Studio 2009: saying ‘An error occurred extracting the package. Cannot find central directory.’
Thread poster: Maura Kontio
Maura Kontio
Maura Kontio
Finland
Local time: 17:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2011

I’m fairly new to Studio 2009, but I’ve managed to do a few basic projects with it. Today, when extracting a package, I got an error message saying ‘An error occurred extracting the package. Cannot find central directory.’ and the package won’t open. Does anyone know the reason for this? How can I fix it?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Package is damaged Oct 23, 2011

Ask the customer for a new one.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Alternatively... Oct 23, 2011

...you can rename the "sdlppx" file extension to "zip", create a new project with the "sdlxliff" files, the TM and all the other resources included in the package and then send the translated "sdlxliff" files to the client.

I would ask the client for his permission before starting this workflow though.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
@Stanislav: this will not work Oct 23, 2011

or better this will work only in case there was no termbase and no project TM there.
Otherwise the receiver of the package would need to restore the whole package structure.
Provided he would be able to do so (is not that complicated at all) it would however still be necessary to tell this the customer, as no return package can be created in any case.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It will work perfectly... Oct 24, 2011

Hi Jerzy,
I've used this workflow several times. Simply sending the translated SDLXLIFF files (no project package) to the client, who then copies them into his/her project folder, works like a charm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: saying ‘An error occurred extracting the package. Cannot find central directory.’

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »