Non-translatable paragraphs in SDL Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: Svetlana Kindeeva
Svetlana Kindeeva
Italy
Local time: 06:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 21, 2011

I wonder if it is already possible to use the NON-TRANSLATABLE PARAGRAPH feature with SDL Trados Studio 2011 (in the way as it is available with TRADOS 2007).
If not, are there any other suggestions?
Thank you very much
Svetlana

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Yes it is... Oct 22, 2011

... and you could also just use the hidden text feature from Word to do the same thing. There is a blog article from Tuomas Kostiainen here on this topic:

http://tradoshelp.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/hidden-text-is-hidden-even-in-studio/

Regards

Paul

Svetlana Kindeeva
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NON-TRANSLATABLE PARAGRAPHS IN SDL TRADOS 2011 and NOT HIDDEN TEXT IN MSO 2010 Oct 23, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

... and you could also just use the hidden text feature from Word to do the same thing. There is a blog article from Tuomas Kostiainen here on this topic:

http://tradoshelp.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/hidden-text-is-hidden-even-in-studio/

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,
Thank you very much for your advice.
What I mean is not exactly the same. While defining a non-translatable paragraph with TRADOS 2007 it was enough to define the text style. I used "block text" and created style file to be included into the non-translatable units. The Find/Replace function excluded paragraphs from TRADOS 2007 elaboration. It will take a whole life to create HIDDED text from all the paragraphs I do not want to translate (Sometimes there 10 000 and even more).
E.g.:
I do not need translation of all the sentences starting with {. It was enough to change Plain text to Block text in the Replace field and Voilà! TRADOS 2007 skipped the paragraghs and left the sentence unchanged. Then I switched to the Plain text style againg using Select all and Plain text style.
Is it possible to make block style paragraghs untranslatable with SDL TRADOS 2011? Changing every {-paragragh into hidden text will take even more time than using copy source function in SDL TRADOS 2011.
Thank you very much for your prompt assistance.
Svetlana

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Hidden style? Oct 23, 2011

Svetlana Kindeeva wrote:
I do not need translation of all the sentences starting with {. It was enough to change Plain text to Block text in the Replace field and Voilà! TRADOS 2007 skipped the paragraghs and left the sentence unchanged. Then I switched to the Plain text style againg using Select all and Plain text style.

Could you assign the hidden attribute to the Block style? It should work the same...

Svetlana Kindeeva
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden style in Word 2010 Oct 23, 2011

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Do you mean hidden from the ribbon? But it would not hide from SDL TRADOS 2011 anyway. If I am wrong, please, forgive my ignorance... And I tried many ways and many times.
Svetlana

ATTN: Paul
Dear Paul,
However, I shall go on using Hidden text column feature to hide certain paragraphs from SDL TRADOS 2011. Even if the procedure of file handling for SDL Studio 2011 is a little bit longer now. I am thanking you again for confirming my right choice. I hope it is not the only one.
I shall be missing very much the old NON-TRANSLATABLE PARAGRAGH function in SDL TRADOS 2007. Probably, one day HIDDEN STYLE feature will be incorporated into SDL Studio 2011.
Thank you again
With best regards
Svetlana

[Edited at 2011-10-23 20:41 GMT]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Changing styles Oct 23, 2011

I do not have Word 2010, but it should not be very different:

Select from the ribbon the proper style, right-click to display menu, select Modify, then Format, Font, select Hidden, then OK twice.

After that all paragraphs in that style should be hidden.

Svetlana Kindeeva
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden font style in Word 2011 is not completely hidden from SDL TS 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Dear Jarosław Michalak,
It works OK. Thank you very much. Only that it is better to rename the style name to avoid confusion in future. Somehow, not all the paragraphs want to hide from SDL TS 2011. I don't know why. I just go on trying the two ways, hidden text columns and hidden font style. Then I'll choose the one that is more time-saving and practical.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!!!
Svetlana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-translatable paragraphs in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search