Cagri Ozturk
Cagri Ozturk
Türkiye
Local time: 22:59
Turkish to English
+ ...
ah... autopropagation Feb 18, 2012

Susanne Rieg wrote:

Exactly! I see this problem all the time with large files and Autopropagation. Studio should be programmed in a way so as NOT to go through the Term Recognition for each segment it autopropagates.

Susanne, I owe you big time for pointing at the link with autopropagation. I turned of autopropagation and voila! Trados was working a lot faster.

Marek Robak-Sobolewski
Marek Robak-Sobolewski  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
English to Polish
+ ...
slowly added segment, but only TC+ Feb 25, 2012

I happen to have quite an extraordinary problem with the slowness of Trados Studio (although in my case it's the 2009 version). While most of TUs are typed and approved at satisfactory speed, the approval of a table cell TU (and even more surprisingly, only those with short content, like dates) takes at least 15 seconds, regardless of the length of translated document.

The TM I use has a little over 100k units, but if it were the problem with its size, other segments, not only TC, w
... See more
I happen to have quite an extraordinary problem with the slowness of Trados Studio (although in my case it's the 2009 version). While most of TUs are typed and approved at satisfactory speed, the approval of a table cell TU (and even more surprisingly, only those with short content, like dates) takes at least 15 seconds, regardless of the length of translated document.

The TM I use has a little over 100k units, but if it were the problem with its size, other segments, not only TC, would work slowly.

[Edited at 2012-02-25 11:35 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
multiprocessor Feb 25, 2012

hello

I just bought an Intel Core I7 laptop, it was relatively slow; the guy who helped me for the installation told me that some parameters had to be tuned in order to take advantage of all the processors.
What he did. Next step: install Studio 2011...

Bertrand Malingrey
Bertrand Malingrey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:59
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Slow tageditor, solved Mar 2, 2012

I had a similar problem this morning, tageditor was very unresponsive between segments, even hovering over the menu button took about 1 second before activating them. Typing was slow, like half a second before each keystroke appeared in the target segment...with about 6k words to finish today...therefore a very long day ahead of me, I was going nuts.

After trying many things (registering Trados components, rebooting, running TE in a small window), I just found out that Mc Afee was t
... See more
I had a similar problem this morning, tageditor was very unresponsive between segments, even hovering over the menu button took about 1 second before activating them. Typing was slow, like half a second before each keystroke appeared in the target segment...with about 6k words to finish today...therefore a very long day ahead of me, I was going nuts.

After trying many things (registering Trados components, rebooting, running TE in a small window), I just found out that Mc Afee was the culprit, I disabled "real-time protection" and it's back to normal speeds. Try this if you have McAfee, might work with other AV software too.
Right, back to work now !
Collapse

Vladimir Vasek
Vladimir Vasek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
After the last update the problem disappears Mar 2, 2012

Hi,
Everyone who claims a significant drop of performance after some time of using studio 2011 was right. I have the most powerfull computer ever (core i7, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 64bit). It did exactly same what others described earlier.
However, after the last update of Studio (a week ago or so) the problem vanished.
So, download the last update and you'll be fine.

Regards
Vladimir

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
I have run into this problem today Mar 13, 2012

What I have found that large segments, spellchecking as you type, autopropagation, and termbase lookup all contribute to the slowness. Worst offenders for me were giant segments and spellchecking, then autopropagation.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Me too! Apr 12, 2012

I've also had this problem since upgrading to Studio 2011. It's quite serious since it makes work considerably slower. It's regrettable that SDL have ignored these comments.

Rimas Balsys
Rimas Balsys  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
French to English
Slow speed Trados 2011 Sep 28, 2012

Software upgrade versions always work slower than the native full version, but if it's suddenly working slower it's probably nothing to do with Trados.
I've recently (in the past 18 months) noticed that some Word docs crawl at snail's pace in Trados and it has nothing to do with Trados. One problem is that Word has got so heavy in underlying functionality that the client may have included (or unintentionally copied) heavy features from a previous doc.
Also (as I'm sure you must kno
... See more
Software upgrade versions always work slower than the native full version, but if it's suddenly working slower it's probably nothing to do with Trados.
I've recently (in the past 18 months) noticed that some Word docs crawl at snail's pace in Trados and it has nothing to do with Trados. One problem is that Word has got so heavy in underlying functionality that the client may have included (or unintentionally copied) heavy features from a previous doc.
Also (as I'm sure you must know by now) some embedded pix and graphics slow Trados to near-fatal speed, so try simply deleting anything non-text (make sure to insert a marker like "qqqq" so you know where to replace the element once you finish the translation).
I've just recently done a 60-page job where this was the case.
Good luck.
R
Collapse

Juan Nuño
Juan Nuño  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:59
English to Spanish
Indee it's aproblem of Architecture more than performance Dec 6, 2012

David Samson wrote:

Dear All,

Its really an interesting topic.. which also eats all our translation time.

I have been using Trados 7 for the past four years, and when I use the "Workbench" for translation, I use to type at an amazing speed (I am a high speed typist).

At the same time, when I use the Tag Editor for all those html, xml, excel, power point, indesign and publisher files, all the problem you have discussed here happened.

In Trados 2007 - Tag Editor, when I type and complete a sentence, then the letters will start appearing one by one for the next two minutes (in a bigger file).

What I'm coming to point out is:

Trados 2011 and Wordfast pro are looking similar.

If you download wordfast pro and type using an unicode font, it will take the whole day to type a 1000 word.

If the problem is the same in Trados Studio 2011, it is not the problem at our system or memory (RAM), it is with the make of Trados Studio 2011.

It must be taken care of by the SDL People..

David Paul Samson

PS All other programs run without any delays, Word, Excel, Windows, the internet....etc.

[Edited at 2011-10-25 14:11 GMT]
[/quote]

I have seen that all other programs run Smoothly, I have W7x64 with 16 GB RAM and AMD FX 3.3 Six Core system and Independent 2GB Graphics Nvidia Video Card... and even that it's a workstation capable to deal with HD video editing and CAD rendering, SDL Studio is a very very very nasty guy among my applications.

I have turned off auto suggest dictionaries, turned off auto-translation, set my system processor at high speed manually and many other things and still it's a problem.

I see that SDL for some process runs JAVA that always make problems, JAVA it's very intrusive with the system, can violate a lot the security of your privacy sending undesirable packages to developers and much more.

I highly recommend to use Across, that guys think a lot in large files and performance an set all the configurations and TMXs in a SQL database that run perfectly without loading extra resources, since 5.3 version they minimize the use of services and you can use Dragon Naturally Speaking directly in the editor instead to dealing with the dictation window on SDL.

But away, since SDL 2009 I saw that SDL is looking to make copies of Across GUI and Architecture, I am quite convinced that SDL people know about this problem and they are hiding that they have screw it looking to compete against Across performance.

And finally Across is for free to Translators and very similar in cost for Translation Agencies or large corporations.

[Edited at 2012-12-06 17:41 GMT]

Juan Nuño
Juan Nuño  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:59
English to Spanish
Antivius Overload, SDL Studio poor performance cause Dec 6, 2012

I research in the SDL support KNWB and I found that sicne 2009 version they have a problem with anti-virus programs.

I Have added to my exceptions list the SDL Sutdio Program folder and the SDL Folder inside myDocuemnts folder and problem solved.

Even I have set auto-propagnation function to work again and no latency problems, please refer to this page on SDL Website for more infromation about which folders and settings location you can set on you Ati-virus in or
... See more
I research in the SDL support KNWB and I found that sicne 2009 version they have a problem with anti-virus programs.

I Have added to my exceptions list the SDL Sutdio Program folder and the SDL Folder inside myDocuemnts folder and problem solved.

Even I have set auto-propagnation function to work again and no latency problems, please refer to this page on SDL Website for more infromation about which folders and settings location you can set on you Ati-virus in order to release the overload of files:

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4437

I hope this help more people.

Bests

Best practice to start:
Disable the User Account Control (if not already disabled)
How to deactivate UAC on Windows Vista
How to deactivate UAC on Windows 7

Deactivate your AntiVirus suite software.
NOTE: If this AntiVirus or Firewall suite is the only protection you have, you should disconnect from the Internet for as long it is not activated again.
Uninstall SDL Trados Studio / SDL MultiTerm (if installed)
Restart your PC.
Install SDL Trados Studio / SDL MultiTerm.

After the (re-)installation (without turning on your AntiVirus/Firewall suite or UAC), check if you still have performance issues in SDL Trados Studio or SDL MultiTerm.

If you do not encounter slow performance issues, activate your AntiVirus/Firewall suite software again.

After enabling your AntiVirus/Firewall suite again, add an exception for the products' relevant folders and file types:

NOTE:
These are the locations of folders that are created during the installation (depending whether your operating system is 32bit or 64bit) of SDL Trados Studio and SDL MultiTerm.
All subfolders of the listed folders need to be included in the exception/exclusion list for your AntiVirus.
Any folder you created for e.g. saving projects or termbases that is not listed here, also needs to be included in the exception list for your AntiVirus.

Windows Vista/7:
C:\Users\All Users\SDL
C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Documents\SDL Trados Studio
C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Documents\SDL
C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Documents\SDL Trados
C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Documents\Studio 2011
C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\SDL
C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL
C:\Program Files\SDL
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SDL
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL
C:\ProgramData\SDL
C:\ProgramData\SDL International
C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\My Documents\All Users\SDL
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\My Documents\All Users\SDL International
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\My Documents\All Users\Package Cache
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\Documents\SDL Trados Studio
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\Documents\SDL
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\Documents\SDL Trados
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\Documents\Studio 2011
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\AppData\Local\SDL
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\AppData\Roaming\SDL
C:\Program Files\SDL
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SDL\

Add exceptions for file type extensions to your AntiVirus program:
*.sdlproj
*.sdlxliff
*.sdlppx
*.sdltb
*.sdltm
*.mtf
*.mdf
*.tmw
*.iix
*.stpkk
*.ttp
*.wsxz
*.tmx
*.sdlftsettings
*.xdt
*.xdi
*.xdl
*.ttx
*.itd
*.xdm
*.xdx
*.sdlrpx
*.sdlppx
Add exceptions for the application executable to your security suite:
SDLTradosStudio.exe
MultiTerm.exe
MultiTerm Administrator.exe
MultiTerm Convert.exe
MultiTerm Extract.exe
MultiTerm Widget.exe

[Edited at 2012-12-06 20:23 GMT]
Collapse

davidioso
davidioso
Local time: 20:59
Any other thoughts Jan 28, 2013

I've added files to my exception list in AVG.
I've turned off autopropagation.
I've unchecked File Types...Generate Document Structure Information.

But 2011 is still so incredibly slow I want to chew my own arm off!!!

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Microsoft Security Essentials Feb 16, 2013

Studio 2011 is not a slow problem so if you are experiencing this then there must be a problem with your setup or computer or configuration.

One of the causes might be Microsoft Security Essentials. Check the following thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229145-sdl_trados_studio_2011_sp2_slow-page4.html

... See more
Studio 2011 is not a slow problem so if you are experiencing this then there must be a problem with your setup or computer or configuration.

One of the causes might be Microsoft Security Essentials. Check the following thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229145-sdl_trados_studio_2011_sp2_slow-page4.html

This as been discussed and agreed by many solving slow speeds in Studio 2011.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2011 operating at very, very low speeds

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »