TMs from Clients
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Member
English to German
+ ...
Oct 22, 2011

I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong. Perhaps I didn’t learn how to "clean" a bilingual document in the webinar for beginners, hm? At least I can't remember having done this before...

Well, I usually open the client's file, e.g. a MS Word file, with Trados and specify the TM, translate the text and then save the target text for my client. The TM is really doing nothing for me. Where in this process am I leaving out my "cleaning assignment"?

In the meantime, I have made my first attempts to create and populate a termbase with MultiTerm. Although it is a rather time-consuming task to fill the termbase with the appropriate data, it does submit proposals afterwards. Should I send my client the multilingual termbase instead of the TM?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The originating quote Oct 22, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong.


FWIW, the post that prompted this question was this one from me:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/210400-tms_from_clients.html#1827532


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No "clean up" as such Oct 22, 2011

Hi Marina!

In Trados 2011 there is no official "clean up" as such unlike in Trados Workbench (2007 and earlier).

All you do in 2011 is Save Target As to create the "clean" file.

To update the TM, you need to use the batch tasks - either update project TM or update main TMs, choose this depending on which you are sending back to your client (if they have specifically asked for this).

If you have created a MT termbase, this is your property. So do not send it to the client unless they have specifically asked you to create one and you have agreed to do so.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:33
English
Cleaning up... Oct 22, 2011

Hi,

The equivalent in Studio to "Clean up" would be the "Finalise" batch task. This will update all TMs being used and create the target files.

However, I think Marina may be talking about bilingual word files. If you are working with these the "Clean up" in Studio will update the Studio TMs and create a bilingual word file with the finished translation in it. If you want to get the target word file then you still have to do this in Workbench. The process is documented here:

http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

Regards

Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Member
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 23, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:

In Trados 2011 there is no official "clean up" as such unlike in Trados Workbench (2007 and earlier).

All you do in 2011 is Save Target As to create the "clean" file.

To update the TM, you need to use the batch tasks - either update project TM or update main TMs, choose this depending on which you are sending back to your client (if they have specifically asked for this).

If you have created a MT termbase, this is your property. So do not send it to the client unless they have specifically asked you to create one and you have agreed to do so.


This information is very helpful. Thank you, Hazel.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Member
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 23, 2011

Paul wrote:

The equivalent in Studio to "Clean up" would be the "Finalise" batch task. This will update all TMs being used and create the target files.

However, I think Marina may be talking about bilingual word files. If you are working with these the "Clean up" in Studio will update the Studio TMs and create a bilingual word file with the finished translation in it. If you want to get the target word file then you still have to do this in Workbench. The process is documented here:

http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword


I will try this tomorrow. Thank you very much, Paul.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but what are the steps? Oct 23, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:
To update the TM, you need to use the batch tasks - either update project TM or update main TMs, choose this depending on which you are sending back to your client (if they have specifically asked for this).


Marina's original question related to a client asking for an updated TM after she had delivered a translation. The client had given her an existing TM beforehand. Assuming that she had accidentally polluted the loaded TM with translations from another client, what would the steps be for her to update the client's original TM with the translation that she had done, so that the returned TM contains only the original segments plus her translations from that client?

In Trados 2007 the steps would have been: In Workbench, load a copy of the client's *original* TM, then go Tools > Clean Up, then drag-and-drop the TTX file (or Uncleaned RTF file) onto the dialog, and then click the Clean Up button. The loaded TM will then be updated. Nothing could be simpler. What are the steps in Trados 2009?



[Edited at 2011-10-23 08:11 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:33
English
The steps Oct 23, 2011

Hi Samuel,

Depends on whether the clients original TM was a 2009/2011 TM or a 2007 TM.

For 2007 it's exactly the same. Clean up the translated file in Workbench.

For 2009/2011 add the clients TM to your Project, check update against it and run the update memories batch task. Alternatively just import your sdlxliff into their TM... probably easier and only a couple of steps.

Regards

Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Member
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To all of you great supporting people out there! Oct 24, 2011

To explain the situation:

1)

After the first order, my client remarked in German:

"Ich benötige die gecleante Word-Datei in Englisch sowie die uncleaned ttx oder Word Datei zur Aktualisierung meines TMs hier. Mein Liefertermin ist bereits morgen, ich hoffe, dass dies für Sie in Ordnung ist."

My rough translation:

"I need the cleaned word file in English as well as the uncleaned ttx or word file to update my TMs here. My delivery date is already tomorrow, so I hope that this is ok for you."

2)

Regarding the the second order, my client remarked:

"Bitte verwenden Sie Trados, denn im Memory werden Sie eine Menge Begriffe finden! Und bitte schicken Sie außer der clean Word Datei auch eine unclean Datei zurück (Word oder ttx)."

My rough translation:

"Please use Trados, because you will find a lot of terms in the memory! And, please do not only return the clean word file, but also the unclean file (word or ttx)."

I am an experienced translator, but have only worked with SDL Trados Suite 2009/2011 since June 2011. Therefore, please be kind to me


[Edited at 2011-10-24 03:47 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:33
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
clean and unclean Oct 24, 2011

Your client has clearly stated in both cases that he wants the finished translation (clean file) and the bilingual version (unclean file) either in Word or ttx format.
He isn't asking you for the TM.

The only problem is that if you did the translation in Studio and didn't create a ttx first, then your only unclean file is going to be a sdlxliff (Studio format). In that case, learn from this mistake, and always create a ttx for these clients in the future.

The solution right now is to create the ttx, pretranslate it with your TM in Studio and then save as a ttx file again. You won't get a 100% translated file, but it should be much faster than translating from scratch.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your client wanted an Uncleaned RTF or TagEditor file Oct 24, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I need the (1) cleaned word file in English as well as (2) the uncleaned ttx OR word file (3) to update my TMs here.


The client is asking for two things...
1. The cleaned Word file (i.e. the "finalised" file, in Trados 2009/11 terminology)
2. The uncleaned file (i.e. the bilingual file format), and he wants it in either TagEditor (he calls it "ttx", which is the file extension) or Uncleaned RTF (he calls it "uncleaned ... word file").

...because the client wants to do one thing:
3. He wants to update his TM. The way he would do that would be to load his TM in his Trados, and then clean up your uncleaned file, which thereby updates the TM.

If you sent your client only #1, then he would not be able to perform #3 unless you also sent him either the updated TM or a new TM based on the translation. This is why he eventually asked for the TM.

If you had used Trados 2009/11 instead of Trados 2007, then you would not have been able to deliver either of the uncleaned files that the client had specified, because Trados 2009/11 can't generate either of those file types (although there is a small program called TTX It that you can use as a work-around to create TTX files). A second-best option in such a case would be to send the client a TM that you created using the translation.

You say that you underwent training in using Trados 2009/11. I find it extremely poor that the trainer had neglected to explain to you (a) the different Trados formats that clients may ask for and (b) the fact that some clients want a bilingual file (i.e. uncleaned file) from you and (c) how to create an export TM from a specific file's translation. These are extremely important issues for translators who use Trados 2009/11 when doing work for *agencies*.

==

SDL TTX It
To deliver TTX files, you need to download and install "SDL TTX It!".
http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=1

Basically, you create a TTX file, and then you translate the TTX file in Trados 2009/11. However, if the client wants you to deliver a cleaned file also, then you would have to re-translate the original file against the TM a second time, if I understand correctly.

I'm not sure about it, but it looks like you would have to install Trados 2007 as well, although you don't need a license for it, because TTX It will simply use the installed files to do its magic. Can anyone confirm this?



[Edited at 2011-10-24 08:26 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:33
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TTX It Oct 24, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not sure about it, but it looks like you would have to install Trados 2007 as well, although you don't need a license for it, because TTX It will simply use the installed files to do its magic. Can anyone confirm this?


If you have Studio 2009, you can only use TTxIt if you have Trados 2007 installed on the same machine.
If you have Studio 2011, TTxIt will be installed with it (as a separate application), and Trados 2007 is no longer necessary.

I'm sure about this because Paul from SDL confirmed this just the other day on another thread.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMs from Clients

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search