This termbase cannot be opened because it has been created with an unsupported version of MulbTerm.
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 07:51
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Oct 24, 2011

I seem to be in deep waters again with the latest and 'most stable' version of Studio v2009. Here is a short recount of events:

1. I am using Windows XP SP3
1.1. I am working on a very demanding translation project - very difficult and 300 pages long, with a short deadline, so there is no time to spare.
1.2. I am 30% through the project.
1.3. Studio generally crashes 6-7 times a day due to incompatibilities with Java.

2. While working on the project to
... See more
I seem to be in deep waters again with the latest and 'most stable' version of Studio v2009. Here is a short recount of events:

1. I am using Windows XP SP3
1.1. I am working on a very demanding translation project - very difficult and 300 pages long, with a short deadline, so there is no time to spare.
1.2. I am 30% through the project.
1.3. Studio generally crashes 6-7 times a day due to incompatibilities with Java.

2. While working on the project today I mistakenly pressed a keyword combination for generating a preview. I immediately cancelled, but still there was an "Out of memory" mistake.
2.1. Then Studio crashed for no apperant reason.
2.2. After the restart, Studio refused to connect the termbases I had been using with this project for days - saying sth along the lines that the termbase could not be connected.
2.3. I tried to first manually delete them from the project list and got the following message:

2.4. I tried restarting both Studio and Windows, manually deleted the termbases from the project and tried reconnecting them again, only to see the following:

2.5. Now, Studio refuses to open any of the termbases it has always workd with.

* This is indeed a voluminous and urgent project and I cannot afford to waste time - if anyone knows the solution - please, help!

Kind Regards,
Pavel
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 07:51
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Fixed Oct 24, 2011

I have been able to fix it. I am posting the steps here, hoping to be of help to anyone, who runs into the same problem.

1. First, I reinstalled MultiTerm and updated it. This did not help.
2. Then I reinstalled Studio and updated it. This did not help either.
3. I zipped the project folder (in order to retain the files in case the following steps proved disastrous), deleted its contents and copied there the vesions of the files from 4 pm today ( I create backups every
... See more
I have been able to fix it. I am posting the steps here, hoping to be of help to anyone, who runs into the same problem.

1. First, I reinstalled MultiTerm and updated it. This did not help.
2. Then I reinstalled Studio and updated it. This did not help either.
3. I zipped the project folder (in order to retain the files in case the following steps proved disastrous), deleted its contents and copied there the vesions of the files from 4 pm today ( I create backups every day).
4. I restarted Studio.

This fixed it.

It must have been the project settings.

Here are the conclusions I can draw from this unhappy incident:

1. Studio v2009 still has major problems with later versions of Java. Update Java and Studio crashes roughly once every 60 minutes. With big projects it would take you 5-10 minutes to restart. You do the maths.
2. If you update Java, even after disabling the usage of the update from Java settings, Java will not let you use the earlier version Studio is looking for (and show a warning message in the Editor window when you try adding a term). You MUST deinstall the Java update, there is no other way.
3. When Studio crashes as a result of its incompatibility with Java, or becase it cannot properly create a preview of a big file, or for any other reason (and there are plenty), it can damage your project files to the point that they can become unusable. If you have not wisely created backups of these files, you are cooked.

4. YOU MUST create daily copies of everything Studio creates while working on a project:
- the project folder (and please, keep this one on D: not on C: or all will be lost when you reinstall Windows);
- the list of projects - you can find it here: C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects\
- the list of clients - you can find it here: C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Project Templates\
5. When creating backups, do not delete older versions of files, but rather create zipped archives from them, so that, if need be, you can revert 2-3-4-5 steps (several days) back.

6. It is about time that Trados starts creating those important files on a separate HDD partition (not the one containing Windows) by default, and starts backing up those files in the way described above, on its own. It is way too unstable not to be doing that!

Although I found the answer myself, Paul Filkin from SDL was kind enough to answer my email with zero waiting (outside of working hours and while being away) and was ready to provide further help, if need be. Thank you, Paul!

To all who have read this - thank you for your attention.

Kind Regards,
Pavel

[Edited at 2011-10-24 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Lina Bulaich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This termbase cannot be opened because it has been created with an unsupported version of MulbTerm.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »