End customer insists there is a workaround to get a tmx. file from a Studio 2009 memory
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2011

So I told them I was going to use Studio 2009, and made it very clear there would be no bilingual version afterwards, just the memory, and they said OK. Now the job has been done and delivered, they say they are sure there is a way of getting a tmx. file. Is there?

The only suggestion I can come up with is that they use Win Align with the two texts to get round it. The crux of the matter, though, is that the Word used is a dodgy Pretty Dumb Format pdf conversion, and I imagine that Win Align, like the ill-fated Amy, will say no-no-no, although I didn't tell them that. The reason I chose to use Studio was because the entire text was plagued with tags, and I reckon on the whole that Studio is more flexible to handle tag problems, simply because you don't have to close down and reopen segments all the time to process them.

TIA for any ideas.

Mervyn

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Getting your TMX Oct 24, 2011

Hi Mervyn,

If you used a Project TM then the process is easy. Just open the Project TM into the Maintenance window and then right-click and choose export as TMX.

If you saved the segments into your Main TM, so the translation is mixed up with all the work you have been doing for years then you have two options.

The first is to create a new empty TM in Studio and then either import your SDLXLIFF into this new TM and then export as TMX, or add this new empty TM to your project and update it with your translation through a Batch task... and then export as TMX.

The second would be to batch export the translation units from your Main TM using the date, or maybe a field name if you used one. This would also export as TMX.

Hopefully one of these will be useful for you.

Regards

Paul

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked like a charm Oct 25, 2011

Thanks a lot, Paul. I wasn't sure what you meant by the maintenance window, and I forget exactly what I right-clicked on, but it converted all right. Much appreciated. Now the end customer is thrilled to bits with the - highly corrupted - tmx memory.

Mervyn

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Batch task not available anymore Oct 27, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

The first is to create a new empty TM in Studio and then either import your SDLXLIFF into this new TM and then export as TMX, or add this new empty TM to your project and update it with your translation through a Batch task... and then export as TMX.

Paul

Importing an SDLXLIFF into a TM? Where do I find that option? As to the second suggestion: I can't seem to find a possibility to do batch tasks after I finalized the files/project and the second option. Would you be so kind as to point that out?

Thanks

- Marinus

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
On your questions so far... Oct 28, 2011

Hello Marinus,

Importing an SDLXLIFF into a TM? Where do I find that option?

Just right-click on the TM in the Translation Memories view and select import:

Then click on Add Files and choose sdlxliff from the list of compatible types:

That's all.
I can't seem to find a possibility to do batch tasks after I finalized the files/project

This is because finalising the project finishes it. If you want to leave your project available then just save the target files instead of finalising it. Once you finalise you need to go the files view and select the files you want to update (probably all of them) and then right-click and select Revert to SDLXLIFF file:

Now when you go to the batch tasks they should all be available.

and the second option. Would you be so kind as to point that out?

I think you are referring to the use of fields to export part of a TM. Basically, if you used fields to identify the TUs you just updated then when you right click to export from your Main TM you can use a filter here to export only some of the TUs based on a number of criteria. In this case I left the date, so could export only recently added TUs:

But there are various options here. Is this what you meant?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

End customer insists there is a workaround to get a tmx. file from a Studio 2009 memory

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search