Trados installation on new/other computer
Thread poster: Joakim Löfberg

Joakim Löfberg
Local time: 02:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2011

Hi there,

I've just bought a new computer. What must I do to transfer the SDL Trados Studio 2009 software that's installed on my old computer onto my new computer? (upgrade from SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance) For surely I am allowed to do this, or no? How does this work please?

Best regards,

Joakim Löfberg

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
New installation Oct 22, 2011

Hi Joakim,

do you have the Plus version of Trados 2009? In this case you can install the software on two PCs.
In case your license is only for one PC you should first return your license to SDL, then you can install and activate the software on another computer. Uninstalling the Trados SW does not deactivate your license. To return your licence, follow these instructions from SDL. You can find them in the Documentation folder on your PC:

To license your product on a different computer you simply return the license to the SDL licensing
website and then use the same activation code to activate the product on the other computer.

1 Go to Start > Program Files > SDL Trados 2007 > License Manager > License Manager. The SDL
License Manager dialog box is displayed.
2 Click View Licenses. The Installed Licenses dialog box is displayed.
3 Select the license to be returned and click Return License. The license is returned to the online product activation centre.

You can now install the product on another machine and then activate the product online using the same product activation key.

WARNING
If you do not return your license, you will not be able to activate the product on another machine.

HTH

Luisa

Joakim Löfberg
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
upgrade process Oct 22, 2011

Hi again,

Thanks for your help, Luisa! I have the plus-version but I might have "used up" the second activation already (I'll look into this).

Do you know how it works if I purchase the Trados 2011 upgrade. Will I then be able to keep the 2009 version on the old computer and use the 2011 version on the new computer. I guess that wouldn't work being an upgrade (of the same license).

So do I download the Trados 2007 software on my new computer first and then the 2009 software again? It would be easier if I could just download the 2009 software right away without going through the 2007 software... Hmmm, I find it a bit tricky.

Best regards,

Joakim Löfberg

Joakim Löfberg
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados upgrade/installation Oct 22, 2011

I checked my SDL account and indeed I have the extra activation still available. Thanks Luisa for pointing me in that direction! This means I'll be able to keep the 2009 version on the old computer and still use it (or the 2011 upgrade, which I will probably buy soon) on the new computer. "Ain't that sweet!"icon_smile.gif

I would still need to go via the 2007 software, no? Or can I get hold of the 2009 software from the Internet somewhere and simply activate it with the license code (without going through the 2007 software which came with my original upgrade from the Trados 2006 version)?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
2007/2009 Oct 22, 2011

Joakim Löfberg wrote:
I would still need to go via the 2007 software, no? Or can I get hold of the 2009 software from the Internet somewhere and simply activate it with the license code (without going through the 2007 software which came with my original upgrade from the Trados 2006 version)?

Hi Joakim,
don't confuse 2007 with 2009. They both use different activation codes (so will 2011). In other words, if you have 2007, 2009 and 2011 you will use three different activation codes.

Please note the following:
1. If you upgrade to 2011 and still want to keep your copy of 2009, activate 2009 first and then upgrade to 2011.
2. Once you have upgraded to 2011, you will automatically lose your 2009 activation code. This means that you will be able to continue using 2009 and 2011 alongside as long as you don't uninstall 2009. If you then uninstall 2009, you will not be able to activate it again once you have upgraded to 2011.

[Upraveno: 2011-10-22 11:45 GMT]

Joakim Löfberg
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
software download Oct 22, 2011

I get that about the different activation codes. What I'm uncertain about is the software. Do I need to go via the 2007 software (which is available for me to download from my account)? It would be easier to download the 2009 software directly (but as far as I can tell I don't have the 2009 software in my account). I'm a bit puzzled about that.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
If you have a license for 2009... Oct 22, 2011

...it should be available for download from your account. If it's not, submit a support ticket through SDL's Knowledgebase.

Joakim Löfberg
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Luisa and Stanislav, Oct 22, 2011

It's been sorted now.

Marges  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 03:17
Member (May 2018)
English to Estonian
+ ...
Deactivation impossible Mar 31, 2013

Hi!

What happens if I have my licence on an old laptop and this laptop is not usable. How can I deactivate the licence if it is on a broken computer?

My SDL account shows that I have 1 in use, 0 available.

Thanks for your answer.

Marge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados installation on new/other computer

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search