time legal etc.
- or different customers (for same technical areas): you need to be sure you don't mix up customer-specific terminology

global memory:
- huge pool of translations, that, however, need to be maintained well. There is no way around maintaining exact Project settings, which are all saved along with individual translations and ... when a following project comes up ...can be used to define 100% hits.

Hope this helps

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Actually I prefer to use a project TM Oct 19, 2011

For me the best thing about a project TM is that it doesn't update the general TM until you have finalized. This means, when in doubt, you can go back to check in the general TM without finding what you have entered in the project TM. It is a sort of double check.

Actually, I have the opposite problem: How to add a project TM when you have to disable the TM originally added to the project (from the customer). I have this problem because they prepare the project using their server TM. then they send me a copy of the TM. To open the file I have to disable the server TM and enter the file-based TM but now there is no longer a project TM and I haven't found how to re-enter it with my file-based TM. Would love suggestions.
Eileen

[Edited at 2011-10-19 14:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Value of project memories

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search