How WordFast and Studio localize financial reports - any way to combine the two CAT tools?
Thread poster: Maurice Devroye

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 05:02
English to French
Oct 23, 2011

Hello,

I recently used two CAT tools to translate a quarterly financial report and this is what I discovered:

1. Trados Studio will automatically and correctly localize the financial fields ( converting, from EN to FR in this case, 12,295.50 into 12 295,50 ). A great time saver. BUT the effectiveness of this method is limited by the fact that none of the financial TUs are saved in the TM. Please read further.

2. Afaik, WorFast does not offer a localization function and each financial field has to be reformatted manually. (These financial TUs are saved and can be retrieved in the TM).

Studio produced a reformatted report in a matter of hours. But, because the target file had to be .TXML, I spent another day redoing the same report using the much slower WordFast method.

Did I use these CAT tools correctly or did I miss an important feature or option somewhere? Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks for your time,
MD

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't say about WFP Oct 24, 2011

Maurice Devroye wrote:
2. Afaik, Wordfast does not offer a localization function and each financial field has to be reformatted manually. (These financial TUs are saved and can be retrieved in the TM).

FWIW:
I had a look at WFP's options but could not find the option you're looking for. WFC definitely has this function (in WFC 5.x it was an F/R command on PB, and in WFC 6.x it is a separate Find/Replace list).

WFC also has an option to "segment all", i.e. everything is added to the TM, so I wonder if Trados would have such a function.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:02
Finnish to French
See Paul Filkin's blog entry Oct 24, 2011

Maurice Devroye wrote:
But, because the target file had to be .TXML, I spent another day redoing the same report using the much slower WordFast method.

See http://blog.sdl.com/blog/2011/02/using-studio-to-handle-other-bilingual-formats-part-1.html

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 05:02
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About Paul Filkin's solution Oct 26, 2011

Thank you both. Dominique, your link led me to Paul Filkin's solution: create a TXML file type or filter using the generic XML file type. It works to a certain extent.

Two stumbling blocks: a. Studio's segmentation is different and b. Some of the ut tags are not processed correctly in Studio. Specifying that, I am answering the question you asked in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207724-using_studio_2011_instead_of_wordfast-page2.html

As you mentioned there, let's wait and see what the next version of memoQ is going to offer.

In the mean time and not a memoQ user myself, I will soon take a look at Studio 2011. And hope for the best.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
English
Just a few thoughts... Oct 26, 2011

... on my solution

Hi Maurice,

The principle of my solution is nothing more than treating the TXML as a custom monolingual XML filetype, and it's processing a file that has already been segmented in Wordfast so Studios segmentation should be irrelevant I think... unless you are using the Studio TM for export to TMX and back to Wordfast for some reason maybe. Or am I missing something here?

On the processing of tags... it's quite possible some tweaking of the filetype might be necessary but seeing an example might be helpful and maybe we can offer some advice?

On your earlier point...

1. Trados Studio will automatically and correctly localize the financial fields ( converting, from EN to FR in this case, 12,295.50 into 12 295,50 ). A great time saver. BUT the effectiveness of this method is limited by the fact that none of the financial TUs are saved in the TM.

Studio only needs the first number in a situation like this because the rest are autolocalized and are not coming from the TM. So maybe you are trying to use the TMX export in Wordfast and are then not able to see the same benefits because Wordfast needs them in the TM? I don't really know enough about Wordfast to know if this is the way it works but it sounds likely.

Maybe we will see a proper bilingual TXML filetype in Studio through the OpenExchange in the future.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How WordFast and Studio localize financial reports - any way to combine the two CAT tools?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search