https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/210545-incorrect_output_of_workbench_documents_from_studio_2011.html

Incorrect output of Workbench documents from Studio 2011
Thread poster: Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:24
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2011

I noticed this issue yesterday and reproduced it today.

SDL Trados Studio 2011
Office 2010
Windows 7

I had an XML document with very simple content but lots of tags. It seemed a good idea to paste it into a doc, apply the Tw4WinExternal style to all tags (since none were inside sentences), segment it with Workbench and translate the doc. I chose Studio to test the Workbench doc support.

In the resulting bilingual file, some tags no longer had th
... See more
I noticed this issue yesterday and reproduced it today.

SDL Trados Studio 2011
Office 2010
Windows 7

I had an XML document with very simple content but lots of tags. It seemed a good idea to paste it into a doc, apply the Tw4WinExternal style to all tags (since none were inside sentences), segment it with Workbench and translate the doc. I chose Studio to test the Workbench doc support.

In the resulting bilingual file, some tags no longer had the External style, and a large final part of the xml file which had been all tags with the External style was just deleted. In the file I prepared today (no xml code, just random sentences), text in tw4winExternal that was between text in Normal style became Normal but nothing got deleted.

tl;dr Some text in tw4winExternal turns to Normal after saving as target in Studio 2011.

I really wish SDL supported their own formats correctly. They claim you can use Studio for their legacy formats, but Workbench docs are flawed, and TTX files get different, coloured match markers from automatic translation (e.g. URLs, not to mention machine translation) that never appear in Tag Editor. And you still need to presegment the files in the legacy versions to be on the safe(r) side. That is why I would never use Studio instead of the legacy Trados software if the latter was required by my clients.
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More bugs Nov 1, 2011

I tried translating a simple word file that contained text in a table, but otherwise with no specific formatting. It included a sentence that contained a colon followed by a phone number (XYZ call: 1234567). After segmenting the file with Workbench, the phone number remained outside the segment (as expected, because it is a placeable). In the bilingual Doc file generated from Studio, the phone number was missing.

To sum up both my posts, it seems that Studio handles only segmented t
... See more
I tried translating a simple word file that contained text in a table, but otherwise with no specific formatting. It included a sentence that contained a colon followed by a phone number (XYZ call: 1234567). After segmenting the file with Workbench, the phone number remained outside the segment (as expected, because it is a placeable). In the bilingual Doc file generated from Studio, the phone number was missing.

To sum up both my posts, it seems that Studio handles only segmented text in Workbench doc files and can ruin non-translatable text in the generated bilingual doc file.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
On your findings Nov 2, 2011

Hi Adam,

On the second one... definitely a bug and I have logged it today. Thank you.

On the first one... not sure why copying xml into a word file seemed like a good idea... seems a bad idea to me However, I can't repro your finding so if you can send me what you did I can take a look and log this too if needed.

Regards

Paul
... See more
Hi Adam,

On the first one... not sure why copying xml into a word file seemed like a good idea... seems a bad idea to me However, I can't repro your finding so if you can send me what you did I can take a look and log this too if needed.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Paul Nov 2, 2011

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I'll try and find the first file for you.
As to why it seemed a good idea to put it into Word — it was part of a set of various XML files that would require different configurations. Since there were no tags within sentences (that would be internal tags), I found it easier to do search and replace in Word using the External style.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
The real life... Nov 2, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

On the first one... not sure why copying xml into a word file seemed like a good idea... seems a bad idea to me

It seems stupid by default but it's the real life.
During several years many companies were using this workflow (e.g. the Logoport crapware for Word) and some of them still use it.
Some of them have good reasons to do so.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect output of Workbench documents from Studio 2011

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »