Beginner's question: How to remove web code from word count?(Studio 2009)
Thread poster: SwissLocalizer

SwissLocalizer
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Oct 22, 2011

Dear all,

I need to make a word count/cost estimation for the translation of a (huge) .xml file in Trados.

As the client doesn't want to pay for the code, I will have to remove it from the word count.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:54
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
try this Oct 22, 2011

Not sure about your file, but this works very well to quickly strip out HTML code:
http://www.zubrag.com/tools/html-tags-stripper.php

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Define an XML filetype Oct 22, 2011

To be on the safe side, you will need to define a new filetype for your XML.

The process is roughly as follows:
1. Exclude all untranslatable sections from display in the Editor (i.e. also from the analysis)
2. Define all translatable content between the respective XML tags as translatable (i.e. include it in the analysis)
3. Use the following regular expression to display embedded HTML code as tags: </?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^><]*>

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
English
A few examples to explain the process Oct 22, 2011

Hi Floriane & Yuri,

To do this you need to only parse the translatable text into Studio. This is because it is the text in the editor that will be counted. To do this, if you are seeing code snippets in the editor, you need to create a custom filetype.

This is not always too tricky... depends on the xml file you have... but there are some examples below that might shed some light on this topic for you if you are unfamilar with this process.

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/FileTypes/t_example_creating_an_xml_file_type_xml_letter.html

Creating XML Filetypes in Studio : http://tinyurl.com/blogxml

If you get stuck come back and ask, there are plenty of users here who can help you with specific questions.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner's question: How to remove web code from word count?(Studio 2009)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search