PROZ.COM COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER
Access Covid-19 jobs, answer relevant terminology questions, read industry news and more.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
TRADOS 2011 operating at very, very low speeds
Thread poster: Neil Ashby

Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 17:38
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2011

Hi all,

This is just a general, open question.

I run Windows 7 and just over a month ago I bought TRADOS 2009, included in the price was a free upgrade to 2011 when it was released (a few weeks ago). I have since installed 2011 and the first few times of using it I've not suffered any problems. However in the last few days it has been running at a speed that makes translating nigh on impossible - certainly not beneficial.

Has anyone else experienced similar
... See more
Hi all,

This is just a general, open question.

I run Windows 7 and just over a month ago I bought TRADOS 2009, included in the price was a free upgrade to 2011 when it was released (a few weeks ago). I have since installed 2011 and the first few times of using it I've not suffered any problems. However in the last few days it has been running at a speed that makes translating nigh on impossible - certainly not beneficial.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with speed of TRADOS 2011.

Examples:
Typing is extremely delayed, I have to wait for up to 1 minute for a sentence that I've typed to appear on the screen.
Reading/suggesting translations from the TM, again I to wait several seconds for this.

I've tried:
Turning off autosuggest, dictionary facilities and online translator (SDL's not Google's, as Google is now defunct).

Any ideas?
Any similar problems?

Thanks,
Neil

PS All other programs run without any delays, Word, Excel, Windows, the internet....etc.

[Edited at 2011-10-25 14:11 GMT]
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Something must be wrong with your system Oct 25, 2011

2011 runs smoothly on my Win 7/64, even with ttx files as big as 12 or 16 MB or Word documents over 300 pages for example.

Regards

A.

Marian Popa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:38
Romanian to English
+ ...
Check for viruses/ malware Oct 25, 2011

You might have something running in the background - that is slowing your typing that bad - either keylogging software (very very bad) or malware.
It wouldn't hurt to have your computer scanned thoroughly

Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem here Oct 25, 2011

Hi,
I also run Windows 7 (32 bits) and have SDL Studio 2011.
I sometimes experience delays when typing, like now.
Should I change to 64 bits?
Best,

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 08:38
English to Chinese
Sometimes restarting computer works--for me Oct 25, 2011

I have had the same problem as you described, and when the speed gets too low to bear, I usually just resort to the "dumb" way by restarting my computer and usually Studio 2011 works normally again. I notice that Studio 2011 slows down when I have too many apps/processes running at the same time, and restarting seems to clear out some processes and give more room for Studio to work/speed up. I probably need a faster CPU, but for now using the dumb way seems to work for me.

Neil Ashby
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all for your responses Oct 25, 2011

I run Windows 7, not sure if it is running in 32 or 64 bit mode (to be honest I don't know how to check and to change it - any help Andrzej??).

Word and here at the moment (i.e the internet) never gives me problems with typing, nor do any other programs run slowly - therefore I doubt it's virus/malware related. Also I have AVG (paid version) running constantly in the background scanning for viruses. But I will do a check.

Marian - how do I recognise 'keylogging' softwar
... See more
I run Windows 7, not sure if it is running in 32 or 64 bit mode (to be honest I don't know how to check and to change it - any help Andrzej??).

Word and here at the moment (i.e the internet) never gives me problems with typing, nor do any other programs run slowly - therefore I doubt it's virus/malware related. Also I have AVG (paid version) running constantly in the background scanning for viruses. But I will do a check.

Marian - how do I recognise 'keylogging' software (I guess its recording everything I type so that search engines etc. can concetrate their advertising), does it have a certain file type e.g. xxxxx.key.

I've come to the conclusion that too many programs at once is my main cause and restarting the computer seems to work - but the delays can return quite quickly.

Is it possible that slow internet connection may cause some of the delay e.g. searching for matches??

Thanks once again everyone.
Neil
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Me too Oct 25, 2011

I get long lags occasionally with Studio 2011. I think it happens when I add words to the Word customised dictionary, but I'm not sure. It doesn't happen often enough to worry unduly. I can solve it by closing the file I'm working on and then restarting Studio.

Presumably you have enough RAM?
BTW you can find out whether your system is 32 or 64 bit in Windows 7 by going to Control Panel>System and security>System.

[Edited at 2011-10-25 18:32 GMT]

Neil Ashby
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Miss Goldsmith Oct 25, 2011

How much is enough?? Can you have too much?

I feel a bit silly for not even trying to find out about my 32/64 bit thing....thanks for the info.

In 10 seconds - I see that I have 3 Gb of RAM (enough?? my laptop is only about 2 or 3 years old) and I'm operating 64 but....oops bit, operating 64 buts is obviously too many for any man!!!!

Of course its difficult to avoid having many programs running at once - Multiterm, Internet for looking up words, the origina
... See more
How much is enough?? Can you have too much?

I feel a bit silly for not even trying to find out about my 32/64 bit thing....thanks for the info.

In 10 seconds - I see that I have 3 Gb of RAM (enough?? my laptop is only about 2 or 3 years old) and I'm operating 64 but....oops bit, operating 64 buts is obviously too many for any man!!!!

Of course its difficult to avoid having many programs running at once - Multiterm, Internet for looking up words, the original docs (PDFs or word for making comparisons as often the formatting is not the same), etc. etc.

Thanks again
Neil
Collapse

Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Same problem here Oct 25, 2011

I had the same problem yesterday. I run Windows 7 on a fairly new computer (64 bit). Trados was extremely slow. I was working on 5 MB file with an empty TM and an empty TB. I had to waith for each character to appear on the screen. I had other software programmes running, but I did not expect this to be a problem.

Rosa

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Re. keylogger Oct 25, 2011

Any keylogging software worth its salt would be completely unnoticeable in terms of slowing the computer down.

It takes only a microscopic amount of processing to log everything you type, and very little disk space to store it.

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
The traditional 3 fingers salute Oct 26, 2011

DrNeil TechTran wrote:

Press simultaneously Ctrl+left Alt+ Delete, choose "Start Task manager" (or something like that) and check, what is eating your processor's resources. If you see that the processor's usage is 90 or 100%, look for an application that is the originator of the process.

Very often it is ... a plug-in that supports displaying films from YouTube or XXX sites. Kill the process and enjoy the processor usage of 2-3-5%.

Than your Trados will work fine.

Regards

A.

[Edited at 2011-10-26 19:54 GMT]

Algis Masys
Canada
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
8 GB of RAM and still slow Oct 27, 2011

Same here. And it looks like it's a problem of the Studio itself. Nothing is hogging the CPU, all other applications work just fine, but the typing and cross-segment delays in Studio 2011 are getting on my nerves. I type a sentence and need to wait a couple of seconds before it actually appears in the screen.

And I have plenty of RAM - 8 GB (with Windows 7 / 64 bit). The CPU is quad-core.

For me it looks like the Studio is using the resources inefficiently. Previous ver
... See more
Same here. And it looks like it's a problem of the Studio itself. Nothing is hogging the CPU, all other applications work just fine, but the typing and cross-segment delays in Studio 2011 are getting on my nerves. I type a sentence and need to wait a couple of seconds before it actually appears in the screen.

And I have plenty of RAM - 8 GB (with Windows 7 / 64 bit). The CPU is quad-core.

For me it looks like the Studio is using the resources inefficiently. Previous version of Studio was also slow, but the 2011 looks completely unbelievable.

Maybe the moderators could move this thread to SDL Trados support section? It would be great to attract some attention from the SDL staff.

[Edited at 2011-10-27 07:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-27 07:05 GMT]
Collapse

Algis Masys
Canada
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
The CPU hogger is... Studio! Oct 30, 2011

So I made a little check and found out an interesting thing. The problem we spoke about here can be temporarily fixed by restarting the Studio. However, even after a fresh start, Studio eats up to 50% of CPU time only by going through 100% matches.

And what was the most interesting, it hogs up to 30 percent of CPU time (sic!) when I'm simply typing in a new translation.

The file I was working on was a TTX document (15k words, nothing special).

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just tested that out of curiosity Oct 30, 2011

And I cannot confirm your values.
Studio CPU consumption gos up to even 70%, when performin a QA check. But then it drops to 0%...
When normally working the CPU load by Studio ist between 5 and 25%, but not really more. This is not a problem on my QuadCore 8 GIG RAM Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine. And even less on my laptop, where the CPU is i7 with 6 GIG RAM Win 7 Ultimate, but utilizing SSD HDDs.
Nevertheless, Studio needs a powerfull processor and can get slow, when you work
... See more
And I cannot confirm your values.
Studio CPU consumption gos up to even 70%, when performin a QA check. But then it drops to 0%...
When normally working the CPU load by Studio ist between 5 and 25%, but not really more. This is not a problem on my QuadCore 8 GIG RAM Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine. And even less on my laptop, where the CPU is i7 with 6 GIG RAM Win 7 Ultimate, but utilizing SSD HDDs.
Nevertheless, Studio needs a powerfull processor and can get slow, when you work on huge files - then opening and closing files takes some time. But the work itself is still at normal speed. Compared to MemoQ no big difference in this or that direction, but still faster than Across.
Collapse

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Just to rule out computer performance capabilities... Oct 31, 2011

I'm holding out for Windows 8 before buying a new computer, and am running on a four-year-old 32-bit Vista system.
I only get very occasional lags.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2011 operating at very, very low speeds

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search